Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it's all very clever. Yes it's very impressive that it can pick up all manner of shite off the carpet. Yet it's good that it doesn't need a bag and you can see at a glance whether it needs emptying. Yes the guarantee is very good in that you can ring up and a man comes and fixes it. Yes it's good that it all comes apart really easily. I even like the colour schemes.

However, is it strictly necesary for it to be powerful enough to ingest next door's cat when I'm trying to clean out inside the car? Dual cyclone technology is worse than frigging useless it's full of bits of mashed up moggy that you have to fish out with pliers and bits of welding wire.

A 15 minute job ending up taking 45 which meant that when it came time to break out the sponge it was ****ing down.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Crikey you must have bought the one in a hundred that actually works. Enjoy while it lasts, they are the shortest lived vac cleaners ever made in addition to being the second most outrageously priced. (Think Kirby for first place)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crikey you must have bought the one in a hundred that actually works. Enjoy while it lasts, they are the shortest lived vac cleaners ever made in addition to being the second most outrageously priced. (Think Kirby for first place)
Ours is a classic. It's a DC01 and I fully expect to be taking it to classic Dyson shows at some point in the future (after a light restoration obviously). It was my mother's and she gave it to us when our cheapo Asda one broke.

We did have a DC04 and it was a pile of shite. £200 and 3 new motors in 18 months ceased to be funny and I took great delight in chucking it on the tip.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Kirby Legend here too 1D6. built like a Pontiac Parisienne USofA tankmobile! Had ours over 20 yrs now cost about £600 or so then? Just used the carpet shampooer attachment on the carpets in this house. Three houses kept spotless with that shiny all alloy Kirby.:thumbs:

·
Registered
37,764 Posts
The main problem with Kirby is the way they try and sell them.

I know someone that worked as a Kirby salesman for a while, and some of the doubtfull facts they fabricate to try and sell them is really not on. Plus the hard sell tactics..

Not saying they are bad kit though.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must say I'm quite happy with the portable Dyson that can be used for cars etc. It also has an attachment that you can put on to vacuum your dog which is pretty nifty. :thumbs:

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
Yes it's all very clever. Yes it's very impressive that it can pick up all manner of shite off the carpet. Yet it's good that it doesn't need a bag and you can see at a glance whether it needs emptying. Yes the guarantee is very good in that you can ring up and a man comes and fixes it. Yes it's good that it all comes apart really easily. I even like the colour schemes.

However, is it strictly necesary for it to be powerful enough to ingest next door's cat when I'm trying to clean out inside the car? Dual cyclone technology is worse than frigging useless it's full of bits of mashed up moggy that you have to fish out with pliers and bits of welding wire.

A 15 minute job ending up taking 45 which meant that when it came time to break out the sponge it was ****ing down.
A fluffy toy I hope :eek:

·
Administrator
45,540 Posts
Your complaint seems to be that the tool is 'too powerful'?

I think Tim Allen would agree with me in thinking that's no belief for a man to have.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had mine ages. Works well, as it always has.
(DC05)

Good bit of design.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
All well and good, but quality aluminium alloy could well last a lifetime even when compared to any modern plastic. Anyway she still loves the Kirby and so do I, although initially we did think the price firstly quoted at double that which we finally paid was a come on, rip off, try it on!! If that's the type of thing you mean Sy? :):

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kirby Legend here too 1D6. built like a Pontiac Parisienne USofA tankmobile! Had ours over 20 yrs now cost about £600 or so then? Just used the carpet shampooer attachment on the carpets in this house. Three houses kept spotless with that shiny all alloy Kirby.:thumbs:
We have had our kirby g6 I think it is for more than 10yrs. Bullet proof and sucks harder than Monica Lewinsky at a Presidential meeting. It's made with more metal than a BMW.
We also have a dyson which is total shite. We've had a morhpy Richards one and that's pretty cool.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your complaint seems to be that the tool is 'too powerful'?

I think Tim Allen would agree with me in thinking that's no belief for a man to have.
You have to factor in that this type of equipment is primarily for the use of women Bazza. In this case it was just a cat but what if your wife was completing her domestic duties and it got away from her and ingested your favourite shirt or something?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I took a Hoover back to the shop once for being 'too powerful'. The manager got stroppy with me and refused to take it back, saying that it couldn't possibly be too powerful. I explained that on a thick, dense pile carpet, it sucked so much that the carpet lifted and stuck to the vacuum, making it impossible to vacuum the floor. Obviously the pile wasn't allowing sufficient airflow. It wasn't possible to adjust the vacuum to make it work correctly, so I was returning it as 'unfit for purpose'. He stood his ground and refused to take it back. I stood my ground and refused to leave the store. I stood next to the till glaring at him. Customers were starting to feel uncomfortable so he backed down and refunded my money. :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I explained that on a thick, dense pile carpet, it sucked so much that the carpet lifted and stuck to the vacuum, making it impossible to vacuum the floor.
Old vacs used to have the adjustable hole in the L-shaped bit
to back off the power. Even modern ones still have the "release!" trigger.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Old vacs used to have the adjustable hole in the L-shaped bit
to back off the power. Even modern ones still have the "release!" trigger.
This was a Hoover upright and the only adjustment was height. It was either too high and not cleaning at all, or too low and snatching the carpet.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sweeps as it beats, as it cleans, so the advert went iirc? for Hoover.

I've tried to sabotage the Kirby on the off chance she would get something that ran making less of a racket, but she sussed out the disconnected wire, so wax earplugs are the order of the day now when the Kirby is prowling around.:(:

Looks quite feasible the thing will well and truly outlast me! :(: :cry:

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
I have had various bagless designs from different manufacturers, including Dyson. They are all over engineered, overpriced and, compared to traditional designs, inefficient. They are also invariably see-through so you can see just how foul a creature you are dropping all of that skin (dust) everywhere.

Question - what is better--

a) Every month or so taking a bag out of a machine and replacing it with a clean one?

b) Emptying a see through container into a bin - thereby breathing in a cloud of you and yours superfluous epidermis. Rinsing out said container and trying to dry it with sheets of "Plenty" only to see grey bits trapped in the edges?

A con in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts