Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have heard mention a few times that no 147/156/GT is suitable for E10 petrol but from all my reading, I can't actually figure out why. Supposedly it holds moisture which rots out metal fuel tanks/lines and it can degrade rubber but to my knowledge the 147/156/GT does not use this.

Specifically what makes E10 unsuitable for our cars and what can i do to futureproof my fuel system?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
E5 will continue to be available, so not a panic.
Super Unleaded is set to remain as E5 after 95RON eventually goes to E10.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Presumably there's going to be a nice little industry spring up to remap these cars...

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Presumably there's going to be a nice little industry spring up to remap these cars...

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
From what i understand it isnt a mapping issue, the RON number stays the same after all. AFAIK it is a case of some rubber/hoses being eaten away potentially causing fuel leaks and the ethanol attracting water causing corrosion in places you dont want it.

I dont know what would be needed to convert a TS/JTS to E10 compatibility, but my GT has run V-power only since my country switched to E10, V-power over here has no ethanol in it, and id rather pay a few euros more and not risk engine damage. Another benefit is that the JTS seems to run a bit smoother on V-power as well. The whole E10 thing is also the reason why i wont consider buying anything new from this generation of alfa, with a possible exception for something busso powered, but that is more "toy, now or never" then anything near normal transport.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
FYI. Not just rubber, also plastics and quite a few metals.

Half way through the article before it says (in one brief sentence) that it is only 95RON changing to E10 and you'll still be able to get E5 Super Unleaded (many will have stopped reading before then and be left in a panic...).

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I filled up one of my other cars (27 years old) with E10 once and it ran ok.
Interestingly the Shell V Power 100 in Germany states something like a maximum of 0.5% ethanol on the pump handle. I've heard mixed things about E10 but personally I prefer Super (plus in EU) for JTS or alternating fills with E5 for the old car.

Lastly, since fitting a new stainless steel exhaust to the old car and using V Power for 600 miles over 3 weeks, there is no noticeable darkening inside the exhaust tip and even wiping it with a tissue barely darkens the tissue. That's a car with over 200k miles on the clock so I figure the V Power must be exceptional for cleanliness and efficiency. Maybe the ethanol E10 is also good but I'll let others find out if it is suitable or not.

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
Keep using Super Unleaded and you’ll be fine.

Motoring media will I’m sure make big headlines about the issues of E10, while hardly mentioning that you’ll still be able to get E5.... and E5 will probably be available for as long as you’ll be able to get Petrol...!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The E10 fuel is the main petrol fuel here in France and other EU countries for several years now and 147/156/GT here are fully compatible from stock. I don't see why british ones would be different.
A good portion of V6 users are even running E85 either from stock or after remap for years without problems. Well, without problems coming from petrol, at least. ;)

So I'd say no worry…

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All,

I am not overly worried, I just have the fuel tank out at the moment so now is the oppertune moment to make any needed modifications if i needed to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts