Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I’m would like to drop the engine out of my sprint to clean up both that and the bulkhead

those hydraulic wheel ramps look good as they get the car good and high although them presumably I’d be wanting some sort of jack with a platform on it to lower the motor and box out. The ramp jacks seem to be a few hundred pounds and another new jack platform won’t come cheap. When you’ve dropped a motor did you find a cheap way not involving a lift to get the engine and box out from under.ideally a solution that has not left you sucking you teeth and worrying the car is going to topple over - I’ve done that elsewhere!

thanks

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Dropping the engine out of a sud/sprint is straightforward. I jack the front up high and sit it on axle stands at the front jacking points. Then I remove the centre mount bolt, leave the rear gearbox mount, put a trolley jack under the centre of the front crossmember, unbolt the crossmember and lower the engine and gearbox down onto the floor. Then unbolt the rear mount and drop that onto the floor. If you put some thin plywood under it you can just drag it out from under the car. Even heavy corrugated card is strong enough. You need 2 people to pull it though, unless you're very strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really helpful thank you 😊 . My present trolly jack is old rubbish and will only lift about foot if that. I need a new jack anyway - how high do you think it needs to lift to get the car high enough as the higher jacks lift the more they cost. I have the axle stands and everything else - my really big jack was stolen some years ago. Many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts