Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs.GC and I are going to be taking the JTS for a blast up to North Wales for a few days next week. As we are on holiday, I am going to try to avoid the motorways - does anyone know any good routes to get from Portsmouth (Hampshire) to Bangor (N.Wales)? The more scenic the better, as I have all day to do the drive. :cool:

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat while I am there. I don't mind the price, but I am looking for good quality local food. So, if you know of any outstanding local restaurants/pubs, any tips would be most welcome. :)

We're planning to take in Portmeirion, and maybe a trip over to Anglesey - is there anything else I really shouldn't miss? Unfortunately we are only there for 3 days, but it would be nice to see what the area has to offer.
With thanks, in anticipation, to the AO Tourist Board :p ;)

Oh, and don't forget to wave if you see me enroute between Hampshire and Anglesey next Monday :thumbs: :D

·
Regional Support South, Is there a meet near you?
2,884 Posts
If you're heading for bangor i'd say the Llanberis Pass is a stunning bit of scenery and a good drive if it's caravan free.

A4086, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, United Kingdom - Google Maps

If you want a real blast in the car the EVO triangles on the way there as well though you might want to do that on your own preferably early in the morning.. fantastic roads A543 - B4501 - A5 - see the triangle in the map

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=evo+triangle&sll=53.12638,-4.10202&sspn=0.1508,0.307617&ie=UTF8&ll=53.075465,-3.572617&spn=0.146029,0.307617&z=12

As for a good route to get there directly M25 - M40 - M54 - A5

·
Regional Support South, Is there a meet near you?
2,884 Posts
The other option is to go across to south wales then head across the Brecon Beacon national park which has some breathtaking views and then go through mid wales and then up the coast road to Bangor .. I can knock you up a route if you want.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Down the A5 would be your best bet. The valleys when you get past betws y coed way :wow:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Down the A5 would be your best bet. The valleys when you get past betws y coed way :wow:
The A5 goes directly to Bangor. Anglesey is literally just across the bridge (Menai on the A5, or Britannia on the A55), along with the obligatory stop to take a couple of photo's at Llanfair-blah-blah-blah-gogogh.

The valley on the A5 just past Betws is the Ogwen valley.

The A5 can be seen here running alongsdie the edge of the water.

Portmeirion is a surreal place, worth a visit to say you've been.

Was up in Snowdonia just a couple of weeks ago. Love the place, visit at least twice a year.

A

·
0 Posts
Was up in Snowdonia just a couple of weeks ago. Love the place, visit at least twice a year.

Funny you should say that - so was I! I stayed near Trwysfndd thingie (can never pronounce the name!) - you know near the nuclear power station!!!
Whether was a wee bit boo but hey ho. It's great for mountain biking at Coed -y- Brenin and excellent for walking up mountains like Cader Idris:).

·
Registered
809 Posts
Funny you should say that - so was I!

.....It's great for mountain biking at Coed -y- Brenin and excellent for walking up mountains like Cader Idris:).
Nice one. :thumbs:

Have a plan to walk Penygadair at some point, but am concentrating in the "Oggi" valley at the mo.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Llanfairpwllgwyngichgogeriwyndrobwillantysilyogogogoch station do a nice panad hey fluffy? HAHA ;-) go on be a devil :mad: x

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your suggestions - keep 'em coming!!! :D :thumbs:

Looks like the A5 might be a good bet for scenery. I might have to come home a different route, though, just to get in some of the other options you guys have suggested (maybe take up Jon's suggestion of going down through mid-Wales to the Brecon Beacons). :cool:

if you go to portmeirion give me a shout as my shop is only down the road there :) ill drive past you so you can have a welsh wave :)
I'll try :thumbs: , but I won't have internet access while I'm on holiday :rolleyes: .

Llanfairpwllgwyngichgogeriwyndrobwillantysilyogogogoch station do a nice panad hey fluffy? HAHA ;-) go on be a devil :mad: x
Was it just me, or did that post go whizzing straight over my head? :confused:

:p

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
GCSP - fancy a pop over the hills to gods county in Yorkshire. It would be great to see you guys again, as our guests :):thumbs:

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GCSP - fancy a pop over the hills to gods county in Yorkshire. It would be great to see you guys again, as our guests :):thumbs:

Kitty - thank you for the lovely offer. :)

It would be really great to see you again. I'll see if I can persuade Mrs.GC that a detour to Yorkshire would make the holiday purrfect ;)

Bear in mind, though, that as a soft southerner I tend to get a nose bleed if I spend too long north of Watford...... :p :lol:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Friday is good for me GC - am back from Ze Germans then :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
im out delivering furnature tomorrow conwy llangollen llangefni holyhead in a dfs truck
just not the as good in an iveco stuck at 56mph

1 - 18 of 18 Posts