Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I normally use a blade for drying the car after a good wash, yes i know they are the devils work and have got scratches to prove it but they do a superb job after giving a streak / smear free finish.

Last night i was unable to find my blade so had to use a drying towel, the results were appaling. The paintwork look dull and still had watermarks / smears. I had to polish over it this morning to make it look better.

So what other alternative are there to blades that do the job properly ?

Mike.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Microfibre towel. I have a large one (about 750mm square I'd say). Buy a decent one though and not the sheite from Pound shops and alike as they maywell be OK for the washing up but useless for the car.

Only been using them for six months and will no go back to a leather.
The only thing I use my bladed for is to dry the soft top. The blade is still at my Mums so I used the towel to dry the roof.

I am not sure why yours looked bad as even my black GT (which TBH has awful paint) looks good after using the towel.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There's different types of microfiber towel and using the right one yields the best results. If you try to use one of the really fine ones for drying or removing polish its never going to work. The coarser ones are best for that job. The fine ones are ideal for buffing after using wax/polish.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Synthetic super absorbant chamois frequently cleansed during use in a bucket of copious amounts of clean acidulated (vinegar) water. I don't know what it would do to the wax layer (I don't wax my beater) but I used to use this method when I used to work as a deckhand on the super yachts in Mallorca and use it on my car with excellent results, no more spots and a very nice shine. First start with the glass and then the rest of the car. Dry the glass off further with black and white newspaper immediately after passing the chamois. Cheap as well!!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Synthetic super absorbant chamois frequently cleansed during use in a bucket of copious amounts of clean acidulated (vinegar) water. I don't know what it would do to the wax layer (I don't wax my beater) but I used to use this method when I used to work as a deckhand on the super yachts in Mallorca and use it on my car with excellent results, no more spots and a very nice shine. First start with the glass and then the rest of the car. Dry the glass off further with black and white newspaper immediately after passing the chamois. Cheap as well!!
I clean the exterior glass in that way. I wouldn't do the whole car though, I'd be scared that the acid in the vinegar would attack the paint/laquer.

G

·
0 Posts
Chamois in bucket of clean water with a tiny tiny bit of wash and wax but one very small drip no more.:thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
I recently did a HUGE thread on detailing in the detailing lounge..

Take a look and there are links for various products for you too use. The giant drying towel on there is superb.

:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I clean the exterior glass in that way. I wouldn't do the whole car though, I'd be scared that the acid in the vinegar would attack the paint/laquer.
I would assume, if you frequently wax the car, all you really would be doing is attacking the old wax layer then afterwards i'd go back and rewax.... but as I've stated I don't wax my beater so I can't really give an experienced comment.

Your choice of soaps also affects the paint.... I could even throw acid rain into the mix :lol:... maybe I won't go there. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Chamois in bucket of clean water with a tiny tiny bit of wash and wax but one very small drip no more.:thumbs:
Interesting, what's the benefit of this? wouldn't it leave soapy marks on the car?

I just use a synthetic chamois with clean water, windows/mirrors first then roof down

·
Registered
656 Posts
Karcher wet vac, essentially large blade with wet vac on it. Bought by the misses for our wet room ensuite. Keep blade clean after each wipe and its brill!

·
Administrator
86,632 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Interesting, what's the benefit of this? wouldn't it leave soapy marks on the car?

I just use a synthetic chamois with clean water, windows/mirrors first then roof down
It is just to help in hard water stopping the streaks. Also a good tip if you dont have time to wax after or you need to rinse off light dust.
I'm a bit old fashioned and learned this when I had to wash 30 cars every day on forecourt at a dealer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a wooly mammoth drying towel, works a treat but I now have a metro-vac car dryer because I am that sad...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Large microfibre cloth with a blend of 70% Polyester and 30% Polyamide mix, nothing else. Chamois leather's kill modern paint, DO NOT use a chamois on a modern car. Or do so at your own risk and end up with swirl city.

Daz.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts