Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for a new set up upper suspension arms for my Bertone. You could slightly hear it but now its becoming to sound annoying.

Anyone ever tried the suspension kits from ebay? are they any good the price is very low so i'm guessing their quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-147-156-GT-Front-upper-lower-wishbone-suspension-arm-kit-link-links-/171548585690?fits=Car+Make%3AAlfa+Romeo%7CModel%3AGT&hash=item27f117aeda:g:pHsAAOSwiCRUbGZY

Such as this one. a set of upper arms only here in Malta are about 100Euro, Then over 300Eur for the lower. I am planning to change the uppers and the stab links, I don't really need to change the lowers right now.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Total junk is the common theme.

Ebay arms will fit poorly, and wear out in double time... TRW or Birth branded parts are usually recommended as suitable alternatives to OEM (TRW is oem supplier I believe).

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
If you fit a set of OEM arms you will likely get 50'000miles out of the uppers and 80'000 miles out of the lowers. If you fit the Ebay junk you will get around 1000 miles out of the uppers (no exagerations) and 20'000 out of the lowers. Buy cheap, buy 4 times.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Birth are fine, never had a problem with them.

eBay ones are generally rubbish - most of the upper arms have a fundamental flaw in the bushes, they literally break as the car is lowered onto the ground after replacement.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have ordered a birth kit from an Italian seller on eBay. Can't comment on them yesterday as have taken over 1m to arrive!

They were £125 + postage for uppers, lowers, drop links and ARB bushes. Birth are probably the cheapest you want to go according to word on the street. TRW and OEM are preferable, I went cheap as the 156 is now my 2nd car.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
if your uppers are OE then you can powerflex them...never have to do them again.

just grease once in a while to stop them squeaking.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
aah

OK.:thumbup:

does it attribute to this or just create a situation where the bush outlasts the Joint?
For what it's worth, my original arms had only slight play in the mounting bushes at 60k, but the balljoints were stuffed...

Got a powerflexed set of originals in at the moment (good second handers from Loz), and am fully expecting the balljoints to go bad before anything else.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
all mine were done 20k ago, uppers and lowers genuine at Loz's place..so I am hoping that they will give me another 30k or 3 years..be happy with another 20k though..!

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
If you powerflex and the joint goes, you should be able to transfer the powerflex bushes to the new arms.

They usually just push fit, but you would of course have to remove the new bushes in the new arms to fit them.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I've bought ebay cheap suspension twice for my old 147s. Powerflexed one upper arm set for the GTA. They were fine to be honest. I originally bought them as a quick MOT fix but they surprisingly lasted long enough for me to change cars.. I would opt for birth from ebay italy if I ever had to buy a set again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts