Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 years old and attended nearly 400 official engagements last year. I would not want that sort of work load and I'm no where near that old. I wish him well and hope he is home soon.

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
People are worried that after a 3rd night in hospital he might miss the traditional Boxing Day "killing things" events that he would usually enjoy. I hope this doesn't set him back further.

The obsession is ridiculous. I heard a news report that said (as HRH was being FLOWN from 'home' to Papworth) that we should always remember that HRH is "a fighter"..................

I guess that the poor old ex-miner............who dies of a cardiac problem because the rationalisation of ambulance stations and cardiac units meant that he expires before ever getting close to the essential, emergency treatment that he has paid every single day of his working life into.............just wasn't enough of a fighter.

What a load of old balls!

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
90 years old and attended nearly 400 official engagements last year. I would not want that sort of work load and I'm no where near that old. I wish him well and hope he is home soon.
More like,
"was chauffeur-driven/flown to, then waited on hand-and-foot at over 400 free drinkies-eaties dos."
My heart bleeds.

People are worried that after a 3rd night in hospital he might miss the traditional Boxing Day "killing things" events that he would usually enjoy. I hope this doesn't set him back further.

The obsession is ridiculous. I heard a news report that said (as HRH was being FLOWN from 'home' to Papworth) that we should always remember that HRH is "a fighter"..................

I guess that the poor old ex-miner............who dies of a cardiac problem because the rationalisation of ambulance stations and cardiac units meant that he expires before ever getting close to the essential, emergency treatment that he has paid every single day of his working life into.............just wasn't enough of a fighter.

Bang on the money:thumbs:

V

·
0 Posts
I actually quite like having a Monarchy and have a lot of time for Her Maj. Her old man seems to have put his foot in it rather a lot, but hey ho :rolleyes:.

The number of engagements a year probably isn't quite as heavy as it seems, a lot of them will be multiple engagements. It'd be quite interesting to see how many days a year actually get taken up with work and how many days off they get?

Quite rightly, the immediate Royal family get medical care and health monitoring second to none. And if you look at how old they tend to live to it can't be that bad a life. People are generally always pleased to see them and they often see a stylised, ideal world on their travels - apparently, they think everywhere smells of fresh paint :lol:. I think they're not quite as out of touch as a lot of people think though, they just seem to have a bit of a 'way' about them (mainly the senior Royals, that is).

I wish the old goat would get a move on getting over his op. and get out of the news, I'm getting fed up with it. I'm sure he'd feel the same way about me :lol:.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume from your objection to killing things SIF that you are veggie? Surely, an animal that was shot whilst flying free has had a much better life than a battery chicken or turkey, thats lived indoors all it's life with very little room and generally rubbish, inhumane conditions? It is for reasons of animal husbandry and welfare that we only buy organic eggs and milk in this household.

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I assume from your objection to killing things SIF that you are veggie? Surely, an animal that was shot whilst flying free has had a much better life than a battery chicken or turkey, thats lived indoors all it's life with very little room and generally rubbish, inhumane conditions? It is for reasons of animal husbandry and welfare that we only buy organic eggs and milk in this household.
erm......in the context of your own thread..........your point is?

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Surely, an animal that was shot whilst flying free has had a much better life than a battery chicken or turkey, thats lived indoors all it's life with very little room and generally rubbish, inhumane conditions? It is for reasons of animal husbandry and welfare that we only buy organic eggs and milk in this household.
Yes, "an animal that was shot whilst flying free has had a much better life than a battery chicken or turkey" but why not let it carry on flying free:lol:?
If the choice was a life in captivity followed by murder or freedom followed by murder I'd choose the latter, but if there was option 3, freedom without being shot that'd be favourite:thumbs:

Personally find it a bit sick to get a kick out of killing:confused:

(and yes, I am a veggie):)

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I too wish Prince Philip well. Being away from your family through illness at Christmas is horrible no matter who you are. The other issues of workload and bloodsports are irrelevant :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I'm just having a chuckle thinking of all the 11th-hour emergency crisis meetings that TV company bosses must have been sat in.

I mean, if he'd pegged it, the whole Christmas TV schedule (which was, admittedly, absolute s***e) would have been out the window.

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
I'm just having a chuckle thinking of all the 11th-hour emergency crisis meetings that TV company bosses must have been sat in.

I mean, if he'd pegged it, the whole Christmas TV schedule (which was, admittedly, absolute s***e) would have been out the window.
some of them might have been praying for it

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
more importantly - will we get a day's state mourning when he croaks?

i don't dislike him or the royal family, it's just a paid day off work will be of more tangible benefit to me than the royal family ever will be

·
Registered
17,658 Posts

I can't disagree with a word of that..... but...

Isn't it the bl00dy media again? There are a lot of incredibly rich people
in this world who get 'care' out of all proportion to the rest of us.

Being a member of the Royal family in this country guarantees front page
coverage.

Isn't it us who buy the newspapers and watch the news who elevate them
to this 'status'

·
Registered
37,784 Posts

Spot on.

I can't imagine any other 90 year old getting such treatment.

Any other 90 year old would have likely been told "It is your age, go home and forget about it".

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Hope he's OK. Seems like a good guy to me, trying to sift through the media spin, and the high profile, typical of his generation, gaffes.

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
I don't wish him ill. I just think it's farcical that the media (that we pay for) obsess about the matter while old folk all over our country will die, or live miserably...........

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I agree the media frenzy is farcical as ever. But we are the ones that generate what they print and broadcast by buying into it.
Whatever treatment HRH gets is not about Royalty, it's about money. What we all work for and gamble on the lottery for. The more you have the better your chances of comfort, happiness and ultimately survival. It's why my brother in law is dead and a multi millionaire opera singer with the same type of brain tumour is alive.
Let's not get jealous or bitter about something we would all do for a loved one given the resources.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I don't wish him ill. I just think it's farcical that the media (that we pay for) obsess about the matter while old folk all over our country will die, or live miserably...........
I don't think its a case of obsession, it just the rest of the UK, Europe, the world for the matter, won't know about 90 year old Fred that lives at the top of your road. Prince Philip though, the world does know him.

I also strongly believe that the Monarchy do provide some sense of national identity and are of a huge asset to the economy of this tiny little island.

The Royal family is a bargain for Britain - Telegraph

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
I agree the media frenzy is farcical as ever. But we are the ones that generate what they print and broadcast by buying into it.
Whatever treatment HRH gets is not about Royalty, it's about money. What we all work for and gamble on the lottery for. The more you have the better your chances of comfort, happiness and ultimately survival. It's why my brother in law is dead and a multi millionaire opera singer with the same type of brain tumour is alive.
Let's not get jealous or bitter about something we would all do for a loved one given the resources.
Shouldn't need to be a millionaire, should you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I often wonder what the 'true' cost of state healthcare really is.

Take out all the bloodsuckers and leeches just pay the research costs
for the drugs and treatment.... I wonder how little it would be....

Welcome to a capitalist democracy :(

1 - 20 of 55 Posts