Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Driver threw speed camera off cliff

1K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  HowardA 
#1 ·
From ananova.com

A Swiss driver flashed by a speed camera attacked it with a pick axe, ran it over with his car and threw it off a cliff.

The motorist used the pick axe to smash the camera free from its mountings, then drove what was left up a mountain to throw it off a cliff.

He was driving through the Swiss village of La Punt Chamues-ch in the Alps when he was flashed by the camera.

The film and camera were destroyed, but he was spotted by police as he threw the device off the cliff and arrested.

He faces a fine of up to £13,000 for destruction of public property.

#2 ·
mojo_jojo said:
From ananova.com

A Swiss driver flashed by a speed camera attacked it with a pick axe, ran it over with his car and threw it off a cliff.

The motorist used the pick axe to smash the camera free from its mountings, then drove what was left up a mountain to throw it off a cliff.

He was driving through the Swiss village of La Punt Chamues-ch in the Alps when he was flashed by the camera.

The film and camera were destroyed, but he was spotted by police as he threw the device off the cliff and arrested.

i bet he is wishing he just paid the fine now ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#11 ·
EddieGTA said:
Aside from the £13000 fine, I bet that was satisfying :D

And remember they are "safety" cameras, not speed cameras :cheese:
If the statistics are anything to go by, then in the UK the more speed cameras you have the higher the death toll and if you put in some more the death toll increases. But if you have no speed cameras the death toll decreases.

If true then maybe they are "population Control Cameras"

or even "motorist eradication cameras" :rolleyes:

#13 ·
I would like to see some piccies of that action... :lol:

G
#14 ·
Stori said:
If the statistics are anything to go by, then in the UK the more speed cameras you have the higher the death toll and if you put in some more the death toll increases. But if you have no speed cameras the death toll decreases.

If true then maybe they are "population Control Cameras"

or even "motorist eradication cameras" :rolleyes:

...and if you'll forgive me for a complete change of tack, I think I'm right in saying that when helmets became compulsory for cyclists in Australia, the death toll went up too. No doubt Blair will introduce the same legislation here too... :rolleyes:

#17 ·
mojo_jojo said:
From ananova.com

Sounds like fun - hundreds of cars burn every night in France these days - would be great if speed cameras were added to the list....

#19 ·
Stori said:
The cars are being burn by Pagans...Unfortunately they are not interested in Speed Cameras
Sorry -was probably inappropriate to make that analogy (though if the riots are about discrimination and racial injustice, then the "Pagans" may have a point...) - I just don't like speed cameras or any unecessary invasions of my privacy. One of the main things Bush & his cronies "accomplished" after 9/11 was a rolling back of major portions of the US Bill of Rights, especially with regard to privacy....

#20 ·
GTACharlie said:
Sorry -was probably inappropriate to make that analogy (though if the riots are about discrimination and racial injustice, then the "Pagans" may have a point...) - I just don't like speed cameras or any unecessary invasions of my privacy. One of the main things Bush & his cronies "accomplished" after 9/11 was a rolling back of major portions of the US Bill of Rights, especially with regard to privacy....
One thing you can be garanteed about Politicians...they want to control.

Eventually they squeeze the population so much that something has to break....(I have to be careful in what I say as Sedition laws may get me ;) )

#21 ·
What is it with the Swiss and speed cameras??? from today's Daily Telegraph :cheese:

Speeding driver is trapped four times by same camera in 1 min 37 sec
By David Rennie in Brussels
(Filed: 18/11/2005)

The world's most hapless driver faces the loss of his licence and a huge fine after being flashed by the same speed camera four times in the space of one minute and 37 seconds.

Throughout his record-breaking run, the 40-year-old motorist had no idea that he was passing a speed trap. His bafflement at being repeatedly flashed led him to pass the spot again and again.

The driver, a Turk whose identity cannot be revealed under Swiss privacy laws, told police that he thought someone was trying to annoy him with a flashgun and wanted to check "what was going on".

It was a feat requiring both precision driving and "a little bit of stupidity", police said.

The driver's unwitting achievement was made possible by the location of two roundabouts, a short distance apart, on either side of the camera, which is in a 50kph (31mph) zone in the centre of the town of Kreuzlingen.

The BMW's initial pass was made at a relatively sedate 36.6mph, just enough to trigger a flash from the camera mounted on top of a traffic light, which was set permanently at amber as it was night and traffic was light.

The driver headed back and passed the light again at 39mph - flash! That prompted him to double back for a fresh look, this time at 47mph - flash! That led to one last run - flash! - at just under 42mph. A single offence normally brings a fine of £110.

Rolf Müller, the director of communications for the Thurgau police, said: "Usually, speed cameras are in a box on their own. He could not believe it was on top of a traffic light."

He conceded that even the famously sober Swiss-German police found the incident "maybe a little amusing".

However, they will prosecute the man for four separate speeding offences, plus failing to wear a seat belt.

#22 ·
ed77 said:
What is it with the Swiss and speed cameras??? from today's Daily Telegraph :cheese:

The world's most hapless driver faces the loss of his licence and a huge fine after being flashed by the same speed camera four times in the space of one minute and 37 seconds.

Throughout his record-breaking run, the 40-year-old motorist had no idea that he was passing a speed trap. His bafflement at being repeatedly flashed led him to pass the spot again and again.

The driver, a Turk whose identity cannot be revealed under Swiss privacy laws, told police that he thought someone was trying to annoy him with a flashgun and wanted to check "what was going on".

It was a feat requiring both precision driving and "a little bit of stupidity", police said.

The driver's unwitting achievement was made possible by the location of two roundabouts, a short distance apart, on either side of the camera, which is in a 50kph (31mph) zone in the centre of the town of Kreuzlingen.

The BMW's initial pass was made at a relatively sedate 36.6mph, just enough to trigger a flash from the camera mounted on top of a traffic light, which was set permanently at amber as it was night and traffic was light.

The driver headed back and passed the light again at 39mph - flash! That prompted him to double back for a fresh look, this time at 47mph - flash! That led to one last run - flash! - at just under 42mph. A single offence normally brings a fine of £110.

Rolf Müller, the director of communications for the Thurgau police, said: "Usually, speed cameras are in a box on their own. He could not believe it was on top of a traffic light."

He conceded that even the famously sober Swiss-German police found the incident "maybe a little amusing".

However, they will prosecute the man for four separate speeding offences, plus failing to wear a seat belt.
thats classic :D

#24 ·
ed77 said:

Slight sympathy, however, he was not only speeding initially, he actually increased his speed whilst trying to look for a suspicious 'flashing'. Sounds like he was so hapless, he deserves to be banned :cheese: :cheese:

I find it strange to think that the traffic lights were set to stay orange - weird system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.