Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have the strangest fault ion my 2013 Giulietta, 1.4 Multair.

My car was in a workshop and the battery ran low so they had to recharge the battery. When I got the car back, the Day Time Running lights on both lights don't work. On the Left Front Headlight Unit, the indicator, the low beam and high beam all work. On the Right Front Headlight Unit, the low beam works but the high beam and the right indicator doesn't work.

I have checked the bulbs and they are not the problem.

I have also checked the fuses and they are all fine.

When I indicate right (which doesn’t flash), there is a mechanical noise that coincides with the flashing but the noise is coming from the left headlight unit which is working fine.

When I go to adjust the headlights level, it only the front left light raises or lowers, the left headlight remains still.

Finally, on the dash, it shows faults for:

1. Check running lights
  2. Check daytime running lights
  3. check right hand side turn light

Here is a video of the issue:

Would anyone have experienced a similar issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
382 Posts
May sound like a daft question but lets start with the basics...

Do the rear lights work?

If NOT then its the BCM, if they do then its a loose / damaged connection, and my money would be C011 as its the earth connection for all the affected systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May sound like a daft question but lets start with the basics...

Do the rear lights work?

If NOT then its the BCM, if they do then its a loose / damaged connection, and my money would be C011 as its the earth connection for all the affected systems.
Hello iSquithy,

Please advise what the BCM is?

Secondly, in talking to the mechanics that were working on my car, they did mention an "earth" issue. If that is the case, how can I go about checking and ruling that out?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hello iSquithy,

Please advise what the BCM is?

Secondly, in talking to the mechanics that were working on my car, they did mention an "earth" issue. If that is the case, how can I go about checking and ruling that out?

Thanks,
Ben
Hay.

The BCM is the Body Control Module - it's the computer that controls all the modules in the car. It connects to the ECU, ABS, the Radio, Heated Seats, Dashboard, Lights.... its also where the proxi (configuration) of the car is stored.

The way I would go about testing for (and fixing) a earth problem is to start with a simple circuit and give it a good earth and see what happens.

You will need,
Test light (you can use a Multimeter too)
Some wire

So with your car I would pick the dipped beam to test as it can be got to the easiest.

1. Pull black bung off the back of the light, and unplug the connection to the bulb.
2. Remove bulb from light and reconnect to connector
3. Connect test light wire to battery Negative, or a shiny bit of the engine and test it is working by touching the tip onto the battery Positive, the test light should light up.
4. Turn on your lights.
5. Touch the tip of the test light onto one of the terminals of the bulb.

If test light, lights on terminal but dipped beam bulb does not, that is the Positive supply for bulb, mark it and test other terminal.

If test light and dipped beam bulb light, that is the Earth terminal, and confirmation that the problem is with the C011 Earth point **

If test light, lights on both terminals but dipped beam bulb does not check bulb.

If test light does not light at all, repeat from step 3 if still same result, there may be a BCM problem.

** From the schematics, the C011 Earth point is under the headlamp attached to the inner wing and is probably covered in green nasty corrosion

I hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-F907B using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts