Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got my EBC Turbo Groove discs+GreenStuff pads installed on my GT. they look alright, but i wouldn't say very sexy at all. and the brakes don't feel very good at the moment, but i guess it'll take some time before they settle. about 2 hours' labor to change them, and they said they didn't replace brake fluid as it is good at the moment.

well, the bad thing was actually the xenon headlight. left dipped headlight went off for some reason, and it cost me about 420 CHF (~250GBP) to change. Only the bulb was gone. I wish I had bought one online before asking them to install. They charged me 270 CHF for one bulb, while Philips D2S ColorMatchs sold for 90CHF on ebay!

and replacing one glowplug cost about 100CHF, 50 of which is for the material. though, the engine starts faster now obviously, especially when -8 celcius in the morning keeps the engine pretty cold for a while.

I guess, it is best to buy the material from Germany or UK, and ask the garage to do the installation only...

Meanwhile, a question : It is about 5-10 minutes in the morning before the engine heats up enough to let the A/C start blowing some heat. Is it dangerous to rev the engine a bit to speed up the process, will it crack the block, or should I take it like a man and drive in lower gears for a while ;-)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice one phantom, let me know how you get on with the brakes, im thinking of going for some of the ebc disks but with some ferodo ds performance pads.

Just so you know ferodo are one of the best for brake pads, their compounds are very high quality and are hard to beat. I wouldnt use any other brake pad.

Use DS performance for improved everyday normal road driving.
Use DS2500 for track days and hard driving, these pads will squeel at low speed due to the level of metalic compounds used in the pads.

If your still not happy with the brakes, keep the discs and put some DS performance pads on instead :cool: you will then see what im on about.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
EBC (or any coated disc) won't work properly until the coating has worn off and the pad bedded in.

One of the reasons, I don't like coated discs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
EBC (or any coated disc) won't work properly until the coating has worn off and the pad bedded in.

One of the reasons, I don't like coated discs.
Interesting thought David, id be very keen to know what your thoughts are on drilled and grooved disks.

Im not sure if the drilled/grooves just detract the surface area of the disk so will decrease braking performance under normal conditions.

I have seen cases of drilled disks cracking between the holes when they are qutie worn, this was on a drilled disk with lots of holes in though not just a few widely spaced ones.

I also think the grooves do act as a kind of pad cleaner removing and dust and crap from the surface of the pad, this may increase pad wear though.

What disks would you recommend to go with some DS performance pads?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Meanwhile, a question : It is about 5-10 minutes in the morning before the engine heats up enough to let the A/C start blowing some heat. Is it dangerous to rev the engine a bit to speed up the process, will it crack the block, or should I take it like a man and drive in lower gears for a while ;-)
A/C doesn't work when outside temperature is too low (-3C IIRC). That may not help. A failing thermostat won't help either. 156 thermostats tend to fail open so let too much cold coolant through not allowing engine to warm up quickly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the greenish color on the disc plates were gone, possibly they either tested them, which scratched it off, or they sand off the coating a bit during installation. performance-wise, i guess i wouldn't be able to tell much, but they are as good as the stock ones at the moment. plus it is winter, so, i'm slower on road, and the brakes are wet usually.

about the air conditioning : it starts blowing hot air, only after the temperature gauge shows over 50 celcius. But it takes almost 10 minutes of driving until it reaches there in the morning. And I am scared to use higher rpms (>2500) in such cold engine. as a nicely integrated foreginer in switzerland, i drive eco, under 2000 rpms ;-) though, i can't hold myself from a bit of acceleration in the 2nd gear where you feel the turbo, for a few seconds before i reach the 50 km/h limit.. so many cameras in zurich, it is scary to drive :)

thanks, guys, for the replies.. and enjoy the winter, unless you are in the hotter hemisphere...

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Interesting thought David, id be very keen to know what your thoughts are on drilled and grooved disks.
They can be noisier as you brake. I think a few 156 owners have made comments like that on here. They ought to help braking but probably only in extremes where you brake hard a lot ie high speeds or in hilly areas. They should help to keep the pads cooler as the air is able to flow underneath. Probably help disperse water in wet as well.

What disks would you recommend to go with some DS performance pads?
Normal, standard discs. Good quality branded name like Mintex, Ferodo, QH. You can get these cheap from buypartsby. I'd replace them if upgrading the pads as the old scored ones will cut into the new pads and reduce their life.

Porsche Boxster parked a few doors away has drilled discs. Don't know why .. holes are full of brake pad dust and crap!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the repy Gazza, yesterday I ordered some brembo solid disks and some ferodo ds performance pads so will let you know how i get on with them.

Went for the brembo's as they were only £80 posted and say they are made from a higher carbon content steel. Prob marketing hype but im happy with the price and brembo make good quality parts.

Phantom, id say the brakes will get better with time as they bed in, after 50 miles or so do a few heavy braking exercises from high speed and get them hot, that should wear off any coating and enable the pads to settle in better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, the brakes work fine, but i wouldn't say they are necessarily better than the stock ones. though, still have to check them on highway.

and what about your brembos? are you adding some red calipers as well?

G

·
well, the brakes work fine, but i wouldn't say they are necessarily better than the stock ones. though, still have to check them on highway.

got any pics of these new discs on the car?

·
Registered
125 Posts

Probably not, ill just leave the calipers a standard, just clean them up and make sure they can slide freely.

Will be changing the brake fluid though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i've been using the greenstuff for some time now.. they seem to function well.. only the first pump in the cold(<-5C) seem to be not biting too much, but otherwise it stops well. at least as good as the stocks. though, i hear squeaking just before stopping. is that normal in cold weather? i was hoping brand new disk and pads shouldn't act that way..

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have had EBC Turbo Groove discs on the front with Ferodo pads for nearly a year now (18,000 miles).

I'm still not happy with the performance. As everyone seems to swear by the Ferodo pads, I'm assuming that the problem is with the EBC discs-either they are rubbish or are not fit for purpose (which is my fault as I shouldn't have bothered with 'flashy' discs for normal use).

The only other thing I can think of that would be affecting performance at this point would be hoses (pipes?)?

I'll leave them for now, but I might change them for standard discs at the 84,000 mile service (in 12,000 miles).

(I have solid EBC discs and standard EBC pads on the rear, but am assuming that it is the front that makes the most difference)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Porsche and Brembo actually cast the holes in their disks, drilling causes weakness and the disks can break up under load but holes and groves aren't really needed anymore. They used to be used to clear the gassing caused by old school break pads that would almost float the pads over the disk reducing breaking. This doesn't happen with modern break pads as they use a different bonding agent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The only other thing I can think of that would be affecting performance at this point would be hoses (pipes?)?
I recently changed my front disks for brembo standard replacement solid disks (284mm), ferodo DS perf. pads, Autodelta braded hoses all round and ATE Blue Max brake fluid.

I have to say the pedal is solid now, I put this down to the hoses. The brakes have bedded in nicely and are nice and progressive, they work softly at first but if you lean on them they bite hard and the nose of the car dips. They also have a light squeal at very low speed but its not that loud to be anoying.

Deffo do the hoses, the ATE Blue brake fluid is great as you can see when the new fluid comes through as its bright blue. Also dont forget to bleed the clutch, mine lightened up by 50%.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, one does need a bigger disk and a cooler caliper/pad color apparently... and possibly rims with smaller number of spokes (and without scratches) ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have to say the pedal is solid now, I put this down to the hoses. The brakes have bedded in nicely and are nice and progressive, they work softly at first but if you lean on them they bite hard and the nose of the car dips. They also have a light squeal at very low speed but its not that loud to be anoying.
Hmm....well, my pedals sure ain't solid, but my braking is as you describe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts