Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, I have just gotten a 1.4TB (114kw/ 155bhp).
I like to have some sound on the turbo spool or oosh but not willing to have the one with open pod which is way too noisy and loud.
Just something better than stock will be good.
Will BMC or K&n be able to achieve that?

·
Registered
546 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the recommendation.
I will certainly look into the BMC drop in.
Just curious how would the intake pipe sound differently based on different material from the stock.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have the metal intake pipe and you can hear (although not that much) a difference to the genuine plastik intake pipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah so long there is a slight improvement over the stock. Don't have to turn heads, just for self pleasure.
Althou I am seriously thinking to invest the money on changing the transmission oil and checking the belts.
Heard stories on the M32

·
Registered
18 Posts
First thing to do is to do the maintenance. Then you can replace the panel filter with something else- I just fited Pipercross one. No power gain just slightly different induction sound, if you try to hear it. My experience with the transmission oil is that the transmission is interesting- better shifting, but whining noise appeared. The oil is tutela, then added bardahl additive which improved the shifting a little. May be a 75w90 oil is better, but the motul gear 300 is too expensive for me especially now when already spend some money on oil and the transmission is getting bad.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, worth changing the oil if your M32 gearbox is whine-free to try help reduce the risk of issues developing - one of the suspected causes of premature bearing issues is that the gearbox runs hot and the oil can degrade as a result (and too many people trust the "filled for life" thing). Fuchs Sintofluid 75W-80 is one that seems to get a lot of recommendations as does Red Line MT-90 75W-90 (there are a few other fully synthetics which different places suggest too - e.g. Courtenay Motorsport use Millers CRX NT+ 75w-90). Useful pages on M32:
https://stillrunningstrong.com/car-maintenance/m32-gearbox-bearings/

M32 Gearbox ? WG Motorworks

My Mito had an M32 rebuild at 38k miles shortly after I bought it to replace a few bearings - there was a whine I first noticed on the motorway driving home from the dealer - thankfully the cost covered was covered by the warranty from dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read that it's recommended to change 7 bearings. Mine is under 6 mths warranty of engine and gearbox by the dealer.
I do hope this is under warranty claim if I start hearing whining

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have finally ordered and install the BMC drop in filter. The suction of air is definitely louder when I floored it hard and there is a slightly improvement in sound of the whoosh when I release the pedal straight after flooring hard.performance wise, nah, can't feel a thing.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts