Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing? - need something to lube the window channels without getting sticky mess everywhere
Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, I've used this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Spray-Dry-Type-Lubricant/dp/B000MQX7K2

Its good and doesn't leave a gunky mess, but creeps everywhere and is difficult to remove.

I'd open the door, wind down the window, cover the car and door with a sheet and then just give it a little squirt in the channel before running the window up and down a few times. A little bit goes a long way and you don't want too much.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Alex - I've asked questions on Amazon about that one and some others

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I've used the 3in1 silicone listed before on my GT's creaking hatchback boot - it is OK and doesn't leave too much residue
An alternative is a spray can of silicone spray from the plumbes merchants, (used to assist when assembling waste pipe) which seems to be purer - ie doesn't have any extra additives and is more like the expensive 3m stuff but at a tenth of the price...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the 3in1 silicone listed before on my GT's creaking hatchback boot - it is OK and doesn't leave too much residue
An alternative is a spray can of silicone spray from the plumbes merchants, (used to assist when assembling waste pipe) which seems to be purer - ie doesn't have any extra additives and is more like the expensive 3m stuff but at a tenth of the price...
This stuff?
One guy said he uses it for his rubik's cube so i guess it must be ok .......
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-...1461657675&sr=8-2&keywords=silicone+spray+dry

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,570 Posts
Having recently sold up a sailing boat I am quite familiar with PTFE dry lube. We used to use this stuff:

Holt Pro-Lube Spray

I have used it just recently on a creaking hood on the 939 Spider. Silicon spray is also great for jobs like getting new hoses on or (sometimes if you are lucky) stopping squeaking suspension rubbers. The 39 quid for the 3M is a joke.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
547 Posts
I use this on squeaky windows, and also on the (madly complicated) sunroof mechanism of my Fiat Stilo Abarth!

Silicone Spray 400ml - Toolstation

Seems to work really well, and at £2.79 and free delivery over £10....

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've gone for the PTFE stuff from Amazon - thanks all for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts