Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe it. Because they have introduced a stupid mickey mouse driving licence mine has apparently run nearly ten years.

So, on top of the time and cost to go and get a new passport photo there is the time and cost of sending it recorded delivery and they have the temerity to charge me £20 for the privilege! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This, just a few days after I have been stiffed £77 or so to renew my passport.

Thank goodness we have seen the back of the identity card :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for reminding me, mine's running out in December after 8 years.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Good reminder there - the onus is on you to remember to renew every ten years (they don't send out reminders to you). Another money grabbing scam because if forget you're then stung with a nasty fine.

Do you think we could impose a fine for lost cards or laetness of return or any other pathetic excuse they might use for non delivery? Like b....ks could we.

Is there no end to the penny pinching in this country :confused:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We seemed to muddle on for all those years with a simple paper licence, a simple passport and no ID card.

Don't know how we managed it.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Its just another way of taking our money and keeping track of us. And you can guarantee that the money we put in for these licences does not go back to motorist in the form of road tax reduction or perhaps filling in some of the bl**dy pot holes near my girlfriends house! Or if they bought me a duck house or let claim for a second house that would be much better. One rule for them and another for poor old jonny motorist. GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We're being forced to renew our old paper ones to credit card ones with a microchip every time someone gets stopped for stupid driving.Just like the new ID cards and biometric passports here.
We're told nothing will be stored on them - then why have them ? -
Can't wait for the cops to be equipped with little electric boxes to stick them through and record every single little piece of C**p they come up with to give us fines here.
And when they start printing out the history .... !!!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
A word of caution, when you get your new licence make a point checking your catagories that you are licenced for, especialy motorcycle catagories.
There have been numerous case's reported in Motor Cycle News regarding people replacing their old licence and it being returned without the Bike entitlement on them.
When queried with DVLA they get a straight "Our system is never wrong" and are told to retake their test, several prominant people have been caught out with this including Limbet Opik (Lib Dem MP ) a WSB rider and motorcycle cop's.
It seem's that no matter how much proof you have they wont give in.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
After mine was stolen, I went to the DVLA to garner a replacement.

I couldn't do it online as the computer disagreed with where I lived, even though I'd been issued with a licence and digital tachograph card with the same address on.

So, off I popped to the DVLA office in Manchester, where you have to queue up three times to get anything done.

1. Queue up to be checked in. In my case to ask for a replacement driving licence form. This is the longest queue as people who want to tax cars are in it, despite it either i. not being registered in their name or ii. not having valid insurance for it. A chap was arguing for 15 mins that the car was insured, because the guy he;d bought it off had it insured.....

2. Queue at the form checking desk, here a man helps you to make sure you have filled everything out properly and have the correct documents.

3. Queue (in a chair) with your 'cashier now serving number 248 ticket'. Paid my £20, got the forms stamped up and was told my licence would be here in about 3 weeks.

One week later, the form is returned from Swansea as I had not provided them with proof of ID. £20 credit note (to spend in the DVLA shop perhaps) sent too.
Off to the DVLA office in Manchester again, this time went straight to form check man to find out WTF had gone on. After much sitting and waiting discovered that they had no record of me i. ever having a licence and ii. can't therefore understand why I have a licence number? So, had to get some photos done (at Stretford Arndale as they don't have such a facility, my gym and local cinema do), return then send of the forms and my only legal form of ID (birth certificate) off to Swansea for another official to check.

Why bother having a local office if you have to send everything off to Swansea to check or OK it, it might as well be a Post Office.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
After mine was stolen, I went to the DVLA to garner a replacement.
Nice use of the word "garner" there, milowokie. :thumbs:

As for the DVLA, I must be the only driver in the country not to have a bad word to say about them. :wow:

Licence renewals? No problem. Replacement licence? Again, no problem. Even switching from a paper licence to the photocard version was handled efficiently. Loathed as I am to admit it, even adding points to my licence was handled well. Too well, in fact - could they not have "forgotten" a few? ;)

If I was really pressed for a complaint, I might have a little moan about how long it takes them to send through a new V5 (log book) once you've bought a car. Three to four weeks is a fair old time to be tooling about with a little slip of green paper as the only proof you own the car! But, like I say, a minor gripe.

S

·
0 Posts
I remember the day the bouncer in Scotland said my licence was fake (my ID in my younger days) as it had a slightly different font to the DVLA licences. :rant:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts