Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, a eventful evening driving home from work, cruising along the motorway and thud! Not sure if I have hit something, Debye? as that's what it felt like under the car however I certainly didn't see anything so rather odd. The road surface is also very poor in places on the m1, they are working on it again so maybe I hit a pot hole i don't really know.

As I get closer to home the spider starts to pull to one side when braking and gets worse, coming into my village it now feels like I'm driving on ice so I drive very very slowly and carefully the rest of the way home, thankfully I'm not at the end of my journey, there was a thudding noise too and I thought maybe a cv joint had gone.

But i must say I very very surprised when I jacked up the car tonight to see the wishbone had snapped at the front! Looking at the wishbone I'm thinking maybe it just snapped, anyway thought I would share has anyone else had one of these fail?

View attachment 801329

View attachment 801337

View attachment 801345

Playing around in the dark removing the wishbone now, I have a spare wishbone in the garage but of course.... it's the the other lol!

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First time I have had one snap on me in 11 years of owning 916s.

I'm would assume its after market if it's has failed however I'm really not sure if I hit a pot hole or maybe something in the road.

Anyone got a spare punch bolt, Or know where I can buy one?

·
Registered
981 Posts
... Oh great.
I bought some cheap wishbone and they havent done a 1000 miles and have started to knock so now ive seen this i might get the bus tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep I was in the middle of whipping the wishbone out and thought I gotta get a pic of this.

Harry I had no knocking prior to that large thud and then I had the knocking and skating on ice feeling. I couldn't tell you how old the wishbones where to be fair. I go down the e b spares wishbone or german and normally fine. I can't honestly say if it's a manufacture fault or something struck the underside of the car.

It's not something j have seen or come across so thought I would share

·
Registered
359 Posts
Alfa Workshop and Alfaholics (https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/gtv-spider/suspension-3/) also do the pinch bolt, Alfa will do them as well.

Just bought a set of TRW wishbones for mine and they aren't the same so guess these are one of the other aftermarket makes. I had a Fiat Coupe (exactly the same wishbones) for 10 years before the Spider and didn't ever hear a report of one of these catastrophically failing like this.

If it was me I'd change both wishbones for a known product, I'd also personally change the securing bolts for new as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just a thought - it may not be the wish bone's fault that it failed could be the way it was fitted. You would be amazed what a gorilla, some air tools and a crowbar can manage to do to a car!

Gazza

1 - 9 of 9 Posts