Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
Seems like making a car isn’t that easy after all; Apple ditching plans must have been a sign.

·
Registered
32,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was not intended to be a joke thread.
I know at least two of the 500 people in Dyson R&D who’ve just lost their jobs.

·
Registered
32,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The people I know were in jobs developing what they thought was based on research. Ultimately,Dyson will be selling some of the battery technology etc but not the car they were developing. They will join the Jaguar Land Rover people who are already searching for work following their headcount reductions. No wonder our motor industry has dropped to number 15.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
When we’re we even in the top ten, during the British Leyland era? ;)

These people aren’t going to be unemployed too long, if at all, other car companies are going to want to employ them and pick their brains.

·
Registered
32,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of them was already working out his notice prior to joining a manufacturer of “wooden sports cars” but that’s quite a large number to be looking for R&D work at the same time.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
One of them was already working out his notice prior to joining a manufacturer of “wooden sports cars” but that’s quite a large number to be looking for R&D work at the same time.
I wouldn’t have thought all 600 would be R&D, there will be support staff amongst them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It doesn’t surprise me that two very wealthy companies have abandoned their plans. I’m an accountant and work in corporate tax for big multinationals. Depending on the structure/location of the Apple & Dyson companies involved in these projects there could be very lucrative R&D tax incentives, along with potential capitalisation of some of the R&D output.
Essentially, even though the projects have ‘failed’ they could still prove to be very very lucrative for years to come, both by way of potential tax offsetting and also inflation of company value via capitalising some of the output.

I should stress, I’m a very cynical person and this is all potential, based on a number of complex criteria. I do not believe any non-car companies who embark on these projects have any intention of launching a standalone model. At most they’ll develop some technology to sell or licence.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I think if they were doing the R&D tax thing, they would not have spent so much real money. We do it all the time - stuff is “categorised as R&D” by some vague criteria and makes us more tax efficient.

I think the problem may be slightly more fundamental.

Tesla is losing money by the billion shifting cars. Yes, they cost a lot, but not as much as it costs to make them
BMW & VW are squealing that EVs are unprofitable.

You can make a rather ****, range limited EV and sell it (with a load of incentives) for about 30K. Anything vaguely approaching what a petrol can do is closer to 100K, and they simply can’t build what a diesel can do.

I suspect he’s looked at the car, which is probably very good and thought “we can’t make it for less than 150K and the market price is about 80k”. Being quite a sensible bloke, not backed by silly Silicon Valley money, he’s probably killed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts