Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gear knob was all scratched, and the leather was getting worn. The one's on alfisti.net are lovely but expensive, so I thought I'd have a go at making mine a bit smarter.

I masked round the gearstick, and used fine emery paper to sand off the paint. The cap is actually metal so with a bit of elbow grease it comes up really nice. I then rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool (Pic 2), and then used some metal polish to shine it up (Pic 3).

For the leather, I gently sanded it with real fine wet n' dry, and then painted it with some black fabric dye. It doesn't look brand new, but it's better than it was. (Pics 4 and 5)

I was feeling creative so then I blobbed a load of red Fiat touch-up paint over the numbers, let it dry overnight, and rubbed it down again. (Pic 6) What do you think? Sorry for the crappy pic, I was holding the cloth up so you could see the red clearly without reflections.

Anyway it's not perfect, but it's better than it was. I might have another go at the leather once it's dried properly.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts