Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm off to Le Mans 24 Hours in June and am wondering if any of you out there have any advice on where to place black tape on the headlamps of a 166 for driving on the right. Is there a diagram anywhere on the internet? Couldn't find it on a quick flip through the manual... Also any other advice for driving over in France? Will be having a trip to halfords to make a dent in the credit card for a red triangle, spare bulbs etc.....

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'm not sure about using black tape but you can buy beam deflectors from motor stores and these will have fitting instructions. Note that some deflectors won't work with the 166 lamps and others result in a big loss of light, so look for something decent if you're going to be travelling any distance by night. Incidentally, Alfa's own solution to the problem is to provide headlamp protectors with beam deflectors fitted!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Have a look at the manual, if I remember right I've read something about changing the beam somehow without putting some ugly sticky stuff on your lights. It will be stolen as soon as you get to France anyway (based on experience).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Have a look at the manual, if I remember right I've read something about changing the beam somehow without putting some ugly sticky stuff on your lights
Unless it was a feaure of later cars, I don't think this is correct. It's not possible to change anything on the light itself or from inside the car on the '99 model. Alfa confirmed it when they said they simply supply beam deflectors on headlamp protectors, so that they can easily be added/removed, as needed.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have a look in the manual again. I wont be buying anything expensive as I'm doubtful I'll be doing any driving in the dark due to my ferry times and the fact it'll be summer.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think you'll find that the adjustments apply to the Xenon option only.
Mike
Yes, that might explain it. For normal lamps, from memory, the manual says something along the lines of 'consult your Alfa dealer'!

·
Registered
443 Posts
according to the xenon manual supplement (about the only bit of manual I DO have) it is posisble to change them for driving on the right. It explains how to do it and then says that it's for illustration only and that you should get a stealer to do it! This is a 2000 car btw.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I usually just stick some black tape on - Shows that an effort has been made! Just aim lights on a wall or garage door and stick where it deflects the beam best!

I have used this method the seven times I have driven to the south of france - No hassle or flashing from other drivers or the gendarmerie!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the xenon lights, and yes it does describe how to change the aim in the handbook, but you have to partially dismantle the light to get your finger in one of the bulb holes, then move a lever, i tried it before i went to France and after half an hour i decided it was impossible, so stuck black tape on. The aiming mechanism is delicate in these lights, when i bought my 20 month old ex lease car, both headlamps had been 'butchered' presumably by a dealer! I fixed one, but had to buy a new drivers side light, my advice if you have xenon lights is, don't touch. Use black tape.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
according to the xenon manual supplement (about the only bit of manual I DO have) it is posisble to change them for driving on the right. It explains how to do it and then says that it's for illustration only and that you should get a stealer to do it! This is a 2000 car btw.

Dead easy - if you have changed a side light you know the hard stuff.

Never let a dealer near the headlights - you will be told you need new ones, no matter what the problem is. FIAT don't offer xenons - I wonder if it is because they know the dealers are useless........there must be a demand on something as good as the grande punto, even the salesman said he is always being asked (looking at a gp as a 2nd car)

·
Registered
132 Posts
As my parents in-law are French we go quite often.

Quite honestly I never bother - besides you know what Alfa headlights are like - who are you going dazzle ?? :)
Plus, you need all the light you can get !

If you want to put tape anywhere, I suggest the bumpers !!

Take spare bulbs for dipped and rear as a minimum. It is obligatory to carry spares and in theory you could be asked to show them - but I never was in the 15 years I lived there.

Triangles are not obligatory for cars that have hazard warning lights.

As you can get to Le Mans all the way by autoroute these days, I doubt that you'll have any issues if you go that way.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses guys. Like I posted earlier, I believe I will be doing all my driving in the day light anyway, but just to be on the safe side I will be taping them - enough to deflect the beam but hopefully not enough to kill my night vision! I will be going to Halfords for a set of spare bulbs and will pick up other things if they are cheap enough.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Cluffstar,

When you going, I'm taking the brera this year camping on Houx Annex?

Simes.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, Arriving on the Friday but am camping in Beau Sejour (sp??) just near the entrance / exit of the circuit - not gunna get much sleep but atleast I got a pitch - have some friends going that have race tickets but couldn't get a pitch! Looks like they'll be getting cosy in the back of his golf!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hi, Arriving on the Friday but am camping in Beau Sejour (sp??) just near the entrance / exit of the circuit - not gunna get much sleep but atleast I got a pitch - have some friends going that have race tickets but couldn't get a pitch! Looks like they'll be getting cosy in the back of his golf!

I knwo a few people who had been in the same position in previous years - not something I'd enjoy - knowing this we booked with one of the organisations that sell the packages and co-ordinate tickets and campsites.

I'm takign the chunnel over on the thursday lunchtime and back Monday lunchtime the ferry times were just too constricting for us.

I'm starting to get quite excited about the whole thing - shame alfa won't be there especially with the rumoured visit with 8c's next year....

Mebbe see you there ;-)

Simes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts