Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to drive the MiTo yesterday - dealer gave me the keys and said bugger off!

+ve points:

The engine is great - petrol turbo is a bit of a novelty for me. Great fun watching the boost gague on the dash!

Brakes are great and very responsive with good feel.

Interior seems very well put together with some nice touches.

The DNA system is fantastic - I loved the way you actually feel the difference as you were driving as you switched from D to N to A.

-ve:

The electric steering is nasty IMHO - its good at speed when in D mode, but at lower speeds it seemed totally devoid of feel.

Interior - strangely it also ****ed me off a bit! The carry over of certain switches from the Punto seemed to cheapen it for me, and I dont particularly like the CD player either. Pedals were also too close for me.

Sat down with the dealer and made my spec:

1.4Tb 155
Etna Black
Natural Leather
18" Tri-spoke alloys
Cruise Control
PDC
Blue and Me
BOSE
Chrome headlamp surrounds
Dual zone climate
Privacy glass
Probably a couple of other little things I have forgotten about!

21k Euro.

Only problem is I have a test drive lined up in the 500 Abarth soon, and im still not sure I can reconcile myself with the front end.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the interior space (including boot space etc) like???

Smaller than I would have liked.

Front seat passengers are fine, but anyone behind me would have a hard time.

The boot didnt seem so much bigger than the F500.:wow:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent bought anything yet.. The 4x4 is probably out due to Dutch Tax Free regulations.... the fact its an American import makes the paperwork 100x more complicated, or if you catch them on a bad day completely impossible.

So im thinking about saving myself the hassle on this occasion and getting a European model.

The F500 Abarth looks really tempting, plus its 4 k cheaper than the MiTo which is money I can spend on the engine!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Havent bought anything yet.. The 4x4 is probably out due to Dutch Tax Free regulations.... the fact its an American import makes the paperwork 100x more complicated, or if you catch them on a bad day completely impossible.

So im thinking about saving myself the hassle on this occasion and getting a European model.

The F500 Abarth looks really tempting, plus its 4 k cheaper than the MiTo which is money I can spend on the engine!

I've tested the 500 Abarth for exactly the same reason. Bought the Mito!
The 500 drives like a go-cart, in SS mode it is a nutter! But I have to cover 65 miles oneway to my office. Mostly motorway. That really kills the Abarth. There really is no sense of comfort.

And the top spec Mito is not that much slower..

Most of all: she is a true ALFA!:thumbs:

ciao
J

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test drove the Abarth 500 today................ and bought it.

So much better than the Mito in my opinion.

Bags of character, more visual appeal, cheaper! Drove a lot better too IMHO.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well - as long as you're happy - but surely the interior space is a lot smaller?
Im sure (know) that it will be technically smaller, but it didnt 'feel' any smaller than the MiTo. And to me thats whats most important.

The first thing I thought when I sat in a MiTo, was bloody hell this is small on the inside.

That was before I went anywhere near a 500. I think the MiTo has a bit of a reverse tardis effect going on!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Im sure (know) that it will be technically smaller, but it didnt 'feel' any smaller than the MiTo. And to me thats whats most important.

The first thing I thought when I sat in a MiTo, was bloody hell this is small on the inside.

That was before I went anywhere near a 500. I think the MiTo has a bit of a reverse tardis effect going on!
It's the windows. Much more of a sporty style going on, leading to less light, and a less airy cabin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts