Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

recently I had an issue with my starte motor - turns out to be an earthing issue.

I connected an extra large earth cable from the L connector on the starter motor to the bodywork. Starts perfectly with that attached.

Take it off and no power.

Also noticed my gauges like the engine temp needle is out of wack. Maybe because of the bad earth somewhere from the engine block?

Where do I begin?

:confused:

K

·
0 Posts
Did i not mention checking earths? :lol:
:lol:

just get a new cable brit and make sure it has clean paint free contacts with the battery/chassis/starter bracket.

the gauges are earthed through the loom from memory :rolleyes: or isn't there an earth lead that fits onto the light switch mounting screws so it takes an earth through the steering column.
no harm at all in making up several new leads and making sure everything is earthed well :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just get a new cable brit and make sure it has clean paint free contacts with the battery/chassis/starter bracket.
Sorry which cable are you referring to? Multidtude of cables there.:rolleyes:

I did remove the starter motor and sand all the surfaces clean.

the gauges are earthed through the loom from memory or isn't there an earth lead that fits onto the light switch mounting screws so it takes an earth through the steering column.
the loom is the circular bunch of contacts on the inside part next to the fuse box?
All a bit confusing.

Also the 3/4 black wires that are connected to the L connector on the motor are earth cables for what?

cheers

K

·
0 Posts
just get something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Battery-Cable-Earthing-Braid-Classic-Car-BL-Etc-/170762702630?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c2400f26

and connect it to the starter earth mount and the battery negative.
not sure on the 33 but the suds and sprints have a bolt near the battery that earths the body, put a new one there too.

the old cables can corrode inside themselves and become poor conducters, especially if they are the multi-strand almost fibrous type.

take the steering column top shroud off and see if there is one black earth wire attached to the column switch mounting screws like on the sud. if so you could remove that and connect direct to the body to create a good earth return.

pretty much ALL of the wiring issues on alfas are down to poor earths.
that's why i took the time to redo my whole loom, replaced every terminal with crimped & soldered fittings. everything worked then from the off :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
and connect it to the starter earth mount and the battery negative.
not sure on the 33 but the suds and sprints have a bolt near the battery that earths the body, put a new one there too.
thks Kev. I actually just made one like this with the large round connectors and a multi strand 3mm cable. I connected this from the starter motor to the body.
I will connect it directly to the neg terminal of the battery then.

The bolt that connects the neg to the body is new. We don't really get corrosion like in the UK.

take the steering column top shroud off and see if there is one black earth wire attached to the column switch mounting screws like on the sud. if so you could remove that and connect direct to the body to create a good earth return.
This might be causing the wacky gauge readings.
Hope so. I'll whip off the casing and have a nooky around.

the old cables can corrode inside themselves and become poor conducters, especially if they are the multi-strand almost fibrous type.
yep it has one. I'll check it out and try to get a replacement.

cheers

i know something is off on the cluster because the fans are kicking in and switching off as before with the same sender but the cluster gauge is reading a much higher temperature.
New thermostat is fully open at 86 but the cluster readys higher.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I had a similar problem with my first Sprint, stranded in London. AA came along (I'd only joined earlier that morning!). The car was running fine, but I stalled and it wouldn't restart and I eventually flattended the battery. It started fine with the AA booster, but wouldn't charge when he took the booster off. It turned out to be one of the earth straps from the bolt by the battery to the engine.

It looked absolutly fine, but had almost infinite resistance. AA guy wanted to take it back to the depot to show the other guys as he couldn't believe it to look at it. 5 minute trip down the road to Charlie Browns for a new strap and all was sorted.

One of my Sprints (the one that runs) always needs a jump lead from battery to starter to get it going. It ain't going anywhere so I've not got around to sorting it.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my Sprints (the one that runs) always needs a jump lead from battery to starter to get it going. It ain't going anywhere so I've not got around to sorting it.
sounds like the same issue as mine. Just stick a 3mm cord from the earth connector on the bolt of the starte motor to the body or terminal of the battery.
If I remove that cable I get nothing.
Before the rebuild it worked fine!!!!!
Something is a miss.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Take each earth lead off in turn and measure the resistance across it. You will soon find the offending lead, and if all is OK then it must just need the connections cleaning.

My Sprint isn't going anywhere and only gets started occasionaly to stop the engine seizing up - and it makes me feel all warm inside!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone modified the 'loom' to improve the earthing there?

Maybe replace the connecters with the clamped round type and bolt them on 2 or 3 different locations on the bodywork to distribute the earthing a little.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1 end inside the car and one from the loom you mean?

Needle in a haystack:lol: considering they are all black

or measuring from the earth on each relay to the loom. still you're guessing there as they are all tied up so tightly in my case.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
No, I'm talking about the main earth leads from battery to chassis and from chassis to engine.

Disconnect them completely i.e. take them off the car, and test them. As KevJTD also said, they can look fine but be ****** poor conductors.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah now that makes sense.

Chassis to engine I have a doubt. The earth wires that connect to the starter motor are the only ones that attach to the engine right?

Now where do they lead to? Where are the other ends?:rolleyes:

Battery to chassis will be checked and replaced if looks bad. That's the easy one.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Typically the 33 starter motor is earthed from the L shaped bracket on top of the bell housing adjacent the starter to the same body connection the battery negative lead is connected. In fact in some cars it's one long lead with a third connector half way for bolting to the body. These leads are a bit light and can cause problems. New ones from heavier gauge cable can help a lot.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This L shaped bracket has 3 earth cables leading to it. I had to attach the extra 4th to the body to get the motor running. The other 3?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok now I feel stupid. well you learn from your mistakes.

I had missed one earth cable!!!! As I was changing the gearbox oil I found the earth cable hanging!! Guess what this was for????

duhhh. well its my first rebuild guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts