Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good grief,
Called a second hand car dealer in Bolton who has a 01 156 1.8SW for £1,595. He was happy to do a px for my 01 2.0ts as I need a Sportwagon to carry my dog. Nice I thought, it sounded good, new engine/belts in 08, full mot, immaculate interior, all standard and very clean body, and will be serviced, runs perfect etc.....Hmmmmmmm

So, with my very clean car plus £300, I headed over from Yorkshire (96 miles).....

Firstly, got to location, all seems okay, the car was in their MOT bay following a test, it failed on rear brake pads, they were being done so no issues.
Straight away, the car had a damaged front wing, no mention, broken front fogs, no cd player as per pics (been taken out by someone!), Veloce skirts hanging off, interior okay,def not mint, but the best was to come.......

:wow:The claimed 'New' engine was not new, it was a rebuild due to cambelt fail! (They said it was replaced due to a garage not filling oil during service), it was done in 07, not 08 as stated and I could not verfiy the work as the number on the invoice was fake!
To top it all off, the car had not been serviced as agreed (the air filter lid was half off and proper grubby) and the milage was 131k, not 120k in the ad. But imagine my face when inside of the oil cap was lovely and creamy, possible headgasket, and high running temperature!!!!!

Mechanic was reluctant to comment, to be fair he was busy replacing the battery with one half the size as it was 'all they have', muppets.

When I asked them about the above, the trader was not at all arsed, absolute cowboys.
Its on ebay now, item number 360188682132. The trader's name is 'Cam Cars' in Bolton.

Normally this would not bother me as most traders are on the make, but if someone bought this without knowing bout Alfa's or cars in general, they better get in the RAC. Makes me mad!!!!!
AVOID THIS TRADER IF THIS CAR IS ANYTHING TO GO BY.:cry:
Sharp exit made, 200miles round trip, but lesson learned, I'l buy my SW from an enthusiast for sure!

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on these cowboys, srad34. :thumbs:

Pity you had a wasted 200 mile round trip to find out, though. :(

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
its in Westhoughton, nuff said;)

D

·
0 Posts
Sound's horrendous! :eek: Good job you avoided it mate, :thumbs:

Wscwunda... That name rings a bell... Oh yes, your'e the one who stole my GTV V6! :cry:

:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly, could not leave any feedback as the ad was a classified and the advert had very little info, ebay would not be interested.
Lucky escape, thats for sure. Just hope that someone else who checks it out is clued up!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
Sorry to hear of your wasted trip over the Pennines, at least all you lost was a few hours and a bit of petrol !

See that your Status is " At home on my Sofa. " Well why not roll off it take a look in the Lincs Lounge and at our Meets and come along to tell us more. :thumbs:

Links are below so you can conserve energy......................................:p

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/lincolnshire/

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/lincolnshire/189256-lincs-evening-meet-three-kings-and-us-wise-men.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/lincolnshire/190985-lincs-afternoon-and-evening-meet-bls-and-star-and-garter.html

M

·
0 Posts
I'd still talk to trading standards. If they are MoT testers, VOSA might be interested in generally dodgy practices too.

K

·
0 Posts
The disease of misdescription of complete snotters is still alive in the car trade. I went out with a mate looking at cars in the summer and the number that were mis-described as clean and tidy when they were anything but is quite remarkable.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
Me and my dad went to look at a Renaultsport Clio a few months back that was described as in excellent condition.

It was a total shed as well. It was described as having 40,000 miles but I have seen less wear and tear on 100,000 mile cars.

Unfortunately some people get taken in, and buy cars like this. :(

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Yep - I went to see a car at a "dealers" a couple of years back that had 20,000 miles on the clock and it was clearly a 100,000+ miles motor. When I told the guy that it was no way a 20k mile car he just shrugged.....

I think these guys just accept that knowledgeable buyers will spot the rip off, they are just waiting for the totally gullible to come along.

Shocking really.

D

·
0 Posts
I think 'Sellers' of a car have a different view on what makes a car 'Mint', 'Pristine' and 'Immaculate' then the buyer does, :lol:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Here's a handy cut-out-and-keep guide to dodgy dealers' language, and what it really means.

Mint = Looks good when wet
Immaculate = Photographs surprisingly well
Excellent condition = Been around the block a few times
Good condition = Ex-minicab
Fair condition = Only just scraped through its last MoT
Honest condition = Used as a farm vehicle/painter's van/chicken shed

And for the oily bits...

Doesn't smoke on start-up = Engine full to the brim with Holts Stop Smoke
Doesn't use any oil = Recently topped up with enough oil to wet the dipstick
Great fuel economy = So little power, it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding
Clutch works as it should = Adjusted to within an inch of its life
No nasty knocks or noises = All the knocks and noises are to be expected, not "nasty"
Revs sweetly = Thrashed
Great little runner = More carbon deposits than a coal mine
Always well looked after = Until the dealer got his hands on it

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Here's a handy cut-out-and-keep guide to dodgy dealers' language, and what it really means.

Mint = Looks good when wet
Immaculate = Photographs surprisingly well
Excellent condition = Been around the block a few times
Good condition = Ex-minicab
Fair condition = Only just scraped through its last MoT
Honest condition = Used as a farm vehicle/painter's van/chicken shed

And for the oily bits...

Doesn't smoke on start-up = Engine full to the brim with Holts Stop Smoke
Doesn't use any oil = Recently topped up with enough oil to wet the dipstick
Great fuel economy = So little power, it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding
Clutch works as it should = Adjusted to within an inch of its life
No nasty knocks or noises = All the knocks and noises are to be expected, not "nasty"
Revs sweetly = Thrashed
Great little runner = More carbon deposits than a coal mine
Always well looked after = Until the dealer got his hands on it
You almost come across as cynical there :lol:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts