Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am getting quite a lot of squelching sounds coming (I think from the front) during low speed manoeuvres. I.e. pulling out of my driveway and turning the wheel. The final 'jerk' or settling of the car after braking to a holt. Slow turns with lots of lock onto slightly odd camber or steep slopes (i,e, up a driveway for example).

Nothing in driving and nothing if I rock the car.

I'm fairly confident it isn't upperwishbones and no symptons that I had previously when they were the cause.

Could this be the lower arm/(s) or something else at play?

159 sw 2.4

Cheers All

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hi All,

I am getting quite a lot of squelching sounds coming (I think from the front) during low speed manoeuvres. I.e. pulling out of my driveway and turning the wheel. The final 'jerk' or settling of the car after braking to a holt. Slow turns with lots of lock onto slightly odd camber or steep slopes (i,e, up a driveway for example).

Nothing in driving and nothing if I rock the car.

I'm fairly confident it isn't upperwishbones and no symptons that I had previously when they were the cause.

Could this be the lower arm/(s) or something else at play?

159 sw 2.4

Cheers All
Squelching ?
The only time I've ever had that was when the wheel bolts weren't tightened properly (not just on the alfa, also on the wife's 4x4)

Have you had any wheels off for any reason recently?

if so nip up the wheel bolts and see how you get on.

Axe

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squelching ?
The only time I've ever had that was when the wheel bolts weren't tightened properly (not just on the alfa, also on the wife's 4x4)

Have you had any wheels off for any reason recently?

if so nip up the wheel bolts and see how you get on.

Axe
Definitely not the wheels. I've had the sound for a good few months now, in which time wheels and tyres have been on and off for changing, tracking, brakes doing etc etc so I'm confident all my wheels are properly attached :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Despite your comment I would be looking at the upper wishbone.
Hmm. Ill ask have a look. Both are less than a year old and less than 20k miles on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Could be anti roll bar bushes on front sub frame. Give them a good spray with silicone lubricant where the bar goes through the rubber bush. While you're down there spray the lower arm rear bushes where the arm spigot goes into the centre of the rubber bush. Let us know if this helps.

Sent from my E2105 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the exact same noise under the exact circumstances so will be following this post closely. I also think my upper wishbones have been replaced fairly recently. Although I no longer trust the garage so it is difficult to say for sure.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I think the 2.4’s are noisier than most cars in low speed/manoeuvre type operations?
Mine is noisy....well not noisy.....normal for this car but no other issues. New droplinks and wishbones/bushes only 4000 miles back but made no difference, also swapped out the power steering fluid, again no change....It’s normal :xmas::xmas:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
You can 'lubricate' the wishbone for a temporary fix (and to prove the fault) by squirting the two joints with a graphite spray. The dirt and moisture gets on the surfaces of a poor joint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts