Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 156 just over a year, and it's always had this annoying problem which I've pretty much learned to live with.

However, for some reason, just recently it's beginning to annoy me more than usual.

This is the issue:

When I open the drivers door, there are the usual two points where it locks or catches (in order to stop the wind from blowing it open) while pulling it open. The problem is, my car makes a loud cracking noise at the points where it locks in place.

The passenger door locks in the same way but is silent in operation.

I've looked at the metal rod which sticks out between the hinges and given it a good 'ol grease. But that has made NO difference.

Sprayed a bit of WD40 in the gap till it was gushing out, but still no difference at all. Not even a slight improvement.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm thinking something is loose or worn inside the door...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Where the pin goes through the end of the check strap, the bit attached to the car door frame, chances are the pin is worn.
When the check strap tries to sit in one of the detents, it will 'snatch' and pull/push against the pin quite hard. Any play between the pin and the end of the strap will result in a loud crack.

Just changed the pins on a mate's car which was doing the same. They were only a quid and a bit each, bit tricky to press in but did the job.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem. The check-strap assembly bolts to the inside of the door - essentially a plate with a bolt either side of the opening. The plate on mine cracked meaning only one side of the assembly was secured properly - the resulting play gave the loud cracking noise. Can't have been good for the door either over time as there is added strain to a small area.

Bought the check strap as a complete assembly and once the door lining was removed it was a straightforward job. Can't remember price of the part but was somewhere between ok and expensive (25-35 euro?)

·
Administrator
46,085 Posts
All the above are true, but it can also be as simple as the bolt holding the check strap to the frame of the car are loose. Check that, and if they are tighten them up.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
If it's the same check strap unit as the 145, which it probably is, the fault, as others have said, is most likely to be a fracture of the bracket holding the assembly to the inside of the door. You may find that one of the screws holding it to the door is loose & that tightening it makes it a little bit quieter; that's a sure sign that it's broken.

It's a manufacturing problem which Alfa really should have sorted! The bracket is made from steel around 5mm thick, which is press-blanked & then bent to shape. Unfortunately there's a sharp corner right on the bend which forms a stress raiser, causing eventual failure. If it's left too long there's a danger the inner door where it mounts will crack.

The new part cost me (for a 145) around £16. Fitting's fairly straightforward.....as with any job inside a door, be prepared to lose a fair amount of skin off your hands!

·
Registered
472 Posts
bazza said:
All the above are true, but it can also be as simple as the bolt holding the check strap to the frame of the car are loose. Check that, and if they are tighten them up.
yup the last time i had that cracking sound turned out to be just a couple loose bolts on the check strap.

redd

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers all for the suggestions. Perhaps this weekend, weather permitting, I will take a look.

I assume removal of the door panel is straight forward enough?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts