Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Remembered from my father...
Never overtake approaching a bridge (obviously single lane each way).
Don’t believe their blinkers (indicators).
Be patient.
Always check your blind spot before changing lanes.
If you can’t stop in the distance you can clearly see the road ahead you’re driving too fast.

What an excellent thread this is!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,546 Posts
On signalling, my car driving instructor said:

Just remember, a signal is a declaration of intent, not a confirmation of action.

He also pointed out that your signals are there to inform other road users - which includes pedestrians.
Maybe that should be added as a reminder to the dashboard of certain makes of car.

Reactions: Dave Brand

·
Registered
38,685 Posts
Maybe that should be added as a reminder to the dashboard of certain makes of car.

There must be a lot of people around who aspire to drive Audi and BMW's as lack of indication no longer seems to be marque specific.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
My dad's advice to me, my brother and my sister was always to pass our driving tests on the day of our 17th birthdays. He said he was more likely to sleep knowing we were the driver of a car full of 17 year olds than a passenger in a car driven by any of our 17 year old friends.

I take the same approach with my kids. I want them to be in the driving seat not the passenger seat of a testosterone filled 17 year old!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Disturbing but my instructor said to me very early on a car is potentially more dangerous than a gun.

Many years later I think they might have a point...

·
Registered
387 Posts
This from my father.... Try not to be impatient with slow drivers; they have every right to drive at whatever speed they wish to. Remember also that you have every right to overtake them.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This from my father.... Try not to be impatient with slow drivers; they have every right to drive at whatever speed they wish to. Remember also that you have every right to overtake them.
Yep, wise words. And that can be applied to learner drivers, too. We were all there once :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
The decision not to overtake is never wrong

Flash of mainbeam only means "I am here"

Make eye contact with other drivers

Don't believe the indicators on Audis and BMWs until there is secondary confirmation

Check the memory card in the dashcam regularly and don't buy cheap ones

·
Registered
4 Posts
One that I don't hear much - if you are being tailgated, increase following distance from the car in front so that if he brakes suddenly, you can come to a stop much more gradually (which will stop the oaf behind you from running into you).

If you want to irritate the tailgater instead, using your front windscreen washers will throw water onto their windscreen. Doesn't achieve anything, really, but it can be amusing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
One that I don't hear much - if you are being tailgated, increase following distance from the car in front so that if he brakes suddenly, you can come to a stop much more gradually (which will stop the oaf behind you from running into you).

If you want to irritate the tailgater instead, using your front windscreen washers will throw water onto their windscreen. Doesn't achieve anything, really, but it can be amusing.
Especially when the oaf concerned is in an Audi TT convertable with the roof down :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yep, wise words. And that can be applied to learner drivers, too. We were all there once :)
Very true, but I think he meant it from the perspective that in modern times it's often frowned upon to overtake unless on a dual carriageway. I.E. - don't be cross with the slow(er) driver, just pass them when safe to do so.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Very true, but I think he meant it from the perspective that in modern times it's often frowned upon to overtake unless on a dual carriageway. I.E. - don't be cross with the slow(er) driver, just pass them when safe to do so.
It does seem to upset people... I know the roads near me and when I'm in the Busso and there's nothing coming the other way I'll often overtake. I'll never try if there's something coming the other way and I'll usually not pass tasty looking cars in case the driver is an idiot and wants to try getting you killed by speeding up.

I also don't really understand vans and meh cars that try and overtake...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I also don't really understand vans and meh cars that try and overtake...
My daughter learned to drive in a succession of karts, then in a car on a trading estate, so was pretty proficient by the time she had lessons with me on the local suburban roads. I'd known these roads for thirty years and never, but never, overtook on them. At least four times, white vans passed us because of our L plates...

·
Registered
38,685 Posts
If you are being tailgated increasing the distance between yourself and the car in front often encourages the tailgaiter to overtake you.

Especially if they think that you are going slightly slower than the car in front of you.

Driving certain cars does certainly increase your chances of having someone trying to "Bully" you along. I remember driving my brothers Totota Aygo, and no matter how you drove you would always end up with another car right up your chuff.

·
Administrator
46,718 Posts
If you are being tailgated increasing the distance between yourself and the car in front often encourages the tailgaiter to overtake you.
Not really a bad outcome. Easier to keep an eye on them there, and slightly less chance of their driving causing an accident which you're involved in.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Driving certain cars does certainly increase your chances of having someone trying to "Bully" you along. I remember driving my brothers Totota Aygo, and no matter how you drove you would always end up with another car right up your chuff.
I've definitely noticed this over the years. Driving supermini cars and especially that horrid Diahatsu Charade got tailgaters everywhere. People tend not to tailgate my 156, although the odd Audi and BMW still does...

I learnt tailgating was bad from a WW1 flight sim as a kid, if you shot the enemy plane and you were too close the debris would fly off and take you out too :LOL:

·
Registered
38,685 Posts
Not really a bad outcome. Easier to keep an eye on them there, and slightly less chance of their driving causing an accident which you're involved in.
As long as they overtake you safely, a lot of the time such idiots overtake in dodgy places.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts