Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have their favourite driving routes in the North East?

With the nice weather last week got me thinking about taking the Alfa out for a nice drive in the sun stopping off at a nice pub on the way round!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Favourite road is the A686 from Haydon Bridge to Melmerby, incorporating the Hartside Pass. You have the Hartside Cafe at the top of the hill for a cuppa and a bacon butty or there's a decent pub at the bottom of the hill at Melmerby.

There's been a few AO North East runs over there, but the problem this time of year is that on weekends the whole route is highly populated by bikes (which restricts your own opportunities for spirited driving). If you have a spare weekday though it'll be a different story!

For a bit of variation coming back on this route it's also worth turning onto the A689 at Alston - along to Stanhope, then onto the B6278 up Crawleyside Bank. This takes you up close to Derwent Resevoir where you can get on to the A68 to head back to Northumberland. :)

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Favourite road is the A686 from Haydon Bridge to Melmerby, incorporating the Hartside Pass. You have the Hartside Cafe at the top of the hill for a cuppa and a bacon butty or there's a decent pub at the bottom of the hill at Melmerby.

There's been a few AO North East runs over there, but the problem this time of year is that on weekends the whole route is highly populated by bikes (which restricts your own opportunities for spirited driving). If you have a spare weekday though it'll be a different story!

For a bit of variation coming back on this route it's also worth turning onto the A689 at Alston - along to Stanhope, then onto the B6278 up Crawleyside Bank. This takes you up close to Derwent Resevoir where you can get on to the A68 to head back to Northumberland. :)
gil-147...... continue from Melmerby to Langwathby, turn left & head for Culgaith then onto the A66 heading for Brough, off @ Brough and take the road over the tops into Middleton in Teesdale. There is a couple of options from there but I usually go back to Alston. You probably already know this route but thought I would mention it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
gil-147...... continue from Melmerby to Langwathby, turn left & head for Culgaith then onto the A66 heading for Brough, off @ Brough and take the road over the tops into Middleton in Teesdale. There is a couple of options from there but I usually go back to Alston. You probably already know this route but thought I would mention it.:thumbs:
Nope, not been over that route before, looks interesting! I'll try and have a look over that way some time this summer, thanks! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sheepdip! Sounds bad but the drive is excellent mostly tiny roads, great views, not too busy and has an optional ford and ends up near Rievaulx Abbey so the wife is happy cos she can get out to stretch her legs and go to the tea rooms.

Head for Northallerton on A19 S/bound turn left in to Osmotherley, right at the T junction, then its a left at the next Junction and away you go! Well we like it anyway, the good bit is if you fancy a blast afterwards the road from Helmsley back to the Borough can be mint if not to many suicidal bikers around! :thumbs:

Not too sure about the pubs but the drive is a good one!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cheers, sounds a nice route, proberly will be a weekend unfortunately, well there is one good thing about the bikers....good organ doners!

Take it you have done this route a fee times also! Either that or you have a good memory, due to the fact you could name the B roads as well!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Cheers, sounds a nice route, proberly will be a weekend unfortunately, well there is one good thing about the bikers....good organ doners!

Take it you have done this route a fee times also! Either that or you have a good memory, due to the fact you could name the B roads as well!
Many, many times! Obviously hit this route for fun a fair few times, but also snowboard in this area in the winter, and used to work for a company with an office in Kendal and if time was on my hands i'd go/return this way (petrol paid for ;))! Good times :)!!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
The only way to slide down a mountain! ;) :D

I take it the 'ski' in Philski is not derived from an eastern block ancestry then?! :)
Not hard to work out!. Im glad there is somone out there that also has a passion for Snow sports. Did you get anywhere last season?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Not hard to work out!. Im glad there is somone out there that also has a passion for Snow sports. Did you get anywhere last season?
Didn't manage to get abroad this year but did make the most of the UK snow with several trips up to Weardale Ski Club, even pulling sicky's to go up when the white stuff was present!! ;) Did you manage any foreign snow this year?

I was a skiier for about 10 years, but since I tried first tried a board i've been enjoying it so much I just want to ride that whenever there's a chance to. :cool:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Didn't manage to get abroad this year but did make the most of the UK snow with several trips up to Weardale Ski Club, even pulling sicky's to go up when the white stuff was present!! ;) Did you manage any foreign snow this year?

I was a skiier for about 10 years, but since I tried first tried a board i've been enjoying it so much I just want to ride that whenever there's a chance to. :cool:
Got to Breckenridge last season. Spent a lot of seasons working in the alps in my younger days but I find the States more relaxed, well organised,powder & bumps to die for. For the sake of a few hours more on a plane and just a little more money its worth it. I have to admit I tried boarding but it did not like me! I ending up sitting on it and sledging down!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts