Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Silicone given off by cleaning products?

Sounds feasible but why now? What have they changed in the design of the switches?

Silicone is also present in certain lubricant sprays. Has somebody been a bit too heavy handed with lubricant when easing the brake pedal?

·
Administrator
47,913 Posts
That sounds like absolute rubbish, surely? Just how much silicone would people's hair have to be emitting for it to form a layer on a distant contact within a housing?

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
That sounds like absolute rubbish, surely? Just how much silicone would people's hair have to be emitting for it to form a layer on a distant contact within a housing?
If it's possible, it would have already happened in Cheshire.
:cheeky:

·
Administrator
47,913 Posts
Just because we don't use gravel for decorating the sides of our houses (and probably hair) on the right side of the pennines. :p

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
No danger of it happening in Yorkshire. On the odd occassion we do wash our hair, it tends to be with coal based soap rather than these modern "products".

·
Administrator
47,913 Posts
No danger of it happening in Yorkshire. On the odd occassion we do wash our hair, it tends to be with coal based soap rather than these modern "products".
Fixed that for you.

Although I'm definitely going to stop trashing Tor's thread now. :eek:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That’s a right load of.......

Did I read correctly? 33 cars affected and they’re doing a recall on millions of vehicles.

Just for a brake light switch :eek: it’s hardly a major safety issue.

I smell a rat, a rat that doesn’t use products containing silicone or it’s derivatives.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s a right load of.......

Did I read correctly? 33 cars affected and they’re doing a recall on millions of vehicles.

Just for a brake light switch :eek: it’s hardly a major safety issue.

I smell a rat, a rat that doesn’t use products containing silicone or it’s derivatives.
I swear I don't understand how these companies determine what to recall and how to fix their recalls. The latest recall notice I got on my Accord is an absolute joke.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Low current draw from LEDs and more solid state low voltage circuitry means the switches aren't wiping/self cleaning deposits off the contacts any more?
(Coupled with volatile cleaning products and spray lubes?)

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats America for you fearful of lawyers and stupid claims
I don't have the recall letter in front or me (I'll have to dig it up and post it), but the logic of the narrative goes something like this:

"Hey, Accord owner, we want to let you know that there is the potential for something to go seriously and dangerously and expensively wrong with your vehicle, but that's okay, because we're recalling the car. No, we aren't going to fix the problem, that would be silly! Instead, we're going to install a sensor that might/should/could warn you that the bad problem is about to happen. And as a bonus we'll give you a tiny extended warranty! But it won't be against the bad problem that could occur. It will be for the sensor. If, perchance, the sensor fails to give you warning about the upcoming catastrophe, we'll compensate you for the cost of the sensor failure and replacement."

:disappointed:

I haven't taken the car in yet, and probably won't until the weather gets better. I don't feel that there's any rush. Honda certainly doesn't seem too concerned. :grumpy:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
:cheese:
That's impressively useless Toronto! Quite surprising for someone like Honda. I would have thought they would have been keen to fix the problem rather than bodge around it. Having said that, if that was a European Accord they wouldn't bother doing anything about it at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts