Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this morning I went to get in the car & door wouldn't open, at first I thought door was just frozen shut, but appears not the case, all other doors opened fine. Handle pulls like normal just doesn't feel like it's engaging properly. It was only -3 & feels like another poor quality item from alfa. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As of this morning I went to get in the car & door wouldn't open, at first I thought door was just frozen shut, but appears not the case, all other doors opened fine. Handle pulls like normal just doesn't feel like it's engaging properly. It was only -3 & feels like another poor quality item from alfa. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
The door opens from the inside by the way

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I have already did this.
My door was not possible to open from inside. Outside was OK.
So I have to lift window down and move my hand outside to pull handle.
Guilietta is rubbish produced car in fact.
Broken plastic holder which moves cable to open the door is integrated part of the door trim.
So I have to replace compete trim in fact. I have succeeded to reinforce holder but I think it is come up again soon.
Please also bear in mind issue I have been surprised for.
Inner aluminium noise plate is riveted ( not bolted ). It does not concern door lock my case, but if one need to replace window lift mechanism it is hell of a lot job to be done.
:furious:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
rivets are easy to remove, easier than rusted bolts by an order of magnitude (or 3)

all you need is a drill,a punch and a hammer, takes about 15 seconds per rivet. drill the rivet so the head comes lose, put the punch on the remaining bit and tap with the hammer.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
rivets are easy to remove, easier than rusted bolts by an order of magnitude (or 3)

all you need is a drill,a punch and a hammer, takes about 15 seconds per rivet. drill the rivet so the head comes lose, put the punch on the remaining bit and tap with the hammer.
Never seen rusted bolts behind inner door trim.
Good clean after rivets extraction would be needed to avoid derbis plays inside like a kid toy.
Put it back with new set of rivets.
I do not like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here

Exactly the same happened to me this morning - it was about -1 here in Liverpool. I left it for a few hours and have just tried it and it seems to have fixed itself !!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Exactly the same happened to me this morning - it was about -1 here in Liverpool. I left it for a few hours and have just tried it and it seems to have fixed itself !!
+1 Again, opens from inside. drove for about 20/30 mins, got out and handle worked. now had this a few times in 'minus' temps. Presume cold related, but not ideal. Only ever had it with other cars in v cold temps.:depressed:

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to my driver door last year and again this year! Such an annoying issue when you're going to work in the morning and have to climb through the passenger seat to open the door. I spoke to the alfa garage last year and they said a few complaints but no idea of a fix

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hill holder not available fault came up on mine this morning but a couple of hours later cleared. Wonder if this was due to freezing temperatures as well?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had this happen on my old G drivers door, appeared to be due to the hole for the key letting in moisture, etc (no keyhole on the passenger side door handle). However in my current G the passenger side door has had the problems so far (handle replaced under warranty) which seems to debunk this theory.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh I'm the expert on this one !!

Happened to me 2 years after buying the car new.
Every morning if the temp was below zero, the drivers door would not open from the outside, only from inside. Soon as I got to work and the car had warmed up, handle worked fine again. Sometimes when you tried pulling the outer handle in the cold you could feel a 'click', like some connection has slipped or something.
Took it to the dealer where I bought the car from and was completely fobbed off. "its just frozen"... "they all do this"... After kicking off a bit they promised to escalate it to ARUK.. but never did.
Went (much out of my way) to another dealer who were much more helpful, had seen it before. They replaced the entire door latch mechanism. This fixed it. Was fine after that.

Until this morning.
Car is now 4.5yrs old and out of warranty. Did it again today.

And thats the death warrant signed off now for my G.
Engine & looks wise.. I love it. But all the little things and electrical issues... it's just not worth it anymore.
Nice car. Terrible build quality.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts