Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up on this one, if anyone is interested in buying one to try repairing a variator - dont!

See item number 170433119001

Chap "aquatonuk" is selling a repair kit part number 71715450 at £29 + £2.95 postage.

Called local main dealer today (Wednesday), quoted him part number - "yes sir we can get one for you - £3.95 + VAT - will be in Friday"!

Now I dont mind someone making a profit but hey - that a bit steep: around £25 profit on a spring! :eek:

Now why didn't I think of that one!!;)

It's a Polish email address you reply to, dispite the ebay listing being registered in Derbyshire - not that I've got anything against the Polish mind.

Just though you all might like to know - and if anyone has bought one at that price :rant:- did it work?

·
0 Posts
This cropped up the other day & Gus (Alfatuner) confirmed that folk were paying 'rip off' prices
Not heard of anyone tackling the job though

R

·
0 Posts
This cropped up the other day & Gus (Alfatuner) confirmed that folk were paying 'rip off' prices
Not heard of anyone tackling the job though
He also said the kit was designed to repair the earlier variator that came without a washer, so not even sure it will work on the newer ones :confused:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
bloody cheek. cheers on the heads up though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kit comes with a spring and washer, so sounds like it should be ok for later ones.

I've ordered a kit for a look see (it's less the price of a pack of ****) and I can get my hands on a spare variator so I'm going to do a bit of investigation and see what's the story with these dam things.

Mine needs done and if it works - well quids in!

·
Registered
405 Posts
ill be interested in seeing if the kit works as mine needs doing. keep nearly shelling out 100quid for one but bottle it at the last minute.:lol:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We have them in stock,we sell them to people that recondition engines,but we don't use them because as I explained on the other thread they are a hit and miss afair,as it depends on how worn the variator is as to how long it will stay quiet after a kit replacement.:(
They have been available for years,just like a lot of other Alfa parts that only exist if you know the part number (but you can't seem to find them in eper).:D

·
Registered
38,910 Posts
I wouldn't risk it if it was me.

On the TS cars I have owned I have changed the variator along with the belt on all of them, regardless of its apparent condition.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The appearance of these kits on Ebay has probably got something to do with the fact that the retail price for a variator is now a whopping £158. I've never tried the kit, as I've never considered it worth the risk of having to to the job again for nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts