Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a new clutch fitted to 147 JTDm sport Q2, 55,000 miles, should the DMF need replacing?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If your clutch feels heavy, or is affected by getting warm in town traffic( poss slippage) then that's normally a symptom of the dfm failing, if you intend to keep the car then I would replace the dfm as you have spent the labour getting to that point. It seems there are wild variations on what type of mileages on how these things last. My dfm slipped when hot from 29000 miles, got gradually heavy
It lasted me till 125000 miles.hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your clutch feels heavy, or is affected by getting warm in town traffic( poss slippage) then that's normally a symptom of the dfm failing, if you intend to keep the car then I would replace the dfm as you have spent the labour getting to that point. It seems there are wild variations on what type of mileages on how these things last. My dfm slipped when hot from 29000 miles, got gradually heavy
It lasted me till 125000 miles.hope this helps
Hmmm, clutch has always been heavy but never slips - pedal travel is very short, like on or off, just had cambelt/water pump etc. done so loathe to sell now! Thanks for info, DR.

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Depends if it had excess play in it or not, the only way to know for sure is to remove the gearbox, remove the old clutch and then physically check the DMF.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You have already paid for the expensive service items on the car, if you expect to replace the front suspension arms ( around £500) around 75000 miles
Then apart from your service your next main expense will be around 70000 miles from your last belt change.this will take you to around 4/5 years of motoring. Well worth the outlay, if you like the car it works out a reasonable long term commitment , mines up to 135000 miles, I really do have a problem trying to find another car that ticks so many boxes.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think change it if it needs it is good advice.

Clutch + slave cylinder were replaced on my 147 Sport Q2 at 60k, by the previous owner. When I bought the car last November I was concerned that the DMF had not been changed. He said there was no point, the DMF was fine, and he was right. It is fine at 78k. No noises or slop at all, the clutch is smooth and light. Or was when I last drove it, now in bits for swirl flap damage, but that's another story...

Elsewhere I've seen it said that, treated sympathetically, a DMF will last the life of 2 clutches. Allegedly it's slogging the engine at low revs that batters them to early death, better to use the clutch and more revs as you'd have to in a petrol car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
As Pud says, you can only check the DMF when the gearbox is off. When my DMF failed it gave no symptoms or noise until right near the end. The original lasted 140,000 miles and only made noticeable noise (plus some vibration through the clutch pedal) for the last 1,000 miles.

Keith

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Begs the question ... why are you changing a clutch at only 55K miles when it doesn't slip ? If it's because it's stiff/heavy then this is usually related to the release mechanism rather than the clutch itself. I had the on/off pedal effect but this was cured by simply lubricating the release arm bushes.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Begs the question ... why are you changing a clutch at only 55K miles when it doesn't slip ? If it's because it's stiff/heavy then this is usually related to the release mechanism rather than the clutch itself. I had the on/off pedal effect but this was cured by simply lubricating the release arm bushes.
Lots of ways the clutch can fail before slipping, lots of ways it can go heavy...

Take mine for example - it was heavy at 35k, I lubed the bushing and changed the slave cylinder at 38k, pressure plate failed at 40k meaning the whole clutch pack needed changing. Clutch was heavy because the pressure-plate/bearing was on its way out.

Entirely possible they've been advised by a garage that the clutch is on it's way out and needs doing, as I was by Ned about 5k before mine failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts