Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...I am looking to take a 3.0 engine from a 1999 166 (cf2) to put in my 2005 156 2.6 v6 Q system (cf3).... Doing a bit of research online it looks like it's possible and I've got plenty of details covered so don't really need any technical advice here except for one final question....

I was just wondering...should I anticipate any issues with the Q system transmission bolting up to the 166 3 litre engine ok? ...is it a straightforward plug and play affair or do I need to be aware of a bunch of issues.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. 馃榾馃憤

• Forum software by XenForo RSS

Registered
No, should just fit. You鈥檒l need the mounting hardware from the 156, 166 is different, but it should be a drop in. I believe the 2.5 ECU can handle the 3.0 without modification.

Registered
I'm not sure, but I did deal with someone recently who had a 156 with a GTV 3.0L in it and the Q-system. I think he bought the car off the fiat/alfa guy in Cambridge who may have done the conversion.

Registered
The 3.0V6 from a GTV does drop straight in.
The 3.0V6 from a 166 needs work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The 3.0V6 from a GTV does drop straight in.
The 3.0V6 from a 166 needs work.
You mean work such as the following?

The central water coolant pipe between the banks with the thermostat on the end needs swapping over from the 2.5 to the 3.0, along with top engine mount.

Keep the 2.5 oil heat exchanger where the filter is mounted.

All the 2.5 CF3 sensors will fit the 3.0 CF2. Just make sure touse the 3.0 injectors.

Other than that, it's all pretty much plug and play.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All, just run into a potential snag... The 3.OL I have is from a 166 auto.

So ...Ok if I drop that into a 156 auto Q-system them hopefully I could just re-use the same flex plate that is already attached to the 3.0L engine.
....BUT...
I have now also bought myself a 156 V6 manual and thinking it would be great to have the 3.0L dropped into that, but I am led to believe the crank, flywheel and pulley are all designed to be balanced as one combined assembly unit, meaning I would not be able to use the flywheel from the 2.5L manual motor and transfer that to the 3.OL engine, is that correct?...In which case I would need to source a flywheel for a 166 3.OL manual if I wanted to proceed with this work?

Cheers for any tips or knowledge anyone might be able to share. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The 156 2.5 flywheel is a solid one and the 166 3.0 has a dmf flywheel in manual cars
Yes but I think that is a separate conversation to the one about overall balancing!... reading the forum threads it looks like actually it is possible to swap a 156 2.5 V6 flywheel onto a 3.0 litre 166 V6 block...seems like others have done it without too many issues. if anyone has done so and can vouch to it working fine please do let me know I'm keen to hear from you 馃憤馃榾

Registered
Yes but I think that is a separate conversation to the one about overall balancing!... reading the forum threads it looks like actually it is possible to swap a 156 2.5 V6 flywheel onto a 3.0 litre 166 V6 block...seems like others have done it without too many issues. if anyone has done so and can vouch to it working fine please do let me know I'm keen to hear from you 馃憤馃榾
All the 24v 3.0V6 manuals had DMF and it was a common mod to fit a 2.5V6 solid flywheel, especially on the GTV V6.
3.2V6 solid flywheels are slightly lighter, but not by a huge amount.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
All the 24v 3.0V6 manuals had DMF and it was a common mod to fit a 2.5V6 solid flywheel, especially on the GTV V6.
3.2V6 solid flywheels are slightly lighter, but not by a huge amount.
馃憤 Cheers David C

Registered
Well I can tell you that it does work and there are no problems once fitted. My 156 has a 166 3.0 V6 and it is simply excellent and enjoyable in every way. Might well be worth considering the Brembo brake conversion too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Well I can tell you that it does work and there are no problems once fitted. My 156 has a 166 3.0 V6 and it is simply excellent and enjoyable in every way. Might well be worth considering the Brembo brake conversion too.
Thanks Karl...yes Brembos are definitely going on as well! 馃憤

1 - 17 of 17 Posts