Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ECO Setting | ecosetting software files for performance improvement and fuel efficiency of petrol and diesel vehicles alfa-romeo-brera

ALFA ROMEO BRERA 4X4 Coupé/Spider 3.2i V6 (260 Hp) ' 06 ??, dyno testing, performance auto

Hello everyone, i've owned my Brera now for two years. Although it's smooth on delivering it's power i've always thought it's lacking 260bhp it suggested from Alfa Romeo's claim.
Two different sites claim it's running close to 240bhp, which i think the car feels more like.
Any thoughts on how true this is & if i decat the centre section, straight-through pipe, cat backs, remap ect, would the whole expence be really worth it? Or would i just be gaining better sound without really feeling much for the lay out? I know the Brera's a heifer lump, so probably more of a free reving car with a little more power top end is expected, but maybe that's about it :confused:

I don't want to supercharge the car, but if the car could achive a true rolling road dyno of 280bhp from close to 240bhp. I think the expence would add to the driving pleasure. So i'm willing to pay around £2,000. But i'm not looking to pay anymore for that much extra bhp. 40 bhp for £2,000 still is £50 per 1bhp

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Remember, it's 256bhp not 260.

My car will be going on the rollers soon. Standard aside from the AutoDelta branded in box Pipercross air filter and the Wizard exhaust.

It hit 49k today & is an August 2006 car. Should be interesting.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i'd like to hear those results. Mines registered feb 07, but built july 06. I have a BMC air filter the rest is all stock. It nearly has 57k on the clock, so very close in relation to yours
If they are down on power yours will at least be breathing in & out better, compared to the ashtmatic stock exhaust & air filter supplied when new.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
they're a little short from the factory, but not much... 6-7 bhp on average

you need to have a very competent tuner to get the best out of the engine, because of the variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust. 280 will be hard with just an exhaust, if you start from 250...

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's so many different tuners that claim they can remap the engine. Some say they can take the car from 260bhp to 272/4. One claims they can achieve 282bhp, just by removing the ECU chip & adding another one of their own ( very dubious ). But they all state the stock bhp is 260hp.

They also claim the 2.2 is stock at 185bhp, & they can achieve upto 200bhp. I know the 2.2 is running closer to 160bhp by many threads i have read, where they've had their cars on a rolling road to know this for sure.

So what are the real world figures? If the bhp is 250 removing the 400psi centre cats and replacing them for one 200 or even a 100psi high flow cat, with a free flowing centre pipe & a set of dyno tested cat backs, should achieve 7-10hp on a dyno run. Even then the remapping figures would all be down to how well the NA engine can breathe in and breathe out.
The true bhp needs to be known in order to make any claims on how much bhp can be achieve from this 3.2.
I think what Alfa's engineers did to the engine after they recieved it from Holden was about all that could be done.
Holden say their bhp output is 260bhp from their 3.6L version of this engine

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The car isn't 260bhp from the factory. Not sure if you missed that from my first post?

Factory figures are 256 BHP. Start from there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Remember, it's 256bhp not 260.

My car will be going on the rollers soon. Standard aside from the AutoDelta branded in box Pipercross air filter and the Wizard exhaust.

It hit 49k today & is an August 2006 car. Should be interesting.
Simon, you have to video that the sound should be something to behold:thumbs: might need ear defenders going by its effect on car alarms in pub car parks:D

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car isn't 260bhp from the factory. Not sure if you missed that from my first post?

Factory figures are 256 BHP. Start from there.
I wasn't disregarding your post SR.
I believe the engine was messured at 191kw which is 256.13521897 :lol:
But i still believe Supersprints info, after they dyno tested it at 241.1bhp, before they added their centre cat & exhaust.
Their video of that is on youtube.
Like i said please post your results after you've been on the rollers, then i can take it from there

·
Registered
200 Posts
Its not as simple as that, 2 dynos does not make a representative sample of all the 3.2s produced.

Notwithstanding that I wouldn't read too much into "before dynos" produced by tuners as figures are easily manipulated....whole can of worms!

Id be sceptical if the 3.2 Q4s were consistently down on power....as you know they're heavy, long geared with substantial drivetrain losses so never going to feel as sprightly as the competition with similar outputs imo.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All very good points raised there Aeroresh, but i remain skeptic. Reason being i can't see SuperSprint gaining anything by printing the dyno run of the Alfa Brera being down on power, also they could of qouted higher gains fron their exhaust system.
On the other hand i can see Alfa wanting the state figures that related to the compition at the time, like the Golf R32 of the same year also has a V6 4x4 & 260bhp.

Alfa Romeo, as everyone knows consistently bend the truth. They have been saying for years they're replacing the 159, & we're still waiting for that, they say we're coming back to America. They have been saying that since 2001 & they're still waiting for that.

But in all it cost an awful lot, just to even change the exhaust for this engine to have more power.
And dyno runs are not cheap to find the true bhp either.
I don't know what to do with it, in order to get the most for my money

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't know what to do with it, in order to get the most for my money
Free flowing air filter with improved inlet duct to air filter base
Cat back exhaust - Wizard or one from Gus at Alfatune plus one of Gus's remaps.
Should see 280, improved drive and sound very nice.
Anything else is BIG money.....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Several on here have been r/roaded and the results were on the money or even slighty higher.

Andy's stock Brera S (with the Prodrive exhaust) hit c270bhp IIRC.

As mentioned above, all the r/roads differ and calculations ref transmission losses can too.

Mine should be interesting and yes, I'll video it :)

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think that's the best bet SWQ4, have a chat with Alfatune to see what's the best thing to do with my budget.
They have mentioned the best thing would be to rid the manifolds of their cats, with a remap.
But i understand that's an engine out job, with more labour charges, ect.
Also i've made my mined up on the Cat backs, even though Alfatune do an exhaust. I'm drawn towards the Ragazzons which i like the look of & they sound good on youtube clips on the 3.2 V6. On the Brera below they look stunning

Also thanks SqaudronRosso, it will be interesting to see the results of the dyno run, & the video footage too :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
£249 all in for 12 BHP & 20 nms of torque:confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I always thought bhp was a guesstimate based on assumptions of transmission losses. It can only be used as a relative comparison so is only valid on the same rolling road on the same day with the same transmission loss assumptions. Any values quoted are only a near guess and shouldn't be taken as exact, so say a 5% difference in assumptions on losses would give a 12bhp difference in quoted bhp for the same car - or around 240-260bhp on the rolling road output depending on assumptions.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This is where I'm going on 7th March

Indigo-GT Performance & Alignment Centre

They do re-maps too :cool:

Car and Van Remap Search. Evolution Chips.

Thoughts??
The Dyno centre (Indigo-gt) looks good, but on Evolution Chips i can't seem the find any info on the Brera or 159? Think Alfatune would be a safer option for any changes made to the stock map.
After all it is very smooth, even at low speed pottering around looking for somewhere to park ( no judders ).
I wouldn't want to ruin that

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always thought bhp was a guesstimate based on assumptions of transmission losses. It can only be used as a relative comparison so is only valid on the same rolling road on the same day with the same transmission loss assumptions. Any values quoted are only a near guess and shouldn't be taken as exact, so say a 5% difference in assumptions on losses would give a 12bhp difference in quoted bhp for the same car - or around 240-260bhp on the rolling road output depending on assumptions.
That's the thing i don't know how a rolling road really calculates all things need to take into account.
I can only take an experts word or proof they can show me. ;)

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
£2000 for an extra 40 bhp if it were me I would keep the money in the bank mate.
The money isn't really that much of an issue, it's the fact i don't want to end up disappointed with something i was hoping more from in terms of tuning, or your right i'd rather just keep it the way it is.
But if the power is slightly down from Alfa's qouted figures (256) & i can get 280bhp, with the added sound am sure it would feel like owning a new car again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts