Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, heres one for the techy heads out there,...

whilst waiting for my sud to come back from the body shop i have been getting the engine and gearbox ready,

i did some quick easy mods to the gear box which really improves the feel of the sud gear shift...

fit a 33 rear tail section / the bit the gear lever goes onto..

cut the horrible rubber joint of the bottom of the 33 gear stick, replace with rose joint and rose joint cup off ebay for 11 quid :)

cut the 33 selector rod and weld it to the cut down sud rod,
you get 5 cm less travel on the gear stick goint from 3 to 4th and you loose all that rubber feel to the gear change .. prob due to the big rubber joint at the base,,..

the rose joint gives a nice mechanical feel to it all and as its a suspension grade joint will pretty much last for ever!

pis show the joint just tack welded during the build up and testing, ita all apart again now for welding and painting.

the other thing i did was to replace the sud pressed tin sump with a cast alloy finned version from a 145 146 boxer, the finns will help with cooling the gearoil and i think the cast housing may even add some strength to the sud box casing :)

K

·
0 Posts
that's a great little modification, bet it improves the gear feel no end :cool:
and the sump should help torsional stiffness and improve cooling,
top job:thumbs:

·
Registered
741 Posts
hello, heres one for the techy heads out there,...

whilst waiting for my sud to come back from the body shop i have been getting the engine and gearbox ready,

i did some quick easy mods to the gear box which really improves the feel of the sud gear shift...

fit a 33 rear tail section / the bit the gear lever goes onto..

cut the horrible rubber joint of the bottom of the 33 gear stick, replace with rose joint and rose joint cup off ebay for 11 quid :)

cut the 33 selector rod and weld it to the cut down sud rod,
you get 5 cm less travel on the gear stick goint from 3 to 4th and you loose all that rubber feel to the gear change .. prob due to the big rubber joint at the base,,..

the rose joint gives a nice mechanical feel to it all and as its a suspension grade joint will pretty much last for ever!

pis show the joint just tack welded during the build up and testing, ita all apart again now for welding and painting.

the other thing i did was to replace the sud pressed tin sump with a cast alloy finned version from a 145 146 boxer, the finns will help with cooling the gearoil and i think the cast housing may even add some strength to the sud box casing :)
Great!:thumbs:

Have you ever thought of selling them made up as a mod?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello big al,

good question mate,
the gear shift self centres a treat because of the detent springs inside the gear box,
when you move the stic side to side you can feel the springs inside, coming from say 2nd to 3rd you just guide the stick forwards and the springs do the work for you
i think if anything the rubber joint took some of that mechanical feeling away from you,.,,

when i get the sud on the road im no doubt going to go to a few alfa shows, feel free to play with my lever :O)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/McGill-Motorsports_Spherical-Bearings-and-Housing_W0QQ_fsubZ5570179QQ_sidZ222097034QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322#item5880c0d403

try this link mate, its the ebay shop i use for these kind of parts,
i used the com 8 bearing as i already had the holder for it, its way over spec for that job but will last for ever..
if you go with com 8 you will need a half inch bolt to go thru the joint and you will need to drill the hole in the bracket holding the gearlever out to 13 mm,.. of course if you get a joint with an 8 mm hole the standard bolt will do the job. dont forget to also get the alignment washers that allow the joint to go its full travel,

·
Registered
443 Posts
rose joints are the way forward. anthing that can save me from the vauge feeling of the 33 box is a god send. thanks for the idea and i'm glad it worked for you. i would never of thougt of replacing the whole joint untill now.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
In one of my previous 33's i replaced the rubber bush with a new one. I just ended up in going from 1st to 4th quite a lot of the time. Your idea sounds great and i would like to play with you stick before i do it with a rose joint that will fit straigh in and with no mods lol.
How come you didnt go for one with a straight fit?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi big al,

i just went for that size joint as i already had the holder which i had already welded to the bottom of the stick !

the thin section that holds the rubber bush is not really made to hold a rose joint, as the joint need a shoulder to push onto and a circlip to hold it in,.. so either way you will need some welding somewhere :O(

alfanutter hit the nail on the head regarding rose joints .. you can always get them.!!!

when i was an alfa mechanic it was hard enought to get parts,.. now 10 years on its really hard,.. so the thinking with my sud is to replace as many of these types of parts with " engineering" standard stuff, i.e rose joints for bushings ect ect...

im not sure why yours was going 1st to 4th after the new rubber, if anything then the new ruber was really pulling the stick upright and you would have to fight it across for 2nd,???

anyways when its on the road feel free to have a go on the gear stick, its not as nice as a proper RWD gearbox with the stick firmly attached, but a great improvement on the knackered out sud arrangement that i had :O)

ps alfa nutter ,... ?? is that you that i got a cross member and some wing guards off a while ago ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
On the same subject, I have had similar results by changing the gearbox to extension mountings from rubber bushes to solid.
Remove the mountings from the gearbox. Push out the steel bush out of the rubber, (throw the rubber bits away) and fabricate some bits of steel to weld into the ends of the horseshoe shaped brackets. Drill suitable sized holes and weld the original steel bushes into place.
This stops the gearbox extension moving when you change gear, reducing gearlever travel and making it more precise.
I have also shortened the gearlever itself by about 75mm which reduces travel (but increases the effort required)
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
kammatic
Thanks for the explanation.
You are correct, 1st to 4th was due to new rubber and it trying to force the gear stick back to the center and me having to fight it to go into 2nd.

markp2
more info and pics please

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
This is all very intresting but I am a bit consirned about a few things.

1st - Ratling noise from the rose joint directly on metal - I already have ratling noise and I have the standard stick with bushes.

2nd - If I'm not mistaken , the way you have shortened the travel between 3rd and 4rth gear, will also increase the travel from 1st to R ?

3rd - For easier travel isnt it better to make the gear stick heavier ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mark funny you should say that about the solid mounts for the tail shaft .. i was thinking along the same lines!! he he he....

rose joints rattle when they are worn and have play,.. even if i get a touch of noise thru it, well its a track day / fast road toy ..,, im not after refinement and quiet.. have an audi a4 for that :OP

the gear lever travel is shorter in forward and rear throws, across the gates to its the same throw..

crikey all this intrest im my gear lever , you wait till i post my home made coilover struts !!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have some pics of my tailpiece mounting mod but putting them on here is proving a bit advanced for an old dinosaur like me!
How do you do it (in very simple language please!)
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hello mark,
the way i do it ( not sure if best way) is to post the reply but click the " go advanced" button, .. so you click go advanced, out the text in the white box as normal then look underneath and you will see "manage attachments" button, click that and then a prompt box comes up where you navigate your pc to find your piccies, i just dump mine to desktop to make it easy to find!, upload and submit

hey presto .. piccies on the threa

1 - 20 of 90 Posts