Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 156JTS Full history etc recent 72,000 service including belts and all associated bits.

Recently I killed my battery due to a faulty fuel injection relay. The car would start fine with a jump start and I recharged the battery several times but it wouldn't hold its charge. I put a new battery on it today (Exide Premium 64ah) and it struggled to start again. Eventually it turned over and it drove perfectly, with the exception of flickering headlights. Got home, switched it off, had my dinner and went back out to the car and nothing! Doesn't try to crank/turn over. All the usual dash lights come on and go out as they should (my first thought was the immobiliser but the light goes out).

I've checked that all the battery connections are secure, also checked fuses etc. My next thought is the battery earth but not yet had a chance to check it.

What do you guys think? Could the flickering headlights be a symptom of a dodgy earth somewhere too?

I seriously need to get to the bottom of this ASAP...

As always, thanks in advance...

Tom.

EDIT: forgot to mention, no warning lights or fault codes...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been back out, disconnected the battery, cleaned all the terminals and checked the fuses. Still nothing, no attempt to turn over what-so-ever.

One of the fuses on top of the battery connected to one of the live terminals seems twisted, its a 30a if that's any help, I will get a pic tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only quickly had a chance to try the jump lead idea, didn't have any tools handy. Connected a jump cable to the negative terminal and the other end to the thermostat casing, still nothing when I turned the key. Even tried the spare key, same result.
Will try again when I have my tools and more time. It's almost as if there's no power getting to the starter motor. I'm wondering if I've disturbed/damaged something when I fitted the induction kit last month, that's when I started having issues with various relays and intermittent starting...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi mate are you sure the starter motor is ok ? Just seems a lot of drain very quickly :confused:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery is still fully charged the engine just isn't turning over, almost as if there's no power getting through. All the dash lights come on and go off as they should (including immobilizer light) and if jump started from another car starts fine.
Got me a little perplexed to say the least...

G

·
0 Posts
It does sound like you have a bad starter or a bad connection to it . Can you get under it to have a look at the wires . Or get the air intake off .

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Can't today (at work) will have to try tomorrow, trouble is, where the cars parked up doesn't make it easy to work on...lol
Thing that's confused me is that it will bump start from another car so I was assuming it was earthing to the other vehicle.
I'm going to retrace everything I did and clean/check all the earths first and then the starter connections. Just seems weird to happen all of a sudden with no warning symptoms. Right when I can't afford it too...lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
If it starts with a jump start,could be the positive terminal isn't connecting properly.it has enough current to turn your ignition lights bit not enough to turn the starter,may explain the headlight issue,too.it would be worth checking the bus box(the bit with the fuses and wires bolted/connected to the positive terminal),again,as well
When I picked my car up,after it had been standing for a good while,the positive terminal had closed up,and wouldn't tighten enough to make a proper contact and the cables bolted to it needed cleaning to.
Hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it starts with a jump start,could be the positive terminal isn't connecting properly.it has enough current to turn your ignition lights bit not enough to turn the starter,may explain the headlight issue,too.it would be worth checking the bus box(the bit with the fuses and wires bolted/connected to the positive terminal),again,as well
When I picked my car up,after it had been standing for a good while,the positive terminal had closed up,and wouldn't tighten enough to make a proper contact and the cables bolted to it needed cleaning to.
Hope you find the problem.
Definitely worth checking. One of the fuse wires on the bus box looks a little twisted too, so I'll replace that just in case it has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When you jump start the car where are you connecting the + lead?
To the bolt that holds the thick red wire in place (the far right of the pic below), its the only spot where I can get a good connection with the leads.
Just been out for a quick tinker between rain showers and noticed this...

View attachment 188377

Wondering if the state of that fuse wire could be part of the issue...

·
Registered
137 Posts
There was a fault with the crimpimg of the terminal to that thick red wire when I first bought my car - wiggled wire and it would start
Can you hear either the starter relay or solenoid clicking when you try to start?
Another quick check (making sure car is out of gear!!) try putting a lead from battery positive terminal to the terminal on the starter solenoid were the thin wire goes (the exciter wire from ignition switch) with - if it turns over then theres a fault between ignition switch and there - if it does not turn, providing there live at the main battery terminal to starter then most likely starter is duff!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a fault with the crimpimg of the terminal to that thick red wire when I first bought my car - wiggled wire and it would start
Can you hear either the starter relay or solenoid clicking when you try to start?
Another quick check (making sure car is out of gear!!) try putting a lead from battery positive terminal to the terminal on the starter solenoid were the thin wire goes (the exciter wire from ignition switch) with - if it turns over then theres a fault between ignition switch and there - if it does not turn, providing there live at the main battery terminal to starter then most likely starter is duff!
I can definitely hear clicks when the key is turned and also a high pitched sound. Car is in neutral too.
How big a job is fitting a new starter motor?
The thing that's really bugging me is that everything was fine up until the battery died.

G

·
0 Posts
You can get at it from the top if you take the plenum off but if its anything like the standard Twinkie that's as awkward as the starter if not more so you can get at some of it from underneath but you need to get at the top really to get at the cables . Just time more than anything. ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Its a wiring/connection issue i'd of said, tonight take the battery off and charge it whilst its off take the relay's and make sure the terminals are good also inspect the red battery cables and order a new fuse for that one that is damaged (ebay they are called midi fuses).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a wiring/connection issue i'd of said, tonight take the battery off and charge it whilst its off take the relay's and make sure the terminals are good also inspect the red battery cables and order a new fuse for that one that is damaged (ebay they are called midi fuses).
I'm tending to agree with you with it being a wiring issue, it has to be something to do with me disturbing something taking the old battery off.
Or, the new battery could be faulty I guess.

Thanks for the heads up on the name of those fuses, that was going to be my next question...:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts