Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...other drivers get distracted! :)

I had my first "long trip" with my Giulia last weekend, apart of the insane fuel economy at an average speed of 65 mph...there were many cars slowing down while overtaking and looking at my beautiful red Giulia :)

My dashcam captured this biker, he spent few seconds looking at the front of the car, quite dangerous!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had an Audi TT with a couple young lads crossing several lines just to come up at the rear and both sides just to take a glance at my Giulia before passing on the left lane and disappearing at the speed of light :biglaugh: :byebye:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an Audi TT with a couple young lads crossing several lines just to come up at the rear and both sides just to take a glance at my Giulia before passing on the left lane and disappearing at the speed of light :biglaugh: :byebye:
well...I also had a Golf (no idea what engine but Diesel for sure) trying to do that. Unfortunately I had the impression he was racing me other than taking a glance.

He disappeared (from my mirrors) in a cloud of black smoke, I guess his car was on fire while I was just using 1/4 of the throttle...after few seconds I slowed down to leave the motorway and there you go, the guy is back with is black smoke and engine at full rev. :vs_snail:

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

I had my first "long trip" with my Giulia last weekend, apart of the insane fuel economy at an average speed of 65 mph...there were many cars slowing down while overtaking and looking at my beautiful red Giulia :)

My dashcam captured this biker, he spent few seconds looking at the front of the car, quite dangerous!
He might also have wondered why you hadnt moved over to the next clear nearside lane though!:vs_laugh:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not sure if this counts, as I was stationary but just tonight at the petrol station a group of lads in a van rocked up. One of them said how different it looks from anything else on the road which was nice, followed by other lad commenting that he thought it was a Beamer at first (erghh!). Still nice feeling being noticed.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've experienced good and bad with this.

My Q seems to generate a lot of love (a pleasant change after driving an M5 and a 911GTS for the last 6 years!) and I get a lot of appreciative looks, smiles and nods. For eg, on my way to the Q Millbrook event on Saturday, I had a young guy in a black Golf diesel pull up alongside me in the middle lane of the M1, give me a thumbs up and then video my car on his phone. He got most angles over the next 2 minutes or so, to the extent that I was worried he wasn't concentrating on where he was going.

But I've also had a disproportionate number of young guys in hot (and even only mildy tepid) hatches cutting me up and wanting to race. I didn't get this in the 911 and certainly not in the M5, so I have to say I'm finding it mildly irritating. I've dispatched a few, adopting a policy of shock and awe or occasionally, of total humiliation, but for the most part I can't be bothered or have got Mrs Hamfisti in the car and can't be arsed with the earful I'd get.

Anyone else noticed this at all, or is it just the 'Fast and Furious' brigade local to me?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My Q seems to generate a lot of love (a pleasant change after driving an M5 and a 911GTS for the last 6 years!) and I get a lot of appreciative looks, smiles and nods. For eg, on my way to the Q Millbrook event on Saturday, I had a young guy in a black Golf diesel pull up alongside me in the middle lane of the M1, give me a thumbs up and then video my car on his phone. He got most angles over the next 2 minutes or so, to the extent that I was worried he wasn't concentrating on where he was going.

But I've also had a disproportionate number of young guys in hot (and even only mildy tepid) hatches cutting me up and wanting to race. I didn't get this in the 911 and certainly not in the M5, so I have to say I'm finding it mildly irritating. I've dispatched a few, adopting a policy of shock and awe or occasionally, of total humiliation, but for the most part I can't be bothered or have got Mrs Hamfisti in the car and can't be arsed with the earful I'd get.

Anyone else noticed this at all, or is it just the 'Fast and Furious' brigade local to me?
I don't have a QV but I think kids do not know the difference, since on the back there is only the "Giulia" badge. I got a couple of "GOLFisti", one describe above almost burning his car in order to stay behind.
I try to stay out of these people, or I just make fun of them. I guess the best way is to ignore, I found it ****ed them more than just "losing" the challenge, while there is no winning if you accept to race, just danger and pointless risk for yourself, your family or other people. No worth.

My best approach at the traffic light is to pretend I accept the race, showing that I'm ready for the green light (revving a bit and slightly moving the car forward ahaha) but then.....go super slow and watch them disappearing from my sight, with a big smile on my face. :driving:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

I have had similar experiences usually BMW's not liking being overtaken (at legal speeds). We have nothing to prove. However I had one annoying chap in a Citroen DS3 who was really right up my jacksy. At a clearway sign I booted it from 30 (you all know how quickly it can get to beyond the national speed limit - however my wife was in the car and classically said "I don't want to be travelling at this speed suffice it to say the Citroen did not pass by the time I slowed for my own village. My wife came with me to the first Millbrook session and after the drive said to Nass - He cannot have one they are just too fast...Still the new speeding fines will no doubt temper all our driving and only on track will we realise the awesomeness of the Qf.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Had a great moment last weekend.
Four of us in the Quadrifoglio. Me and 11 year old son in front, wife and 8 year old daughter in the back. Stopped to pick up some food so parked in the car park and let wife and daughter go off to get food. While we were sat in the car a guy in a 16 reg Land Rover Discovery parked next to us, got out and went off shopping. He got back at the same time wife and daughter got back. He turned to my daughter and said "Your Dad's family car is awesome. I'm very jealous" then got in his car and drove off. She was over the moon (and so was the rest of the family!).

·
Registered
41 Posts

I had the proper F&F experience courtesy of a clearly NOS'd old school GTR. Pulled up in outside lane of A31 with a 3-2-1 and off (and I'm not insane enough to respond) but though he disappeared over the horizon initially I passed him in a blue smoke cloud in the next lay-by.

·
Registered
12 Posts

thats very true. in America where people rarely see even know what this is. always trying to stay away from the crowd but some people always follow, pass and nod :wobble:

·
Registered
51 Posts
my sister spotting that a local valet company had took a pic of my speciale and put it on his facebook page, saying how good it looked... he thought it was a QV , I corrected him on his post...he seemed like a really nice lad..
I also when for food the other day and was eating outside... my speciale was parked near the entrance and almost everybody stopped and looked and mentioned to each other how nice it was etc... they obviously didn't know it was mine... ha great crack .. never had this with my merc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts