Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Business takes me to this remote town in a few days time. I'll be driving in from Berkshire. Can anyone recommend a lovely driving route in? Looking to combine the lovely scenery with my lovely Alfa.

Cheers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've done this one - drive through Brecons Beacons on A40 after coming off the M4 and you can't go wrong (M4-A449-A483). I drove further onto Snowdonia, but that's another story. The drive upto Aberystwyth was nice enough. Highly recommended.
I usually drive through anything 'green' on the maps - and then take an unplanned turned somewhere that usually end up as memorable drives. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
The 'fastest' way (though no route is 'fast') from Berkshire will be M40/M6/M54 then A5/A548 to Welshpool, A483 to Newtown, A489/A470 to Llangurig, then A44 to Aber.

Once you get through Welshpool, the route is pleasant enough, but for a more scenic route (and certainly lengthier in time) is to use the A40/A44 through Evesham, Worcester, Leominster, Rhayader, then cut up to Llangurig on the A470. The scenery through the Welsh marches is really lovely, but the best bit is the A44 approaching Rhayader then up to Llangurig. Worth the pain of the longer journey time just to do that.

If you are feeling really adventurous, and want to experience something 'different', at Rhayader leave the A470 and turn left on the yellow B4518, then shortly take a turning right on the white road for the Afon Elan valley, which takes you to Cymystwyth and Devil's Bridge, then the A4120 which mirrors the A44 on the other side of the Rheidol valley. This is a truly spectacular route, single lane for most of the way on the white road, but with plenty of passing places and open views of the mountains and river valleys. Number of sheep = thousands, number of humans = zero.

Be careful where you stay in Aber. Lots of hotels and B&Bs, most of them grotty. Tripadvisor is a good indicator of where to stay.

Finally if the weather is bad don't even consider the Elan valley route - go the fastest way via the motorways and the route via Welshpool.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If you want something really entertaining, try the Abergwesyn Pass ( ends in Tregaron ). Mostly single track road so not fast.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/B...b11747f0a677085c!2m2!1d-3.934385!2d52.2199979

If there's been enough rain, the waterfall here is very picturesque -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2...4!1s7egmApsMnUqBb1MsZlHmxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In recent years I've driven the pass in the GTV, 156 and MiTo. I was part way over the pass in my first car following a rally and the brakes failed. That was fun :)

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
If you want something really entertaining, try the Abergwesyn Pass ( ends in Tregaron ). Mostly single track road so not fast.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/B...b11747f0a677085c!2m2!1d-3.934385!2d52.2199979

If there's been enough rain, the waterfall here is very picturesque -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2...4!1s7egmApsMnUqBb1MsZlHmxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I know that road, it is very picturesque. But it does entail a further detour to the south via Builth Wells, which I agree is really lovely. But at this rate the OP won't get to Aber in a day, unless he starts out really early!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live and work in the area depending on how much time you have I can also recommend the elan valley route.

I use to visit family in Farnborough and always used the route up from Swindon to Gloucester across to leominster then onto Crossgates.

After that Rhayader then choice is yours the route via Llangurig is very scenic and ok for progress.

The mountain road requires more patience but good fun.

If you have time head over mouthing road from Machynlleth to llanidloes nothing quite like it these roads are what top gear use when filming so should seem familiar

·
Registered
37,860 Posts
Many years ago a friend and I drove to Barmouth (North of Aber) from Shrewsbury. We left at 11:15pm, in two cars, and I didn't know where I was going so I had to stay with him. He knew this and decided on a 'spirited' drive. 65 minutes of tyre screeching later we were there. Great road :thumbs:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brilliant! Thanks one and all - knew they'd be some local knowledge out there :thumbup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, thanks to you kind people in here I had a stonking trip to Aberystwyth and back yesterday. Took the A40 and A44 mostly up, although had a slight detour via the outskirts of Hereford.

Then, coming back, I took the A4120 to Devils Bridge, and then the mountain road around the Elan Valley. And what a stunning drive it was too!

Next time, I'll probably go overnight and combine that route from Builth Wells across to Tregaron and then return via the Elan Valley.

I do Starship Enterprise mileage, and much of it on the M6, so this really was a treat for me.

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts