Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have had my Giulietta 1.6D Lusso for a few months now I love it, although despite looking at every adjustment, I am getting back pain, mainly through the shoulder blades.

The lack of lumber support plus the curvature of the upper section is causing my shoulders to be pushed forward. There is no mechanical adjustment of the seat so I am looking to find coach trimmer that would be able to alter the foam, a bespoke fitting if you will, to help me alter the seat to a more natural position.

I have looked online but drew a blank, and wondered if anyone in the Derbyshire or East Midlands area had any experience of bespoke seat alterations or knew of a recommended coach trimmer and be able to point me in the right direction to finding someone to assist me.

Grateful in anticipation,

Lawl

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I had initially thought the seat angle might be a factor. I have tried every position possible over the months and it's evident that the shoulders being pushed forward by the upper seat angle that sits bang along the shoulder line, not helped by lack of support in the lumber area, both I think are factors.

Never had a issue in other cars and my local Alfa dealer suggested a coach trimmer. Fingers crossed that might help. Looking at the seat, the seat back is concave more than I'm used to, and lumber is rather flat rather than convex, so I'm sure a little foam adjustment will help, I just need to find a coach trimmer with some experience of this sort of thing.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I can tell you how I learned to setup my seats. As you could imagine, not all coaches and busses are ergonomically designed and if they're the older manuals they have a very heavy and very far travelling clutch pedal. Not getting the seat set up correctly is setting yourself up for pain within minutes. Also, remove your wallet at all times if you normally keep it in your backpocket.

I can also give you a tip for more lumbar support in the giulietta, if you'd like?

The pedal positions are fixed, so it's imperative that you set the seat height and range according to these. Pain on the back of your thighs? seat too low. The seat is only too high if you can't push the pedals down.

If you got long legs, the seat might be further back, so pull the steering wheel out. Not much steering wheel travel in the G, so start with the steering all the way out. the height you have to set such that you can see the pertinent information through the wheel.

Then set the reclination so that your back and shoulders are supported, they must touch the seat at all times.

If you want more lumbar support, undo the zippers at the back. You'll see the lubar sumpport there, it's a black plastic piece held under tension by a metal cable. For more support put one or more of the things in the image (or anything similar) on it to bend it slightly.

http://www.mennensbelgium.be/ProductTypeFiles/Henssgen_04_913631_groep4.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shall play around with seat position again. I have only short legs, 30/31 inch inside leg in jeans ?. I do notice the seat is a little short than in used to. Steering wheel is out fully extended and height is as high as I can go without hiding the dials. The angle I shall adjust again to see if I can find a better position. I'm not keen to open up the mechanics of the seat as I'd rather leave that to soneone who knows what they are doing. But thanks anyway a fit your thoughts.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few days of working through various adjustments, I think I have found two small but relative issues. The left hand seat area is less supportive to the right, resulting in my left hip being lower than my right with me twisting at the hip, which means the back is struggling to sit straight. And, the lumber area is flat, unlike the passenger side which is virtually unused, and had the slight curve at the lumber area, the way the seat was originally produced.

I am pretty sure now that I need to replace or amend the seating and back foam, so anyone reading this know of a vehicle trimmer they could recommend in the Derbyshire area, that would be really helpful, cheers

Lawl

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with Mazor you could try the QV seats at your local dealer, we have them fitted as standard in our 1.4 170tct i find them very comforable.
Probably be cheaper and less hassle than getting something made / adjusted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still trying to get to the back of my seat issue, I run a plum line from the head rest and the passenger seat is virtually 50/50, but the drivers seat, that is more 65/35, with there appearing to be a need for the seat to be turned so inwards so that the its central.

It may explain why I never feel I am sitting straight. I wonder if this makes sense to others and if the seat can be pivoted slightly to balance the left and right sides to be straight on with the steering and windscreen.

When I sit perfectly straight in the seat, which takes some effort, my left shoulder overhangs the left bolster by a good 4 inches and my right shoulder sits within the right bolster. Hope that makes sense and that it is an easy adjustment.

Cheers for anyones thoughts

·
Registered
224 Posts
hmm sounds like the drivers seat maybe faulty or damaged. The only way to tell would be to remove the sea covers and cushions to see what is happening in the support structure of the seat?

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
Sounds like it was acquired used? There are metal supports welded to the frame on most seats which support the foams. The previous owner may have distorted these parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it was purchased just over 6 months ago at 2 years of age. Never got comfortable and was convinced it was lack of lumber support but I began to realise I wasn't sitting straight on and had much more support to the right hand side and much less support to the left, yet it looked ok visually. Rotten back but mainly shoulder pain, my left shoulder was just so unsupported.

Got a lightbulb moment and dropped a plumb line and the passenger seat was spot on but drivers side way out, it was like looking at wallpaper put up without using a line, it looks straight until you use a spirit level or plumb line then it immediately becomes noticeable it's out.

I'm going to ring my local Alfa main dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to plan A, just replumbed the seat making sure car was dead flat on the road and it's lining up pretty good.

Having said that, when sat straight on, my right shoulder is bang on tucked into the upper support but my left shoulder is hanging over by a good margin. Maybe it is simply a padding issue. I'm going to see a coach fitter next Friday to see what he thinks and ringing the main Alfa dealer tomorrow just to take a look. It's strange but when I sit in the passenger seat, I sit dead centre and both shoulders are equally supported.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good luck, hope you get this issue resolved :). Nothing worst than an uncomfortable seat, ruins the whole driving experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys, I wonder what you think of this.

The seat looks fine it when sitting in it, I feel the left hand side is unsupported.

I made a square frame and made sure it was t squared.

When applying pressure to the seat, the right side more or less stays put but the left side moves considerably. I'm wondering if the foam or I even if the frame might be the issue..

Attachments

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
I'd be interested to see the same exercise applied to a BMW One series. You sit pointing slightly towards the centre of the car to allow for the rear drive layout. Apparently there's a new Giulia based Giulietta expected in the future which will be Rwd too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts