Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Panda 4x4 TwinAir
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Great news if true

if you can’t read the article because of a paywall, its proposed that land set aside to produce biofuels be given over to grain crops in light of the Ukraine war.

Could this also see pump prices come down? From the beginning we were told that it costs more to produce, but by how much? - the move to E10 handily coincided with the ‘shortages’ in October which saw the average cost of a litre jump by 10 or more pence, a jump which never came back down once the queues at the pumps subsided.

Given that tests have shown some cars could experience <11% reduction in fuel economy, rather than the 1% proposed by the government, boosting co2 output higher, its unsuitability for use in older cars and lawnmowers and the like, meaning E5 still has to be made available, and the fact it’s increased ethanol content means it cant be stored as long as E5, surely continuing with E10 has to be a non starter?

Reactions: SarGara

·
Registered
8,330 Posts

·
Registered
Panda 4x4 TwinAir
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, thought it was too good to be true, ‘Ive stayed away from the brexit thread as the whole thing’s a shitshow.

Reactions: armoore

·
Registered
186 Posts
if you can’t read the article because of a paywall, its proposed that land set aside to produce biofuels be given over to grain crops in light of the Ukraine war.
Good if true. I don't agree with repurposing land/crops away from food to bio-fuel/solar as its just creating another shortage further down the line.

·
Registered
Panda 4x4 TwinAir
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was late, I saw it and posted it, didnt give it the scrutiny it deserved, still would be nice!

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
9,554 Posts
They have managed to use is with no major issues for years in other countries....and in the USA you can get grades up to E85 for certain cars. Sounds a bit unlikely to me.

·
Vendor
47,982 Posts
They have managed to use is with no major issues for years in other countries....and in the USA you can get grades up to E85 for certain cars. Sounds a bit unlikely to me.
Isn't that 85 RON fuel, not E85? A measure of the octane, rather than ethanol content..

·
Vendor
47,982 Posts
Ah right they actually have Flex-fuel cars that are made to run on upto 85% ethanol. I guess they do have a lot of land in the US, so why not farm it for fuel if they have no need to farm it for food.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Yes E85...not 85RON. There are lots of flexfuel kits for other cars too. On the US Merc forum I'm on a lot of highly tuned racetrack toys are set up for E85 (often with switchable maps to use regular fuel as well)....The 105 ish octane rating of E85 mean you can use high compressions and LOTS more boost without detonation. The main things in the kits are bigger injectors...E85 has rather less energy than pure petrol so you need about 25 to 30% more of it.....above the flow capacity of most stock injectors.

C63 6.2 V8 on E85....love the blue ethanol flames on overun!!

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Nothing....depending on the car you have....some should not be run on it though as their rubber parts and seals are not ethanol proof.

·
Registered
39,697 Posts
E5 & E10 are petrol + ~5% or ~10% ethanol.

All modern cars from the last 5 years will run it.

DERV has an equivalent "B" rating. For how much cooking oil is in it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts