1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I was just about to post this myself.

Here is the compatibility list

PistonHeads Headlines - Biofuel compatibility

Alfa Romeo:
E10 petrol is cleared for use in the following Alfa Romeo models with petrol engines:

MiTo
159: 1.8 16V, 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
Brera: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
Spider: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
8C: 4.7 32V

This should be made a sticky

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
It's been discussed in the 164/166 lounge.

Bad news generally.......but my Merc is o.k. :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Pistonheads said:
Alfa Romeo:
E10 petrol is cleared for use in the following Alfa Romeo models with petrol engines:

MiTo
159: 1.8 16V, 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
Brera: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
Spider: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
8C: 4.7 32V

So Alfas newest model with their latest range of petrol engines isn't compatible? :confused:

Who compiled this list? Seems to rule out an awful lot of cars currently running around... :confused:

starting to wonder if it's all big load of scaremongering......:confused:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
So the 3.2JTS is okay but the 2.2 JTS isn't? That makes no sense, they were developed and released at more or less the same time. Methinks the list is far from complete.
It's not really related to age or development it's all about the components and fitting used in the whole fuel system from tank, to fuel lines to injectors and rails.

There could be components that are not used on the V6 but are on the 2.2 that will corrode with high ethanol fuels.

The same goes for all other model ranges.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hmm interesting. I suppose I won't be able to avoid this issue simply by continuing to buy Vpower, as imagine the rule will apply to all fuel types.

Perhaps I should stock pile existing fuel. Or is this all a cunning plan to make us buy more fuel, considering fuel use in the UK is down 15%?

K

·
0 Posts
The fuel consumption thing seems to be a bit of a non-issue. All sorts of studies suggest a negligible difference if any.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
So the 3.2JTS is okay but the 2.2 JTS isn't? That makes no sense, they were developed and released at more or less the same time.
That's correct. I remember thinking about driving my Brera to France, but on reading an article by the AA, they said the 2.2 engine wouldn't perform well with French unleaded because of the ethanol content.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The document referenced in a previous post is official, and it's Service News 00.02.11. They forgot to quote the part about the Giulietta, though.

The complete list of E10 compatible Alfa vehicles:

MiTo: all petrol engines
Giulietta: all petrol engines
159/Sportwagon: 1.8 16V, 1750 TBi, 3.2 V6 JTS
Brera/Spider: 1750 TBi, 3.2 V6 JTS
8C Competizione/Spider: 4.7 V8 32V

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hmm interesting. I suppose I won't be able to avoid this issue simply by continuing to buy Vpower, as imagine the rule will apply to all fuel types.
Ethanol is a very good octane booster. Might be that higher octane fuels will be the ones where it would be most wanted

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
the document referenced in a previous post is official, and it's service news 00.02.11. They forgot to quote the part about the giulietta, though.

The complete list of e10 compatible alfa vehicles:

Mito: All petrol engines
giulietta: All petrol engines
159/sportwagon: 1.8 16v, 1750 tbi, 3.2 v6 jts
brera/spider: 1750 tbi, 3.2 v6 jts
8c competizione/spider: 4.7 v8 32v
tfft!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well crud. Both my Alfa 164 and my Fiat 124 (1977 model) are off the approved list. Over here we have the 90% petrol and also as low as 85% petrol ratio available. Some 100% petrol is available but you have took for it. Hope my Alfa and Fiat are ok.

Cheers everyone,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
640 Posts
Both the 164 and the 124 likely haven't even been tested. You could look at the possibility of changing fuel lines/o-rings/ancillaries with E10-compatible ones.

·
Registered
698 Posts
This is one worrying thread which, if accurate which I'm sure it is, leaves me questionning, do I accept the fact that I will have to search out PFSs which still sell 5% bio fuel petrol or do I just get rid of my beloved Brera whilst I can? :confused:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts