Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did what one of the forum members did and contacted DVLA to trace my Spiders history and they eventually came back with photocopies of old registration docs, interesting stuff - mine started life in Majestic Garage in Christchurch (long gone unfortunately and no relation to the Meridian Alfa dealer in that area) - does anyone remember it?, also found the colour was changed (which I knew about) 15 years ago so its holding up well all things considered. It moved around Dorset for a bit then off to London and eventually to Bristol - many owners and a lot of work over the 40 years according to my history file ( which is growing ever thicker)
According to the "deceleration of registration" the original dealer was Motortune Ltd of Brompton Road but the selling dealer was the Bournemouth office so I'm a bit confused about who was the original dealer - looks like Motortune supplied Porches as well

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting. I remember Majestic (I'm born and raised around Bournemouth). I used to go in there as a kid and pinch brochures, then their parts guy used to be helpful when I got my first (disintegrating) Sud in the late eighties.

What justification do you need to give DVLA?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm glad the dvla search worked for you!

I too remember Majestic.
I lived in Bournemouth for many years and the road we always used to give our cars a tune up on, was the dual carriageway between Bmth and Christchurch (A338 I think, 7 miles up and 7 miles back, iirc)........nice and empty back in the 70's!

There were so many great s/h car dealers back then in Bournemouth, Boscombe, Pokesdown, even swanky old Canford Cliffs, with all sorts of great cars, like Aston DB's, Maseratis, Ford Thunderbird, Lotus, many XK's/TR's, you name it.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I remember Majestic (I'm born and raised around Bournemouth). I used to go in there as a kid and pinch brochures, then their parts guy used to be helpful when I got my first (disintegrating) Sud in the late eighties.

What justification do you need to give DVLA?
Was it a big dealer and was Alfa part of their franchise? Just tell them you are researching the history of your "historic" car - takes a couple of months tho

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad the dvla search worked for you!

I too remember Majestic.
I lived in Bournemouth for many years and the road we always used to give our cars a tune up on, was the dual carriageway between Bmth and Christchurch (A338 I think, 7 miles up and 7 miles back, iirc)........nice and empty back in the 70's!

There were so many great s/h car dealers back then in Bournemouth, Boscombe, Pokesdown, even swanky old Canford Cliffs, with all sorts of great cars, like Aston DB's, Maseratis, Ford Thunderbird, Lotus, many XK's/TR's, you name it.
Nice one - its a tad busier now but its a lovely (if slow) run from Stroud to Bmth via Bath/Shaftsbury - its great in the Spider but unfortunately my daughter always has too much stuff to bring back from Uni.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice one - its a tad busier now but its a lovely (if slow) run from Stroud to Bmth via Bath/Shaftsbury - its great in the Spider but unfortunately my daughter always has too much stuff to bring back from Uni.....
I am pleased that you too found the DVLA so helpful, for a government organisation to respond so quickly is both surprising and impressive. Don't forget that if you have a query on the documents forwarded, eg. the original dealer etc, they will undertake to resolve your query.

As for the documents required to initiate a search, I forwarded a copy of the registration document, a letter and a photo of the car although this isn't necessary.

Currently, I have another request with the DVLA and that is to change the taxation class from 'Private' to 'Historic' hopefully by 1 January 2016, we shall see if it is approved before the need to re tax and then avoid applying for a refund.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I am pleased that you too found the DVLA so helpful, for a government organisation to respond so quickly is both surprising and impressive. Don't forget that if you have a query on the documents forwarded, eg. the original dealer etc, they will undertake to resolve your query.

As for the documents required to initiate a search, I forwarded a copy of the registration document, a letter and a photo of the car although this isn't necessary.

Currently, I have another request with the DVLA and that is to change the taxation class from 'Private' to 'Historic' hopefully by 1 January 2016, we shall see if it is approved before the need to re tax and then avoid applying for a refund.
Is that something you have to apply for then? Mine falls into the rolling 40 year exemption this coming year

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I did that for the Junior I had, very interesting. The best bit was the number of colour changes it had had over the years, the one I would most like to have seen was black on top and gold on the bottom!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just sent my request off... It would be great to fill in some blanks on the history.. I know its had 10 owners from new and was originally supplied by alfa romeo london.. but no idea which garage?!

·
Registered
91 Posts
'Is that something you have to apply for then? Mine falls into the rolling 40 year exemption this coming year'

From conversations I have had with the DVLA, it would seem that the change of taxation class is not an automatic occurrence and has to be applied for.
Hope this helps Ghosty Dog

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'Is that something you have to apply for then? Mine falls into the rolling 40 year exemption this coming year'

From conversations I have had with the DVLA, it would seem that the change of taxation class is not an automatic occurrence and has to be applied for.
Hope this helps Ghosty Dog
You have to contact them but my understanding the 40 yr exemption is due on the 1st April rather than the first of the year, I taxed mine on a monthly basis last year so I wouldn't lose any more money than I have to

·
Registered
91 Posts
You have to contact them but my understanding the 40 yr exemption is due on the 1st April rather than the first of the year, I taxed mine on a monthly basis last year so I wouldn't lose any more money than I have to
Hi Joe 90GT.
You may be pleased to know that it is effective from the 1 Jan 16. I have just received a letter from the DVLA stating that you take the completed V10 and V5C to the Post Office together with an MOT Cert, fill in the word 'Historic' under Section 7 of the V5C. It is sent off by the Post Office and a new V5C will be issued in due course.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi Joe 90GT.
You may be pleased to know that it is effective from the 1 Jan 16. I have just received a letter from the DVLA stating that you take the completed V10 and V5C to the Post Office together with an MOT Cert, fill in the word 'Historic' under Section 7 of the V5C. It is sent off by the Post Office and a new V5C will be issued in due course.
That's brilliant news - I was told by DVLA on the phone that it applied from 1st April (mine was constructed in June 75) - sounds like they are confused as well - I'll ring them today! - thanks
Bummer - Just double checked with DVLA - answered the phone within 10 seconds...! - and I cant apply for exemption till 1st April because it rolls on that date every year

·
Registered
91 Posts
DVLA Search

The information as supplied to me by the DVLA was not totally correct concerning the change of taxation class from Private to Historic.

Whilst my car was registered on the 1 August 1975 and it comes into the category of Historic" I cannot apply for the change of class until the 1 April 206. Apparently if a car was registered prior to 1 April then the change can be officially approved.

I hope this helps other owners who may be considering taking this action.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts