Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

Recently replaced discs and pads all round on my 2001 156 Sportwagon. All seems to be working fine, however after about 2-3 miles driving I am getting a loud droning noise which seems to be coming from the front passenger side. This isn't constant - it seems to come and go. Very loud at times and then it disappears for a few miles.

I've had everything adrift a few times and have put it all back together with plenty of copper grease, however this has made no difference.

The noise stops momentarily if I merely touch the brake pedal. Doesn't seem to be related to speed, however it seems to start when I'm slowing down (i.e. lifting off, not braking) or turning left. I can feel it through the steering wheel as well.

The brakes were working well before I changed them - pads were approaching their limit and discs were badly corroded, but I never had this noise until now.

Any ideas on what this could be? It's driving me nuts!

I'm going on the basis that it's brake related as it seems too much of a coincidence to be anything else.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Your calipers are probably not sliding on their sliders properly.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
/\ or that...!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
At my last service I was told I had a wheel bearing going due to a droning noise; however I haven't changed it yet as it isn't the bearing.

It either occurs when braking (grooved disks) or on some roads surfaces due to tyre tread design (Proxes).

Is that tempting fate??

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Cheers for the swift replies. If it was a wheel bearing wouldn't the noise be constant? Also, wouldn't the noise increase in line with speed, etc.?
Not nessesarily.
The loading on the bearing can change with braking, steering or acceleration so this can make the noise change or dissapear.

Having said that when I fitted new discs to my 156 they did make a droning noise during light braking until the machining marks had worn off.

They were quiet when not braking though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not nessesarily.
The loading on the bearing can change with braking, steering or acceleration so this can make the noise change or dissapear.

Having said that when I fitted new discs to my 156 they did make a droning noise during light braking until the machining marks had worn off.

They were quiet when not braking though.
Thanks. Is there any other way of determining whether or not it's the bearing?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Have you tried jacking it up and spinning the wheel?
As well as feeling for any movement that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Doubt I should subscribe to this thread, knowing nothing of modern motors wheel bearing replacement procedures!:D But the 'kits' look a doddle to fit compared to extracting the old bearings, and pressing in new as was in days of yore?:):

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried jacking it up and spinning the wheel?
As well as feeling for any movement that shouldn't be there.
Yes - I checked this when changing the discs and pads. Didn't notice anything untoward. I'll give it another go.

If it is the bearing, should I drive with it in this condition? Also, is replacement possible for DIY?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
From the illustration someone supplied the other day, it looks like a hub assembly, complete with the bearings fitted that just bolts on? The big nut on the drive shaft needs a determined effort, as they did on the earlier systems, but apart from that, looks pretty straightforward?:):

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the illustration someone supplied the other day, it looks like a hub assembly, complete with the bearings fitted that just bolts on? The big nut on the drive shaft needs a determined effort, as they did on the earlier systems, but apart from that, looks pretty straightforward?:):
Sounds easy right enough, but then most jobs do! :lol:

I'll do some investigation....

156 is starting to annoy me a bit now - sorted long standing MAF problem and then tuning chip malfunction, replaced brakes and now this. Alfas are definitely a mixture of pleasure and pain!
The good points still outweigh the bad......just!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely - a good run when everything is working makes it all worthwhile! The 156 has the best steering feel of any car I've ever driven, and with the 2.4JTD ("chipped" to 180bhp) it's the fastest accelerating car I've ever had. Add in 42mpg plus a purchase price of just £3k and you've got an unbeatable package.

Must keep reminding myself of that.....!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I'd let you know that I've finally identified the problem!

Convinced that it wasn't the bearing, so I took the caliper to bits again and made sure that the slides were as clean as possible. Reassembled with loads of brake grease to lubricate them and all seems to be well. Here's hoping anyway...!

Interesting to note that the slides weren't damaged and they had a small amount of grease on them - seems that this wasn't enough.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
I know alfasheltie has sorted his noise problem but I'd just add that sometimes the noise problem can be the tyres.

I was convinced I had a rear wheel bearing going on our Clio. Checked all four wheels and everything felt fine ... no play, no tightness, etc. Both rear bearings caps seemed to be fairly new and I found a receipt that said the n/s had been changed so I was convinced it was the o/s.

Then I noticed there appeared to be a flat spot on the rear n/s tyre. On closer inspection there were several flat spots on both rear tyres .. which seem to be at regular intervals around the tread and only on the inner half!! Really odd. I've yet to take them into a tyre place for them to look at.

Can't say how they got like this as the car was bought 2nd-hand ... all I know is the rear wheels appear to be brand new (shame they didn't replace the fronts as well!) but I can't see any balance weights! :confused: It could be someone put a part worn pair of tyres on the wheels, or lack of balancing has caused problem, but the dealer I got it from hasn't got any history or idea apart from the one receipt.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Then I noticed there appeared to be a flat spot on the rear n/s tyre. On closer inspection there were several flat spots on both rear tyres .. which seem to be at regular intervals around the tread and only on the inner half!! Really odd. I've yet to take them into a tyre place for them to look at.

That's usually a shock or bushing issue isnt' it ??
I'm no expert but im sure i've seen it diagnosed as that before (ie wheel bounces slightly as shock or bushing is cack, wearing out the tyre in a non linear fashion).

(I'm dressed by non linear fashion when appearing on AO):p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts