Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Coming up to my first service with the GTV (2.0 TS) and it seems to be time to fit new brake pads and discs all around. I'm looking for something with better stopping power than OEM but that won't necessarily cost an arm and a leg, and a good compromise seems to be EBC's Front and Rear kit for £228 here: ALFA ROMEO GTV 2.0 96-2003 - EBC Brakes Discs, Pads and Shoes

What do you guys think? This is purely for street use, but here in Malta the streets are on the smaller side and having a little extra bit to avoid eating a nasty pothole would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have got MTEC grooved and dimpled discs on my GTV TS. They look good but I’m not convinced they are any better than normal discs. They are however quite good value. Pad-wise I’ve got Ferodo DS Performance on the front which I’m quite impressed with. The rears do very little braking and putting expensive performance pads at the back is IMO a waste of money. The most important thing is to make sure everything is working properly. Clean and grease the sliders and make sure you have fresh (less than 3 years old) fluid, decent hoses etc.

·
Registered
765 Posts
+1 for Ferodo DS Performance. In my experience they are less likely to sqoeal than DS2500 and I cannot tell the difference in braking power between the two. I personally prefer to use the same type of pad front & rear so as to maintain the same brake balance as the Alfa designers decided on. I use basic Brembo discs with UV coating for no particular reason.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Got 330s brake updrades on my gtv's. Using mtec grooved and drilled discs and ds2500 pads. Squeel like a pig in dry weather.... Can't stop em.. Got off the shelf bog standard pads on the other, squeels occasionally in dry weather but not as much as ds2500,. For day to day use can't really tell any difference between ds2500 or bog standard.... Apart from the squeel factor...... 🍀

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am also about to "do something about the poor braking" on my 2.0 TS
My planned solution is to fit some 4 pot brembo units from a scrap Alfa 166.
I have 17" wheels so they'll fit.
I need the calipers (Gumtree scrap person - £150)
305mm by 28mm discs (Euro car parts £12 a pair!)
Pads (Original Brembo, £25 a set)
Adaptor brackets (£91 ebay)
Some caliper repair kits to do seals and fluids...say £50
It's all on order/delivered.

So for about £350 I hopefully have 4 pot brembo stopping power. I'll keep you all posted.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are the calipers for 305 discs 4 or 2 pot?
The 166 saloon Brembo calipers are ... Remanufactured Caliper Brembo F 23 127 these ones! I think. 4 pot.
If it all works out i'll do a short guide/post about it. With scrap 166 saloons being fairly easy to find and the rest of the bits needed fairly easy - then it should be a cost effective conversion. The 330mm setup of the 3.0V6 and 3.2V6 versions of our cars are very difficult as all the hubs and off sets are wrong. The need for the bigger thicker discs is unnecessary in my opinion as the 166 is about 150Kg heavier and they are ok for that....

We shall see.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I recently fitted this set up - EBC grooved and drilled discs and utlimax red pads to my 2002 Mini Cooper s and I must say it stops a lot better. The brakes on the Mini are like the GTVs not great. So I fitted the pads to all 4 corners of my newly acquired TS last month and it is better not great but better, so in my view worth it if you can't afford the Brembo solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts