Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so hoping someone can help.

I passed my driving test in 1998 and this was when the credit card shaped Driving Licence was already in use. Thus, I got issued with a "B" licence as suppose to an "EB" licence. An EB licence you would automatically get if you had a Code 8 licence before.

Now, for me to tow a trailer, caravan or a boat with a GVM of more than 750kg I will have to go redo my driving licence test with a trailer of more than 750kg. If you tow something more than 750kg without this magical "E" prefix your insurance might not pay out should be involved in an accident.

Who does training or advise on this and has anybody done this?
(I see a gap in the market here)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have the same license..

Not that it bothers me as I will NEVER tow a caravan or trailer of any sorts in my life time.

And even worse still, if you towing something you have to have a tow bar on your Alfa... Nee man Jannie.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cheese:
Perreby, it's on my wife's car that we use for holidays. Boat and Caravan. Kids loves it!
Will also never, ever, put a towbar on a GTA.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My GQV has a towbar...but it's to tow the 1750GTV around so that's excusable right...? :D

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I did my License in 1998 - Code 8 - my current license says EB - hope not they change it to B only... I need it to tow the race car to Phakisa

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
I also have a towbar on the GQV, for my bike rack and Vlenter trailer.....

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I also have a towbar on the GQV, for my bike rack and Vlenter trailer.....
Thats the problem..

You should not be putting your bike on a rack..

You should be riding it, not be taking it for a ride :cheese:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Ok so anybody know how to get this EB licence?
I think you're snookered mate. I'm in the same boat.

My old man got a code 12 in the days when that was the biggest category. When he got his card license they upgraded him to EC which is basically a code 14...and he has never driven one!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Ok so anybody know how to get this EB licence?
Numen, I did my license in the very early 90's and when the first card type licenses were issued, I received a "Code B". With my next license renewal, I told them I have been towing my caravan and trailer for years. That should be Cod EB. They changed it without even batting an eyelid. Try that.

Also, I am as blind as a bat if I don't wear my spectacles due to extremely light sensitive eyes. My license always used to say "Limitations: With Glasses" It now says "Limitations: None" I can't even wear contact lenses because I need something like Transitions to tint, so I wonder how that misteriously changed?...:confused:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Numen, I did my license in the very early 90's and when the first card type licenses were issued, I received a "Code B". With my next license renewal, I told them I have been towing my caravan and trailer for years. That should be Cod EB. They changed it without even batting an eyelid. Try that.
Ian, this only applies to YOU, I mean, who would argue with you? :cheese:

But on a more serious note I actually asked a cop when I was at the GS HQ and they said you need to redo you test with a trailer to get it :confused: makes sense, but I was like, "no thanks, I'll just keep towing as a I do", he laughed and just said "you do that"

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't mind the fines either. More worried about the insurance issues that goes with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts