Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a new fmic (front mount intercooler) for my gt and was checking on eBay, placed a max bid of £50 on 1 auction with me being the highest bidder at 99p. Just checked today and I'm the only bidder, auction has ended I won it for 99p!!!! But now I have an email via the seller "your bid has been cancelled, auction has ended"

:(
What's the point in selling the item with no reserve if the seller decides "nope, I'm not giving it away for that price"

Item: 3" UNIVERSAL FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER KIT MAZDA TOYOTA MITSUBISHI SUBARU FORD
Item #: 220929149384

Although I've previously won a decat pipe kit for the supra for £2.89 and the seller was happy with that transaction. (not the same guy)

V

·
0 Posts
Can't you report him? Surely this can't be allowed. The auction went full-term and you were the winning bid. Tough titty on him, surely?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't got a clue, never happened to me before. Plus there's no option to contact eBay, it's basically telling me it's over lol. I've asked the seller, what's the reason for can cancelling my bid, no reply as of yet.

I have this email from eBay:
Dear eBay Community Member,
The bid that you entered for the item (220929149384) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Please be cautious if you are contacted about purchasing this item after the bid has been cancelled and as always, avoid paying for your eBay item using instant wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram as these payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.

Regards,
eBay

Ice checked under bid history, and there's nothing there. I can't reply to the eBay email either. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Sellers can't cancel a bid after the auction has ended, he must have cancelled it prior to the end of the auction. Sellers can cancel any bid they like for any reason they like, but if an item ends, they must honour the sale. Thats basically ebays rules. You can also cancel all bids and end the auction prior to it ending, some of the reasons you can give are "item no longer for sale", "item lost of damaged", "item does not match description" etc.

We sold a full beige leather interior from a 166 for £12 on ebay about 6 months ago. It must have cost us £30 in wages to remove it from the car :lol: Thats ebay for you though, if you want to be a top rated seller you have to take the rough with the smooth.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I've had this happen a few times, if you want a minimum amount for an item, set a reserve, bigger starting bid or a buy it now price - eBay don't seem interested either :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
When the hammer goes down the sale is final.

Report the S.O.B :thumbs:
There is no possible way of removing someones bid after the hammer goes down. It is not possible on ebay. As a seller (or buyer) you can request to cancel the transaction, but that is not the same as removing someones bid. Bids can only be removed before the hammer goes down, and a seller is within the rules to do this, for any reason they like. Good sellers won't abuse this, but people looking to get most money for their item will cancel a 99p bid in the run up to the auction ending if it doesn't look like it will get any more bids (only 1 watcher for example).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand. He basically removed my bid THEN ended the auction as it doesn't show ob my winning items nor am I on the bid history.

So anything I can do besides say oh well?

eBay are really taking the ****: ive sold a brand new iPhone 4s for £300, was gutted but not much to do... Sent the item, delivered, signed for... Guy complained he didn't receive it. Checked, it hadn't been signed in his name. He claimed delivered to wrong address. My paypal paid him the £300 back, I couldn't say anything & I couldn't claim off the postal service as it IS DELIVERED. Ebays a big gamble sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I understand. He basically removed my bid THEN ended the auction as it doesn't show ob my winning items nor am I on the bid history.

So anything I can do besides say oh well?

eBay are really taking the ****: ive sold a brand new iPhone 4s for £300, was gutted but not much to do... Sent the item, delivered, signed for... Guy complained he didn't receive it. Checked, it hadn't been signed in his name. He claimed delivered to wrong address. My paypal paid him the £300 back, I couldn't say anything & I couldn't claim off the postal service as it IS DELIVERED. Ebays a big gamble sometimes.
If it was signed for then the responsibility lies with the postal service! Thats what your insurance is for with signed for services! I assume you upped the minimum insurance to cover that? They should only allow the addressee to sign for it. You should make a claim!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Is it really as easy as this? You buy something, deliberately sign a different name as you are stood in your own doorway, blame the postie and then get your money back? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me I tried to claim lost, but it WAS delivered so it wasn't classed as a lost item. I could clearly see it had been signed on the royal mail website, signed by "Steven H" but delivery was for someone by another name. They ensured me it had been delivered. So basically some **** got a free iPhone. eBay is too full of flaws. And I WANT MY 99p INTERCOOLER DAMN IT lol

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Trust me I tried to claim lost, but it WAS delivered so it wasn't classed as a lost item. I could clearly see it had been signed on the royal mail website, signed by "Steven H" but delivery was for someone by another name. They ensured me it had been delivered. So basically some **** got a free iPhone. eBay is too full of flaws. And I WANT MY 99p INTERCOOLER DAMN IT lol
Report the IMEI number as stolen and it will be permanently blocked. You don't get your money back but at least the bloke only gets a nice paperweight and not a functioning iPhone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol @ sabotage idea! the seller is a poweseller. He sells hundreds of items a day. Not sure if I'm allow to give names so I won't. He has tons of car parts and car accessories for sale.... I may be busy

As for the phone imei locking thing, the phone was brand new boxed. Was my upgrade which I didn't want. Didn't register it or anything, didn't even keep the details :( lesson learnt!

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
You could still ring your operator to get that phone locked. They will have the IMEI on record. As they sent it to you, it is most likely already registered to you, so you should be able to get it blocked. Don't let whoever has this phone (whether it's the buyer or not) get away with it..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point. I'll give t-mob a call tomorrow.

Also- managed to email eBay in regards to the topic, hoping to hear something good. I know I won't get the part but he should be warned or something.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:
Got a useless email:

Hello,

Thanks for your email about the*intercooler kit*(item 220929149384)* you were bidding on. I understand you're disappointed that the seller '2fast2cool2' canceled your bid and ended the listing early.

Just as a buyer can choose which items to bid on, sellers can choose to accept or cancel bids.

There are many reasons why sellers might cancel a bid or end a listing early. In some cases, they no longer have the item they were selling. Also, some sellers prefer to complete transactions only with members they feel comfortable with, such as those who have positive Feedback scores.

You can contact the seller to ask why your bid was canceled by clicking the "Ask a question" link on the listing page. However, sellers aren't required to share this information with you.

I trust this is helpful and wish you all the best with buying on eBay in the future.

Kind regards,

Chloe Nelson
eBay Trust & Safety

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Sounds like he was worried that it would sell for 99p, then cancelled the Auction.

I am pretty sure you can't do this unless there is more than 12 hours to go.

Not a lot you can do about it I am afraid. If the auction had finished and he refused to sell, you can report him for seller non-performance and then leave bad feedback.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts