Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speed awareness..don't lose you right to drive like me!

:cry:

I have owned a GTV TB V6 for a year now that has not been driven by myself as I only have a provisional license! I lost my license 3years ago for speeding :tut:, I know I was stupid at that time (I had a mk2 golf gti 8v, lowered, chipped etc). I got 6 points, fined 600 pounds and my license was revoked under new drivers act. I had only accelerated for about 5seconds and that was it license gone, was caught by a mobile laser gun patrol on a road I drove everyday for 2 years.

To add insult to injury my car (the gti) was taken by the council because a friendly neighbour reported my car as abandoned while I was out of the country and unable to claim it back!!

Well 3 years later (now live in another country in eu as england seemed like it wanted to ruin me) I decided to take my tests again written and practical in the UK. I had my practical 2weeks ago. Everything was going fine until i had to do a reverse park off of a busy road.

The examiner failed me because :
Whilst I was reversing a person came from a house and got into a parked car which was on the other side of the road parallel to me. There was enough space for two cars to pass between and I was'nt even in their way at all. The person just got in their car and drove off and that was it I failed because of this....serious observation fault according to the tester!

I was in tears :cry:when he told me that i had failed. That was when i realized driving/cars was so important to me. I miss the freedom of being able to drive + the convenience, the joys the grins.

So peeps please don't get caught.... cos it will be hard for you to get your license again.
Driving the DVLA way really sucks after you have been driving already, this is what makes it hard to pass the test cos all those old habits are minor faults waiting to happen, you only need to get 3 minor faults in the same section and you fail!

Well I certainly have learnt my lesson the hard way.
Maybe one day i'll get to drive my GTV.

Thankgod for this forum it always cheers me up...thanks guys

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Why don't you take the German test and get a German licence which will be valid in the E.U. anyway?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
:cry:

I have owned a GTV TB V6 for a year now that has not been driven by myself as I only have a provisional license! I lost my license 3years ago for speeding :tut:, I know I was stupid at that time (I had a mk2 golf gti 8v, lowered, chipped etc). I got 6 points, fined 600 pounds and my license was revoked under new drivers act. I had only accelerated for about 5seconds and that was it license gone, was caught by a mobile laser gun patrol on a road I drove everyday for 2 years.

To add insult to injury my car (the gti) was taken by the council because a friendly neighbour reported my car as abandoned while I was out of the country and unable to claim it back!!

Well 3 years later (now live in another country in eu as england seemed like it wanted to ruin me) I decided to take my tests again written and practical in the UK. I had my practical 2weeks ago. Everything was going fine until i had to do a reverse park off of a busy road.

The examiner failed me because :
Whilst I was reversing a person came from a house and got into a parked car which was on the other side of the road parallel to me. There was enough space for two cars to pass between and I was'nt even in their way at all. The person just got in their car and drove off and that was it I failed because of this....serious observation fault according to the tester!

I was in tears :cry:when he told me that i had failed. That was when i realized driving/cars was so important to me. I miss the freedom of being able to drive + the convenience, the joys the grins.

So peeps please don't get caught.... cos it will be hard for you to get your license again.
Driving the DVLA way really sucks after you have been driving already, this is what makes it hard to pass the test cos all those old habits are minor faults waiting to happen, you only need to get 3 minor faults in the same section and you fail!

Well I certainly have learnt my lesson the hard way.
Maybe one day i'll get to drive my GTV.

Thankgod for this forum it always cheers me up...thanks guys
Good luck getting your license back but this ought to be in the rant room where I'm sure you'll get lots of input.

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Why don't you take the German test and get a German licence which will be valid in the E.U. anyway?
If he is banned in the UK, hopefully he would still be banned in the UK if he tried to shortcut the process by getting a German licence.

D

·
0 Posts
because he is banned in the u.k it wont show up in germany but IF he passes and gets a german licence he can drive over here but only for a year but if he gets caught driving over here then he will get done as a disqualified driver. buddy you are banned for a reason and i dont want to sound harsh but its drivers like you that cause our insurance premiums up and speed cameras being installed.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I don't think he's banned. My mate got 7 points (3 for speeding and 4 for driving without due care & attention) and his license was revoked, he was able to apply for his license and test immediatly.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
If he is banned in the UK, hopefully he would still be banned in the UK if he tried to shortcut the process by getting a German licence.
I am certainly not condoning by-passing a ban. I read it that as he was taking the test, and therefore driving on the road, his ban (if it was such, see below) was over. His rant was about the UK test so I thought he might have better luck in Germany.

From the DVLA site:

Revocation of a driving licence has an immediate effect once 6 points are reached. The licence remains revoked indefinitely and will not be reinstated until an application is made. Upon application, a provisional licence will be reissued (endorsed with the points) and the driver will be subject to the terms of a provisional licence. If and when both the theory and practical driving tests are passed, a full licence will be reissued but the points will remain valid until their third anniversary.

So does not sound like a ban as such.

D

·
0 Posts
end of the day theres no point ranting about speeding and getting caught, if you are gonna speed and drive like a mcdonalds boy on a friday night then you have to pay the consequences when you get caught, his car sums it all up really.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Not heard of this act before, but it sounds like a good idea to me. I'd extend it so any banned driver has to take a new test as well.
If a new driver gets 6 points in the first 2 years of passing their test, their licence is revoked.

Been around for a while now.

D

·
0 Posts
would be interesting to see how old this person is as he now owns a gtv tb, surely his insurance premiums would be affected by his revoke?

D

·
0 Posts
if he is under 25 then i cant see anyone insuring him, unless the german ins companies are different to ours?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not banned in the uk....my license was revoked under new drivers act

Dont make value judgements on the type of person because of their car (mr limey). When I was driving I was'nt wreckless nor did I drive like a mcdonalds boy on a friday night. I kept my golf factory spec with all original stuff so I would'nt look like a bait boy in a rat box. I was never ever stopped by police until that night.

When I got caught speeding I was in fact in traffic following another car , we were all going above the limit for that road and I was just keeping up with traffic. The police just picked me out because of my car...they see a black golf and bingo.

If you were with me at the time you would have thought it was abit unfair. The road was'nt busy, no schools etc etc. I was just made an example of. When i went to court the judges just look at you and where you live and just think you're another rudeboy or something and don't give a **** when they dish out their penalties and mess up your life.

I was'nt a danger to anyone at that time I got caught as I said there were about 5 cars all doing similar speeds...and i drove this road 5 days a week for two years at a similar sppeed....they just picked me out cos of the car. I feel a bit insulted by some of your judgemental responces but your only doing what comes naturally to most people in the UK...glad I don't live there anymore.

I would do the test in eu if it was'nt so damn expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
license revokation

:rant:For your information im insured on my TB V6 and my premiums never went up. Im paying the same as I paid when I had the golf. Im 31 by the way not some spotty 17 year old.

R

·
0 Posts
Dont make value judgements

we were all going above the limit for that road

i drove this road 5 days a week for two years at a similar sppeed

I feel a bit insulted by some of your judgemental responces
What's not to judge? A serial speeder who has had his license revoked. Did you expect sympathy? My family has to share the roads with people like you.

D

·
0 Posts
if you read my post i did state that i wasnt being harsh. i do find your last post a bit confusing as you say your golf gti was factory spec, your quote in the first post - (I had a mk2 golf gti 8v, lowered, chipped etc).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
(limey) You are being a bit harsh, im not a serial speeder as that was the only time i was ever stopped by the police. I did'nt have much money at that time so i could'nt afford to belt around everywhere.
Ok so my car was lowered 30mm and chipped by previous owner but the car looked factory spec, even had original bbs wheels imported from germany.
If i had taken my license years ago then I would have had a 12 point license and none of this would have happened. I think ive suffered enough and deserve to be back on the roads, it has cost me thousands not being able to drive not to mention jobs that I could'nt apply for.
How many people drink and drive and kill people and get away with less or just a one year ban?
This is very close to my heart hense im a bit annoyed that I get this kinda responce from you.
Even the police officer was nicer to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyway guys, ive paid heavily for my serial speeding and it is my fault at the end of the day, I just hope none of you have to go through what ive been through as it has been hard. Imagine not being able to drive your car legally. I could of driven illegally but im not that type of person. Im not going to drive my car until I have passed my test again which will be sometime this year. In the meanwhile my bella is in a basement garage nice and warm slowly draining the battery!
Lets close this topic as I can't talk about it anymore. Enough said.......I just got to pass and drive sensibly in the future.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts