Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon their UK return last year, my folks bought a MK5 Golf 1.6 FSI manual. It did its job for the time it took them to make a new home here and they clocked up 10k in it. I went in it maybe once or twice, and two things stood out; the ride quality was just superb (15" wheels), and how quiet it was.

My mum, however - now that the home is sorted - wanted to change it for an auto. And as of a week ago, they now have a 2010 MK6 Golf TDi auto.

Collected my mum from my nan's today to take her back home (and on arrival have a lunch worthy of a separate foodie thread :)), I got to see their new car. My dad asked me to take it for a drive, to see what I thought. I did barely two miles in the car and the gearbox is interesting. There was a slightly perceptible thunk as it changed first time from 1st to 2nd (car was cold when i started it), but every change thereafter was utterly, utterly smooth - through feel or sensation, without looking at the rev counter, I could not detect a single change/shift. I don't know if this is the DSG box or not, but it smoothness is extraordinary.

But here's a thing...at a roundabout, it seemed to hunt a bit between 2nd/1st/2nd, and on two corners it did the same...it sort of dithered between gears.

The rest of the car? Maybe I'm used to old brakes, but my goodness new brakes just need a gentle caress and the car stops dead. Soon got used to them. Steering - hmm, felt 'synthetic', not true.

Still, a nice car, ideal for my 'rents. But i will take it for a longer drive next time just to see whether that interesting gearbox is a gem, or a flawed one.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts