Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 156 has developed a clicking noise that runs in time with the wheels. Sounds more like a zip tie snagging on something. But i cant for the life of me find the bloomin thing. Is no worse or better if im steering leftor right and doesnt only appear when accelerating so i dont think its the shaft. I tried full lock and moved it about but if anything the noise isnt there then. Im completely foxed. When the wheel is up in the air there is no noise. Its coming from the front left. Any thoughts would be great as im stumped at the mo.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
This maybe a stupid reply but could their be something in the tyre?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Thought of that. Checked the tread. :( Good try :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't see anything. I've just done the cv boot as it split last week. It tore in half on my way home from work and ate the brake pad low warning wire. I kbow it was fine at work as i was under the car. When i got home it was in that state. Replaced an repaired but the noise is now there. Dont think it was there when i did the boot on friday. Maybe the cv joint is damaged? :( bur it just doesnt quite make that sort of click noise. Plus its not worse when on full lock

·
Registered
468 Posts
Might seem odd, but remove the wheel and rotate the brake disc, if there's still noise, it should be easier to pinpoint. It's possible that the brake disc shield is coming into contact with the disc. I've seen the same circumstances on a fiat stilo i've repaired and turned out the disc shield was heavily corroded and rubbed on the disc when cornering. Could be the same thing depending on how bad yours is (if it is that).

May also be a loose wheel balancing weight smacking the brake caliper if it's placed on the inner width of the alloy, that'll give you a click.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Worth a try. I'll do that tomorrow and report back :) it dd cross my mind and i did pole my fingers around there. But just assumed not as you usually get that scretch from the metal on the disc.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drove to work this morning. No noise!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah but I'm not that lucky. I assume it will rear its slightly annoying head again :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So last night on the way home the noise is there again. But then this morning its gone again? WTF

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
i'm gonna throw a mad one in now. could it be from the BACK left?

I ask that one, because when my rear wheel bearing went it sounded for all the world like a front-based noise.

Straw-clutching at best though, I'm afraid! :(

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I span the back wheel too bur no sound. I thought this but if you drive next to a large vehicle so the sound reflects off the other car the noise is loudest when the front wheel is next to it and not the back wheel. If that makes any sense

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hmm. it's a tricky one isn't it!

Might be worth having a look behind the brake disc (ie taking it off). Bits of corrosion can float around in there so maybe something is knocking around and occasionally rubbing on disc / hub / abs sensor?

again, total guess!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i'll be having a proper look this afternoon

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So last night I took the wheel off. Inspected the caliper. Put the suspension on axle stands and let the car sit as it would on the road. rotated the driveshaft. Cleaned all the disc rust off the edge with a screw diver, pulled the shield away from the disc. Nothing fouls. nothing is caught. When rotated nothing clicks of makes any noise at all. Did teh same with the rear. reassembled and went down the road to test. click click click :wall: This morning drove to work in total silence again! Am I going mad:nutter:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
you'll be getting there if it keeps doing it, yes!! Blummin' cars eh!

If you were anywhere near Derbyshire I'd say bring it over and add an extra pair of ears and eyes to the inspection. 'course even if you were it'd be quiet as a mouse for the duration!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you'll be getting there if it keeps doing it, yes!! Blummin' cars eh!

If you were anywhere near Derbyshire I'd say bring it over and add an extra pair of ears and eyes to the inspection. 'course even if you were it'd be quiet as a mouse for the duration!
Cheers dave!:thumbs: would you expect anything less from the alfa though!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts