Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a faulty parking light and it kept warning me of bulb failure so I had to take the bumper off to remove the light to get at the bulb. After I put in the new bulb, which had an offset bayonet clip, my Xenon failed to start. It came on for a while and now refuses to come back on.

The problem is, the bulb was for Fiat model but did not really fit as the bayonet was even more off-set than my old bulb. Now my question is, could this be the new bulbs fault? There is no ignitor noise or anything at the moment.

Any tips on how I can check faulty ignitor?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Changing a sidelight bulb (H6W Halogen, generic bulb, not unique to Fiat at all) shouldn't effect the HID unit.

You can swap the HID bulbs from one side to the other to test, but the HID ballast units are different, so can't swap.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it makes an electric hissing sound when I try to ignite bsssssssssssstt

how do I check the ballasts?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Have you double checked all the connections you disturbed taking the headlight out...?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed I did, it had one large trunk connection going to the light which secures by pressing it down and back, all secure. The bulb I changed was longer than the original though and they told me it doesn't matter they probably put the shorter one in when they serviced the car. I put jiuce on and wiggled all cables gently but no change. I will swap the actual Xenons tonight to see if it will work. I did however take off the high voltage cable going to the bulb directly, but it is just a small bayonet again so I don't see how that affected anything.

Strange to me is only that it did come back on for a short while and I never had any Xenon problems before like on/off, dimming, like it is about to go, nothing, only after the stupid small parking light did it happen. I suppose ballast I'd have to check resistance? How many Ohms?

Lots of condensation inside though, but now its dry and still not working.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it's possible that the condensation is the cause of your problem. This happened to me a few months ago. Water gets inside the headlamp unit from the back (over zealous jet wash is often the cause) and drips down onto the ballast control unit and eventually destroys it. Only cure is a replacement headlamp unit. £1000 new or around £500 used if you can find one. There is one on ebay at the moment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fIRST MY TYRE, THEN MY RIM...NOW MY HEADLAMP :(

And don't say "natural selection" that's just mean

I will take it apart tonight and post some pics if I find the cause

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
If it is a water ingress problem you only need to replace the ballast, not the whole lamp, you will find the number on the ballast, starts 1307, then google the number. Hopefully thats your issue, they are not as dear as a lamp, somewhere between 80 and 150.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts