Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone clarify if it is ok to drive my other half's car on my own insurance. I am entitled to drive other cars on my policy with the owners permission but I have heard that they are clamping down on this and it is not a policy to be abused. I might use it once a week or share the driving with her on a long journey.

The reason I ask is that adding me to her policy for her MX5 pushes the price up by £250:eek::eek:

Cheers,
Jack

·
Premium Member
42,857 Posts
Direct Line automatically add your spouse onto the policy for no extra so i'm led to believe.

Aren't you only covered for 3rd party whilst driving her car?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes usually third party only unless otherwise stated.

The problem with doing this sort of thing nowadays is that if the cops do a random ANPR check and see that only a woman is insured to drive you're going to get pulled and will have all the hassle of explaining how you're covered to drive the car, even though you might be driving perfectly legally.

Plus of course if you write it off you're going to be a bit unpopular.:mad:

·
Vendor
45,991 Posts
Yes usually third party only unless otherwise stated.

The problem with doing this sort of thing nowadays is that if the cops do a random ANPR check and see that only a woman is insured to drive you're going to get pulled and will have all the hassle of explaining how you're covered to drive the car, even though you might be driving perfectly legally.

Plus of course if you write it off you're going to be a bit unpopular.:mad:
It won't flag anything up automatically though, it will just scan the numberplate and come up clean as taxed, MOT'd & insured, and the police will go about their merry way. If they were driving behind you and were suspicious of you, they could delve deeper and could see only a woman is insured to drive it, but its unlikely they would do this, and it is definitely not an automatic thing.

If it was, I'd be forever getting pulled over, I must drive 10+ different cars a week, all under my employer's insurance.

·
AO Traders
592 Posts
Hi all,

Can someone clarify if it is ok to drive my other half's car on my own insurance. I am entitled to drive other cars on my policy with the owners permission but I have heard that they are clamping down on this and it is not a policy to be abused. I might use it once a week or share the driving with her on a long journey.

The reason I ask is that adding me to her policy for her MX5 pushes the price up by £250:eek::eek:

Cheers,
Jack
Hi Jack
It's best to check the appropriate wording on your certificate which usually says as long as you have the Third Party Owners permission.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts