Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
...on open A roads.

Why?

Can't we fine the slipper wearing fuddle wits? :furious:
Because there is no minimum speed limit. If there was in rural areas no farmer would be able to get to his fields. How I envy the French system of access roads for farm traffic separate from the public road.

There again there is "driving without consideration for other road users" but that requires the presence of a real life policeman to make a judgement rather than just installing a robot camera.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am presently in discussion with Lincolnshire police regarding a doddery old [email protected] who pulled out of a side road onto an unrestricted "A" road directly in my path and then took about 3 hours to get to a decent speed.

I had to brake as he entered the road, I sounded my horn and then had to brake when he brake checked me.

Lincolnshire police have proven very helpful.....not.

My anticipation and fabulous driving skills prevented an accident :lol: and Mrs V's colourful language, which you very rarely hear took the edge off the incident.

I pizzed myself.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Tell me about!

My drive to work was ten miles through the Peak District; when the holidays started it could take ten minutes longer to get home. On the positive side, I think it's made me a more considerate driver when I'm on holiday - I appreciate that others have jobs to do, places to go.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have recently retired and I have discovered this "phenomenon" now that I drive more during the day. People (yes, usually old) who drive at 40 mph. Whatever the speed limit. 60 limit: 40 mph; 20 limit: 40 mph. Their situational awareness is often not great either.

Mind you, it's dead comfy to drive in slippers ;)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
People wearing slippers outside the perimeter of their home should be rounded up and re-educated.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
36,778 Posts
I don't but I was at a speed awareness course yesterday where a couple of people could have been comfortable driving in slippers.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I used to work with an old lad nearing retirement in the early '90s who was tolerated in an office job as a custody assistant, he wore suede moccasins:eek:

Bearing in mind that the people around him were expected to wear full PPE including stab vests, Magnum boots and Kevlar gloves.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Here in Devon it's super bad - so many old people who basically are sh*t scared of driving but they have to because there's no public transport. So they just drive at 40 everywhere and brake for every bend and for every oncoming lorry even when it's on the other side of the road.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
...on open A roads.

Why?

Can't we fine the slipper wearing fuddle wits? :furious:
Have a look in the footwell of your vehicle. On the right hand (foot) side, there is a pedal.

Push it with your foot and you will find that it will assist you in manouvering around said fuddle wit!

Job done! Hth :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,681 Posts
The same people are even worse when you are driving on a scenic piece of road.

Speed varies up and down between 20mph and 40mph (usually slower in the hardest to overtake places) and they are liable to slam the anchors on and pull over without indication or any other warning.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,535 Posts
40 in a 60.

It does get on your t1ts. OK, they don't want to drive at 60. I get that. But what about 50? Why can't they do at least 50? 40 causes frustration and is probably going to result in someone behind risking a dodgy overtake (although that's the overtaker's bad, not the 40mph driver's, but still one can lead to the other...)

40 in a 60 because you're a nervous driver? OK, i get that too; not everyone is confident behind the wheel...so maybe pull over if you can and let the queue pass. I'd rather have the speeders ahead of me and nothing behind. Much less stress for all then.

driving and thinking? It'll never take off. :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts