Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the 1.4 155HP petrol version. It was given to a friend as a test drive and I was taken for a ride and got a chance to drive it a little.

From the passenger side it doesn't feel very different than a 147. The dash is a little bit higher but the whole feeling of the car around you is very deja-vu. My friend had been driving it for some days so he was accustomed to the car's handling so I had the chance to see how the car corners.

But first we took it out on a motorway. It accelerates like a JTD at fourth, fifth and sixth gear and seems -and probbly is- quite faster than a 147 2.0TS. The suspension is firm but really comfortable at high speeds and the car feels very steady.

Then we cornered it a little on a B road. Under hard cornering the rear suspension seems a little soft compared to the front one -probably to smooth out any oversteer that would be abrupt due to the car's small wheelbase. As a passenger I could not feel the car's electronics kick in but the driver told me he could feel their engagement despite the fact that they did not intervene too much and did not hold the car back as is the case with the VDC.

Then I took the wheel for a while and drove it hard with the DNA at "D". The engine is slow under 3000rpm, gives you a kick at mid range -and you can see the overboost of the little turbine in the pressure gauge inside the multifunctional display- but starts to pant over 5500rpm. I realised that there was no point in taking the engine to the redline so I shifted at 6,000rpm max.

The feeling of the car around me was a lot like that of a 147 but it seemed a little bit narrower and higher in stance. The steering wheel at "D" was good, with a similar feeling to the 147's but with less feedback from the road's surface, like that of a 147 with 15" wheels -the Mito had 17". the brakes are very strong but the pedal travel was too small and I had to be careful not to brake too hard. The gearbox was good but according to my friend it will overheat and become crunchy after prolonged hard use. Of course this was a test drive car so the gearbox may have been heavily misused already.

I liked the car overall but I would never trade my 147 to a Mito even though the latter is brand new and considerably faster. This car is not for people who already own an Alfa but to newcomers to the marque and I think that it will make a very good impression to them.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Yes, as Commanderfish said a very interesting review. However, could you kindly elaborate further on you conclusion of why you feel its meant for people who don't already own an Alfa.

Also, could you confirm what the interior space is like, especially in the back

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
interesting review as the other two posters said. Does that mean a 3-door 149 will be for Alfisti and the MiTo for newbies:confused:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, as Commanderfish said a very interesting review. However, could you kindly elaborate further on you conclusion of why you feel its meant for people who don't already own an Alfa.
I've talked to several people who own a 147 and have seen it and even test-driven it. Most of them say that they wouldn't trade their 147 for a Mito and the ones who would or already did are the younger ones.

The car is great overall but apart from its great performance it is not perceivably better than a 147 in areas that matter in an Alfa Romeo: road handling, steering wheel feeling and character. The points where it is better are the engine, the existence of six gears -but not the gearbox itself that much- and the better electronics. The steering wheel is (only slightly) worse and the handling is about the same as a 147 with a good aftermarket suspension.

Don't know, didn't bother to sit at the back since I don't have a family. Sorry.

Does that mean a 3-door 149 will be for Alfisti and the MiTo for newbies:confused:
Rumour has it that there won't be a 3 door 149, they will only come with 5 doors. I suspect that it will be much better than the Mito only if they use more expensive suspension setup, i.e. double wishbones front and multilink rear. If they keep the Fiat Bravo/Lancia Delta suspension (McPherson struts/Torsion beam) it cannot be that much better than them or the Mito overall.

Some things that I forgot to mention: The sound of the engine is good, it sounds a lot like a TS, only a bit louder maybe. The interior is tasteful but looks a little cheaper than a 147's despite the fact that the latter is 8 years old now. It is pleasant but not as elegant as a 147's and it gives you the impression that it was designed to attract younger people.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I
Rumour has it that there won't be a 3 door 149, they will only come with 5 doors. I suspect that it will be much better than the Mito only if they use more expensive suspension setup, i.e. double wishbones front and multilink rear. If they keep the Fiat Bravo/Lancia Delta suspension (McPherson struts/Torsion beam) it cannot be that much better than them or the Mito overall.
Thanks for the info; but in respect of the 149 Autoexpress are saying it will come in both 3 and 5 doors; although you are correct the original rumour was that MiTo was 3 door and 149 5 door

Autoexpress

·
Registered
560 Posts

Interior space is very similar to 147, even in the back ( I have tried it with my 192 cm) boot is the same (10 lit less)
Since interior space is almost the same as in GPunto, you can try Grande Punto..

·
Registered
560 Posts
The interior is tasteful but looks a little cheaper than a 147's despite the fact that the latter is 8 years old now. It is pleasant but not as elegant as a 147's and it gives you the impression that it was designed to attract younger people.
Agree.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the one I drove was a white one with 17" "five horseshoe" wheels and black rings around the headlights reminiscent of a dalmatian dog. :lol:

In Giulietta red not that good. That colour is too orange and seems old and faded under the sun. Much better in white or Etna black or in standard Alfa Romeo Rosso.

It looks shorter in length and taller than a 147. The front end is not that great mainly because of the headlights that should have been a couple of cm lower and more apart from each other. The distance between the front wheel arch and the door seam is almost non-existent to the point that you think that the left front wheel is right by the driver's feet.

The side and rear view are much better and the only thing that you would want is a lower suspension that would make the wheels fill the wheel arches and make the car look more aggressive. With the stock suspension the 17" wheels seem too small inside their flared arches.

I hate to admit it but at some angles it looks more like a Grande Punto with Alfa Romeo styled details than the replacement of the 3-dr 147, mostly because of the car's proportions. I think the headlights will look better if their silver lining is painted black, maybe a TI version.

·
Registered
560 Posts
what's the mito look like in the flesh?

Looks better in flesh, no bug-eyed appearance...
Internal looks more italian and more Alfa like than 159/Brera. For me 159/Brera is too much german inside, a big step back in internal design compared to 147/GT
And it does not look like Grande Punto, not from inside and not from outside

A

·
0 Posts
Looks better in flesh, no bug-eyed appearance...
Internal looks more italian and more Alfa like than 159/Brera. For me 159/Brera is too much german inside, a big step back in internal design compared to 147/GT
And it does not look like Grande Punto, not from inside and not from outside
thats great news... now i'm exited... :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Small review from a friend of mine who owned old MINI Cooper S (compressor), and now has new one (turbo).

Definitely not a Mini but it is OK:
-drives OK, no roll
-steering a little vague
-gearshifting too long
-materials inside OK, but little worse then top spec Mini

Conclusion: generally OK, little worse then Mimi, but it costs much much less

When I meet him, I will ask for more details about driving it, but since he don't have any bad remarks to handling department (has a racing experience and drives a Porsche GT3), I think that it is OK :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Good review, nice to be able to compare notes and I could not agree more. As you say, it runs out of steam before the red line so there's no point in taking it all the way up there. I'm sure after market mods will help to keep it pulling all the way to the limiter so should be interesting to see what the likes of Autodelta manage to get out of this pocket rocket. I also managed to test drive the JTD version and found that there really is not much difference in the kick you get form both. It's where the kick starts and finishes that makes the difference; shorter legs on the diesel.

·
Registered
631 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: shame you can't even get the name right :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
a
Leave him be Kevin, it's obviously not a 'real' Alfa you know not built on a pure italian chassis with pure italian designed engines designed and built by a pure italian company. So he can pick and choose how he wants to randomly slag it off without even getting the model designation correct .... :lol:

Tbh I can't see how you can slag a car off for looking like a Fiat these days as they look great

1 - 20 of 26 Posts