Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering upgrading the current headunit in my GT as it does play MP3's .... I currently don't have an Ipod so the ipod way + kit seems the most expensive way to upgrade the car stereo.

Alternatives that I am considering is the Blaupunkt Queens MP56 taht allow you to connect a usb device including hard drive :cool: or some other Blaupunkt DVD headunit. This would at least save me from installing a cd-changer.

What are your opinions ???

A

·
0 Posts
CHF said:
I have been considering upgrading the current headunit in my GT as it does play MP3's .... I currently don't have an Ipod so the ipod way + kit seems the most expensive way to upgrade the car stereo.

Alternatives that I am considering is the Blaupunkt Queens MP56 taht allow you to connect a usb device including hard drive :cool: or some other Blaupunkt DVD headunit. This would at least save me from installing a cd-changer.

What are your opinions ???
I have got the Blaupunkt Las Vegas DVD 35 for the caravan and all I can say is its awesome! I got it from Pixmania for just 170 quid. Make sure you get the accesory lead though to allow you to play DVD's to an external source.

N

·
0 Posts
Looks like that Queens unit has been
specifically designed to run/power usb
hard drives.

So you're storage can be as big as you want!

V. :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
The queens unit looks awesome - £220 with a hdd? Then you may want a steering wheel adaptor -(£50ish). My old golf gti i had a panasonic unit which had a phono input as a aux in, which was supurb, with a 3.5mm jack on the end. The usd connection looks alot better though. Good luck!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had a play today with the Blaupunkt casablanca mp56 today, this is a fantastic unit, which has a usb connector on cable so you can locate it in the glove box, it is also bluetooth ready so you can buy a reciever and use it as a handsfree kit. Also you connect steering wheel controls to it, cd changer, and a 3.5mm jack lead in the back if you want. All for 179.99, bargain i say. Full colour display as well

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just got a JVC head unit that takes an sd card in a slot behind the removable face plate( no memory stick/hard drive hanging out the front), its touch screen too so it has very few buttons. It plays MP3 and WMA CDs sounds good and cost me £170.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I right to assume that being a Blaupunkt unit you keep the steering wheel control without the need of an optional adapter ?

So the only thing left to add is a fascia adapter ?

Is this correct ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I getting tired or the Queens MP56 and Casablanca MP56 are the same units ???

A

·
0 Posts
CHF said:
Am I getting tired or the Queens MP56 and Casablanca MP56 are the same units ???
They are probably the same but named for different markets - my Las Vegas DVD 35 is also called Long Beach DVD 35.

A

·
0 Posts
CHF said:
Am I right to assume that being a Blaupunkt unit you keep the steering wheel control without the need of an optional adapter ?

So the only thing left to add is a fascia adapter ?

Is this correct ?
Yes, I think you may be right as the stock one is a Blaupunkt and I believe it just swaps over...the only thing is you will loose the info on the dash of what CD is playing and radio station etc.

A

·
0 Posts
wowbagger said:
I just got a JVC head unit that takes an sd card in a slot behind the removable face plate( no memory stick/hard drive hanging out the front), its touch screen too so it has very few buttons. It plays MP3 and WMA CDs sounds good and cost me £170.

Sounds good, but the Blaupunkts do not loose their presets and EQ etc when the battery is disconnected as the unit writes these settings to NVRAM. Does the same happen with the JVC?

·
Registered
288 Posts
alfa_147_jtd_16v said:
Sounds good, but the Blaupunkts do not loose their presets and EQ etc when the battery is disconnected as the unit writes these settings to NVRAM. Does the same happen with the JVC?
TBH I don't know, I have only just fitted it and haven't had cause to disconnect the battery. I seldom if ever disconnect the battery so it would not be a problem to me anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
CHF - As far as i am aware, you may need a steering wheel controls adaptor, even if you do opt for a BLaupunkt. The factory fitted units tend to have slightly different connections at the back compared to after market units. Strange I know, but I am just talking from experience. Im vert tempted by the Queens (so to speak!) as it looks awesome and my ipod is on its way out...

Let us know how you get on though, and good luck!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bonus is due to land at the end of Feb and alhtough I am very tempted to buy it now .... I must resist :tut: .... for the time being

·
Registered
254 Posts
From the bluespot website on the Queens MP56 page:
Casablanca MP56 - Identical head unit unit but with silver front panel colour and built in MMC/SD card reader

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've gone for the Casablanca as I don't particularly want to have to remember to take my MP3 player with me/leave it in the car all the time. SD card plus mp3 cd should give me enough tunes for most journeys.. Also liked the fact that you can set the display to match the dash illumination colour.

Getting it fitted with ugraded speakers (JL) Saturday so will let you know what it's like.

Ordered from Bluespot

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quick update. BlueSpot would not be on my list of repeat buys. When I ordered it (on Sunday) their internet site said that the parcel had to be signed for. However, this is pretty impractical as I work full time and the delivery time was one to two days so I was not willing to take 2 days off. I rang them in the week when open to ask them if I could make alternate arrangements. The guy at the end of the phone was not very helpful to say the least.

"It says clearly on the website that you need to be there to sign, could you not understand the website, do you want to give feedback on the website design so we can make it easier to understand if you could not understand it". I wasn't blaming him for anything so not sure why once he had made his point (which I accept) he couldn't just be a bit more helpful rather then just taking the pish by making the same point over and over again.

All he had to do was say here's your consignment number with the courier you'll have to see if you can make alternate arrangements with them now it has been dispatched. In the end I just said "you've made your point and this isn't getting us anywhere so if can you give me the consignment number" even after this he had to make his point again.

I don't subscribe to the customer is always right but I think you only need to tell him he's wrong once... not rub his nose in it repeatedly. :mad:

N

·
0 Posts
That's a shame. :(

I've dealt with them a number of times and
they've been good. Calling me in France to
confirm increased EU shipping charges before
billing me and quickly informing me by email
that they couldn't ship a sub-woofer
internationally. (Again due to shipping costs.)

Most independent suppliers will only ship with a
signature on receipt as that covers them against
scammers.

Doesn't excuse the attitude though. :tut:

I normally ship stuff to work, but a lot
has gone walkies recently. (Thieving and/or
incompetent French Posties :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I normally ship stuff to work, but a lot
has gone walkies recently. (Thieving and/or
incompetent French Posties :rolleyes:)
That's why I couldn't ship to work.. We have outsourced our post room and in the past when things went missing the company that handles our post (and sign for it) were being claimed against... not unreasonably when this was for private and not work related deliveries they got a bit miffed and our company policy is now not to have private good shipped to work.

I have absolutely no problem with their policy of asking for a signiture as it's expensive goods... as you say it's just this guys attitude that sucked which is why I won't buy from them again... price and getting the order out when they said they would were fine though which is why I deliberately avoided a "don't use these guys" comment.

Fortunately my neighbour was in and signed for it so I'm still on track to let you know what it sounds like on Saturday :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts